• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • questions85

Jan 29, 2023
    Maryland
    About 20 years ago while attending university in Utah, someone I know was gifted a legally acquired handgun by close family all within Utah. The person though was a part-time Maryland resident, as that’s home, and they were not a full-fledged Utah resident during school. Coming back to MD a couple years later, the weapon simply came along with other possessions via declared common carrier mail.

Is there anything not permissible about this scenario? And, if so, what’s the best way to make things entirely above board? Last thing they want is a legitimate use of force scenario at home where everything is not entirely above board. Maryland weapons law is quite confusing!

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    So, basically, return it to the original family member in Utah and have them do whatever the now current process is for a family transfer ($0) from UT - MD?
    I have my own idea, but will let someone else who most likely knows for sure, chime in.

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    The MSP Portal manual covers the transfer types.

A “gift” transfer is between “immediate” family members. (e.g. spouse, child, mother, father, grandmother, grandfather, or grandchild) and there is no fee.

If it is outside of “immediate” relationship, it is considered a “secondary sale” and there is a $10 fee. (Just did this with my FIL.)

MSP Licensing Portal User Guide

I believe, however, there is a stipulation if both parties are not Maryland residents.

After you determine the type of transfer, you could call MSP and simply ask, generically, about how to perform a transfer between a MD resident and non-resident.

Last edited:

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County
    Unless I'm misreading the OP, the transfer took place as a gift 20 years ago!
    Firearm then moved to MD when the then student moved back home 18 years ago.
    Seems to me, legitimate gift from family member and no issue to be dealt with where MD is concerned.

IANAL and I could be mistaken.

questions85

Jan 29, 2023
    Maryland
    Unless I'm misreading the OP, the transfer took place as a gift 20 years ago!
    Firearm then moved to MD when the then student moved back home 18 years ago.
    Seems to me, legitimate gift from family member and no issue to be dealt with where MD is concerned.

IANAL and I could be mistaken.
    You read correctly. Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JBIRD EST.1984

Latest threads

Top Bottom