• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Well, if one is particularly stumped, you can search for an MSI update on the bill in question and check out the talking points, then form your own words on the matter. Not the most creative thing in the world, but certainly better than not writing our reps.

:thumbsup: That's how I got started. The e-mail tool makes it so easy to reach everyone, that we can crash a server or two with just a little effort.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Anyone have a boilerplate letter? I'm terrible at coming up with words in email and making them seem coherent...

Here's one of three I've sent so far to the entire delegation:

With the exception of my immediate family, all of my relatives live in Pennsylvania.

Many of them have a PA permit to carry.

Whenever I ask when they're going to come down for a visit, the subject of public safety pops up and they inevitably note only bad guys have guns in Maryland (their last visit was in 1991).

Maryland turns off many tourists and Maryland loses revenue in the process.

Permit holders of neighboring states have gone through the vetting process. This bill adds no fiscal burden on the State.

Please vote for H.B.52.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    rambling_one - that's a pretty powerful point to tie HB52 to loss of revenue for the state. Someone else gave some hypothetical figures regarding how much Md was losing not having 'shall issue', it was in the millions. I can imagine some people don't go out at night when they know they can't legally protect themselves, frankly I've stopped running at night, partly for this reason.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    The loss of revenue was brought up at the hearing today. Those Delegates that stayed (about 1/2) got to hear it.

kwcraft

No witty username
    Apr 7, 2009
    NOT MARYLAND
    The loss of revenue was brought up at the hearing today. Those Delegates that stayed (about 1/2) got to hear it.

Which delegates left? I find it pretty disrespectful to leave a hearing before its complete, especially with a number of the "Public" attending. I don't care what time it is, they are put there by us, we deserve their undivided attention.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Which delegates left? I find it pretty disrespectful to leave a hearing before its complete, especially with a number of the "Public" attending. I don't care what time it is, they are put there by us, we deserve their undivided attention.

Anderson, Waldstreicher,Rosenberg Simmons were notably absent.

Tractor Boy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 8, 2008
    Severn/Greenbelt/Iraq
    DAMMIT, DAMMIT, DAMMIT!!!!! I now work at the Naval Academy and got off at 1 today.......... wish I had known.

I was in uniform and also carrying so I dunno if I would have been allowed to stay. According to my job description, permit card, and my site lead I can carry anywhere and everywhere, as is part of my job. So if I can carry into Fed buildings, military installations and places of the like, could I be allowed to carry into these types of events???

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie

I learned that many are members of more than one committee and sometimes they have to hop around because they are scheduled at the same times.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I learned that many are members of more than one committee and sometimes they have to hop around because they are scheduled at the same times.

Usually I'd agree with this premise, however yesterday it was pretty blatant.

"Our" folks stayed until the end (and I know they had meetings as well) while the other side pretty much bailed out.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Usually I'd agree with this premise, however yesterday it was pretty blatant.
    Agreed...they stayed through the introduction and 1st panel, then left. Too bad too, because there were a couple of people that had really good information to share.

Speaking of which...is there any way to get those people in the first panel or two at the next hearing? I don't want to stifle what people want to say, nor am I saying that this first panel didn't have good info to share (they did), but it seemed like the longer we went on, the more delegates left. If we can get the best speakers with the best info up first, I think it betters our chances.

Another thing that bothered me....I like the idea of adding FL to the list of states, but talk about a red flag....did this get discussed with anyone before the ammendment was added? We stood a much better chance sticking with the contiguous states.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Agreed...they stayed through the introduction and 1st panel, then left. Too bad too, because there were a couple of people that had really good information to share.

Speaking of which...is there any way to get those people in the first panel at the next hearing? I don't want to stifle what people want to say, but it seemed like the longer we went on, the more delegates left. If we can get the best speakers with the best info up first, I think it betters our chances.

Another thing that bothered me....I like the idea of adding FL to the list of states, but talk about a red flag....did this get discussed with anyone before the ammendment was added? We stood a much better chance sticking with the contiguous states.

Was the FL amemdment actually added, or just discussed?

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Thanks to the out-of-state folks who came to Maryland in support of this bill. There was even a fellow from North Carolina there!

Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore
    Perhaps. Maybe word of his hypocrisy is getting out.

Or maybe he remembered getting his ass handed to him last year and decided to just shut up. ;)

'And the truth shall set' us free...eventually. He recognized me (I think so anyways...we made eye contact and little flash popped on his face and then he left a few minutes later). I may not be best example in the world for this, but I'm here and I'm pissed that I have to go begging to use a tool to support one of my fundamental human rights. I'm even more pissed when I get told to save my money and not even bother submitting my stuff.

F' all these "NO" folks and let's get some new ones in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JonWayneCampbell

Latest threads

Top Bottom