• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I want to get a HD shotgun for my sister. She has never shot a gun. She is small but tough. I was thinking 20 gauge or 410. Not a single shot. I don't want to spend a lot of money because other than taking her to the range to teach her how to use it, she will never shoot it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    20 gauge before .410. .410 is useless, in my mind, for defense. Ask her to try low recoil 12 gauge rounds as well. She just might surprise you.

My 11 year old daughter can send both 20 and 12 flyin' with the best of 'em.

nomo613

Nov 24, 2010
    pikesville
    get a mossy or 870, with a spec ops stock. that with manageable recoil 00 buck is both lethal and controllable.(the stock will take around 50-70% of the felt recoil out)

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    My girlfriend is 5"5ish and 113lbs. First time she ever shot was a the trap range. She shot 2 rounds of wobble with my 12ga 870 and felt done after. I'd say some low power .12 gauge as well.

Mr H

Banana'd
    I want to get a HD shotgun for my sister. She has never shot a gun. She is small but tough. I was thinking 20 gauge or 410. Not a single shot. I don't want to spend a lot of money because other than taking her to the range to teach her how to use it, she will never shoot it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Depending on her size, you might want to consider something along the lines of the Mossberg 500 youth 20ga.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Depends on size. Any of the big names can do a youth stock or have a stock with adjustable LOP. The recoil won't be much of an issue short of using a pistol grip. 12ga is preferred. I wouldn't want to get hit with it or a 20ga or .410 for that matter.. 12ga is just the standard and plenty of ammunition to choose from. If there is ever a need for it, she won't complain the recoil was too much. The bad guy will complain - if able - the 12ga hole(s) in him.

Rem. 870. Get the LE trade ins Lou45 has offered. Great price. Thinking of one for me.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    That is the beauty of a shotgun and why I stand by them as a HD piece. They are point and shoot. Can be reasonable from the hip or shouldered... a handgun takes more training then a shotgun I'd venture.

pakman916

Apr 23, 2011
    MoCo, MD
    I went out and bought a Remington 870 for HD (12ga). I changed the stock with the ATI folding stock (pistol grip) because I wanted more options with regards to where I could store it (in a drawer if necessary).

Turns out that the stock is too long for my wife's shorter arms. She can barely reach the foregrip to rack it. I should put the stock that it came with back on to see if it's too long as well. Regardless, I'm now looking for an adjustable stock to compensate for her shorter reach. I want to try the blackhawk spec ops knoxx stock (recoil reducing). Being able to adjust the stock length and reducing recoil seems like a winning combination.

If you don't plan on changing out the stock or grip, I recommend the mossburg 500 because of the location of the safety using a rifle grip. But for pistol grip, the Remington safety is in a better location.

And just my thoughts on the 12ga vs 20ga, I'd go with the 12ga. Why take chances with a smaller gauge home defense shotgun. If you had just one shot to take, which gun do you reach for to take down the bad guy? The 12ga is rough at first, but the more you shoot it, the better you learn to manage it and master it...even for smaller people.

Dec 6, 2011
    Federal LE 133 Reduced Recoil Buckshot is very manageable. A limbsaver recoil pad is also a great addition.

Sirex