• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    So, you want to buy a HD shotgun for Olive Oil, who has never shot a gun and who will never shoot it (your words). What's wrong with this picture? This sounds like a whole new twist on justifying the purchase of a gun for yourself! Sneaky! :innocent0

Sign her up for Jujitsu lessons at AACC.

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Why not take her to the range sometime and let have at it with a .22 either rifle or pistol? Maybe without the fear of recoil and noise, she might enjoy shooting. Have her bring a friend so it becomes more of a social experience for her and less intimidating.

The mechanics of shooting are the same regardless of caliber, so get her a little practice on something enjoyable and tell her to put the HD 12 guage under her arm pit and hold on tight if she ever needs to use it.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    You're not turning your wife into a SWAT officer. This is a tool for the defense of her, her family. Few runs with the shotgun she will realize it kicks like a mule but can be handled. She doesn't need to join MSI and NRA. Just be proficient enough to shoot it in case.

OH IT'S KINO

Southerner
    Feb 16, 2011
    Ameritopia
    This might be an unpopular opinion, but if you want something for HD for your wife who will unlikely shoot often, my vote is for a handgun. Especially for a small lady who's unfamiliar with them, a shotgun can be unwieldy, awkward, and very intimidating. Also, it requires the use of two hands which will keep her from being able to do anything else (i.e. open doors or, more importantly, dial a phone). I would think about something along the lines of a .38 special revolver. Just my .02.

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    This might be an unpopular opinion, but if you want something for HD for your wife who will unlikely shoot often, my vote is for a handgun. Especially for a small lady who's unfamiliar with them, a shotgun can be unwieldy, awkward, and very intimidating. Also, it requires the use of two hands which will keep her from being able to do anything else (i.e. open doors or, more importantly, dial a phone). I would think about something along the lines of a .38 special revolver. Just my .02.
    It's his sister, not wife but I have to agree. A shotgun in the hands of someone that doesn't know how to use it or can't handle it, will likely have it taken away and used against them when they need it. She is better off with pepper spray, maybe a taser or even a baseball bat.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008

two hands on the gun. If someone is in the house you get to a safe spot, get armed and call. If they come in, fatal funnel doorway, get em. You are not training her to be SWAT, it is unwise to go room clearing with no training and practice doing so.

OH IT'S KINO

Southerner
    Feb 16, 2011
    Ameritopia
    two hands on the gun. If someone is in the house you get to a safe spot, get armed and call. If they come in, fatal funnel doorway, get em. You are not training her to be SWAT, it is unwise to go room clearing with no training and practice doing so.

In a situation where you may need a gun, it is MUCH easier to manage a handgun and a phone vs. a shotgun and a phone. Not saying it's ideal, but it's easier.

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    In a situation where you may need a gun, it is MUCH easier to manage a handgun and a phone vs. a shotgun and a phone. Not saying it's ideal, but it's easier.

This is true, and is not a point to be ignored. This is of course why I have both next to me while I sleep; 12 ga for superior firepower, handgun if I need to use a hand to dial 911, etc. If you have a significant other, I think it makes a lot of sense to have one of each, so that one of you can use the phone while the other maintains lead superiority. No sense in having two handguns or two shotguns (unless it's two handguns AND two shotguns :D).

Also, an 18" shotgun can be very unwieldy in a small house, such as my own (rowhouse in Baltimore City). It's not possible to navigate through any hallway or doorway without lowering the gun. Not that you should be "clearing" your house or anything, but again, if we're talking about spaces so tight you can't even maneuver a shotgun, those are also spaces where you simply can't miss with a handgun (again, as long as you have some practice/training). And, you still have a hand free to defend yourself, open doorknobs, lock deadbolts, etc.

There's no one single good answer; either/or ought to be more than sufficient in 99.9% of cases anyway.

Captnstabn

Apr 22, 2010
    I bought a mossberg 20g youth as a HD weapon, so my girlfriend would be able to shoot it as well. I will say, a 20g buckshot load from that gun is almost as bad as a 12g load. With the furniture being synthetic, the gun is extremely light, which makes the felt recoil that much worse. She had no interest in shooting it after the first shot.

If I were gonna do it over, I would get a youth 12g and use recoil reducing loads. The versatility of 12g shells, mixed with a little heavier gun would be more practical.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    OP, if you buy a handgun for her, get something like an all-steel 2" J-frame or SP101 revolver and put laser grips on it. A snub with a laser has a big advantage for a woman in a home-defense scenario against a male perp in that there isn't a 4" to 6" barrel for a perp to easily grab. Load it with quality .38Sp +P hollow points, like Speer Gold Dot, Hornady Critical Defense, or Winchester Silvertip.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008

I've never taken my phone to the range, never seen anyone practice with a phone at any range ever.... Sounds practical.:innocent0

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    It's his sister, not wife but I have to agree. A shotgun in the hands of someone that doesn't know how to use it or can't handle it, will likely have it taken away and used against them when they need it. She is better off with pepper spray, maybe a taser or even a baseball bat.

The bat, taser and spray cannot be used against her. Check.

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Your comment, though I'm sure cunning in your own mind, is pointless and not counter to my statement.

I've never seen a duck play poker either... With a phone.

The idea of a gun in one hand and phone in the other is pretty far out there.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    "Your comment, though I'm sure cunning in your own mind, is pointless"

Yeah, sure is a bunch of this stuff going on. It's not only in this thread, but on this site in general. Makes me laugh. I just hope that not too many people take some of the suggestions too seriously. Sounds like talk around a high school cafeteria table at times. Armchair commandos.

OH IT'S KINO

Southerner
    Feb 16, 2011
    Ameritopia
    "Your comment, though I'm sure cunning in your own mind, is pointless"

Yeah, sure is a bunch of this stuff going on. It's not only in this thread, but on this site in general. Makes me laugh. I just hope that not too many people take some of the suggestions too seriously. Sounds like talk around a high school cafeteria table at times. Armchair commandos.

What do you mean by "this stuff"? My comment wasn't meant to be "cunning" or "armchair commando." I was simply trying to make sense of his "cunning" comment on my own suggestion, which I feel is very valid.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    What do you mean by "this stuff"? My comment wasn't meant to be "cunning" or "armchair commando." I was simply trying to make sense of his "cunning" comment on my own suggestion, which I feel is very valid.

Not directed at you. Just pointing out that there seems to be a lot of recommendations in general based on a lack of experience and in some cases, common sense. Again, not directed at you. Bear in mind that what seems to be valid to one person is meaningless to someone else. Recommending anything along the lines of a gun for someone who has never shot before is no more than a wild guess. Once someone is introduced to shooting, is comfortable shooting, is not afraid of the gun and some forms of shooting become second nature..... I doubt very much that they need to go to a forum to figure out what might be best to protect themselves with. Real world situations are not a silly IDPA match. Been there, done that.

Anyone who is seriously interested in this subject and who has a lack of experience (most people), would be well served to learn some form of self defense and maybe a related firearms course with a commitment to practice afterwards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tharper429

Latest threads

Top Bottom