• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • A. Wayne

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2011
    I wouldn't recommend a gun unless she is actually interested in one and tries out some. If SHE is actually worried about home defense help her to investigate all options.

C-Par

Nov 6, 2011
    Brooklyn, MD
    20 gauge before .410. .410 is useless, in my mind, for defense. Ask her to try low recoil 12 gauge rounds as well. She just might surprise you.

My 11 year old daughter can send both 20 and 12 flyin' with the best of 'em.

I tend to disagree, I would not like to be on the receiving end of my Saiga 410 with a 15 rd or 20 rd drum loaded with PD rounds. Plenty of punch with relatively low recoil coming at you fast.

There is also the Judge and Governor that can pack a punch.

shocker998md

Ultimate Member
    May 29, 2009
    Snow Hill MD
    If she does get to the point of where she will use a weapon to defend herself or family have her shoot a 20 and a 12 before buying something.

Case in point, my wife shoots with me often. I have two remington 870s, the 12 guage has the knox stock with the recoil reducing springs, extended tube, surefire front grip 18 inch barrel and a red dot. Its alot heavier then my 20 guage, but the kick is ALOT less. Once she realized that she wanted to practice with the 12 guage.

The 20 guage is a plain jane 870 with a 28 inch barrel maybe, something to the tune of that. Now she is able to use the 12 guage which stays next to the bed without me coaching her through it. This is my 2 cents.

Do not waste ur time and money though if she cannot deal with the idea of having to take someones life to protect herself or her family. And if shes not going to practice with it ur pissing into the wind too.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    This is the 870 Express that I set-up for my daughter.

Erins8701.jpg

I added a Wilson +2 magazine extension and a Knoxx PowerPak, along with a Mesa Tactical 4 round 'sidesaddle'.
    The magazine extension adds too much weight up front for my daughter, so, I took it off.

Her first range trip, she shot 250 rounds of various different types of shells.
    #7-1/2, #6, #4, 00B and Slugs.

She loves "Her Scattergun"!!:D

rebrowning

From poor side of family
    Feb 16, 2012
    Fort Washington, PG County
    Problems with Mossbergs

Think hard before buying a Mossberg. Mossberg’s customer service is arguably the worst in the industry. While this is my personal tale of woe, there are many I have spoken to that have the similar experiences. I recommend saving up your spare change and buying Remington or better yet Benelli. It took me 9 phone calls and 36 days to get my shotgun problem addressed. I have called the Director of customer service, Steve Clark 3 times and never received a return call. I sent a letter to Alan Mossberg at cooperate headquarters in North Haven CT and have not received any reply. It is clear from the length of time you must hold to get a customer service representative, Mossberg has serious quality control issues. Buyer beware.

XxNitr0xX

Tacticool
    Apr 11, 2011
    My computer
    Think hard before buying a Mossberg. Mossberg’s customer service is arguably the worst in the industry. While this is my personal tale of woe, there are many I have spoken to that have the similar experiences. I recommend saving up your spare change and buying Remington or better yet Benelli. It took me 9 phone calls and 36 days to get my shotgun problem addressed. I have called the Director of customer service, Steve Clark 3 times and never received a return call. I sent a letter to Alan Mossberg at cooperate headquarters in North Haven CT and have not received any reply. It is clear from the length of time you must hold to get a customer service representative, Mossberg has serious quality control issues. Buyer beware.

You really have a personal vendetta against Mossberg, don't you? You shouldn't even be expecting that much from customer service, unless it absolutely needed to be replaced and not fixed by yourself or a gunsmith..then it's understandable.

Regal Lion

Right Wing Nut Job
    Feb 16, 2012
    Prince George's County
    You really have a personal vendetta against Mossberg, don't you? You shouldn't even be expecting that much from customer service, unless it absolutely needed to be replaced and not fixed by yourself or a gunsmith..then it's understandable.

I'm not sure why you would not expect a company to stand behind their product. Maybe I missed something but it didn't say anything about replacing the shotgun only "address the problem." I had a Taurus PT 101 that for some reason started shooting 6" left at 7 yards. None of my buddies could figure it out either. They suggested I send it back to Taurus. I called and they sent me a shipping label. I had the pistol back in 10 days with a new barrel, all without hassle.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    I'm not sure why you would not expect a company to stand behind their product. Maybe I missed something but it didn't say anything about replacing the shotgun only "address the problem." I had a Taurus PT 101 that for some reason started shooting 6" left at 7 yards. None of my buddies could figure it out either. They suggested I send it back to Taurus. I called and they sent me a shipping label. I had the pistol back in 10 days with a new barrel, all without hassle.

No he has 5 posts. 3 or 4 of them bash Mossberg.

boss66tcode

a bit of an Eddie Haskle
    Sep 8, 2008
    in 'da hills

There are plenty of used shotguns on the market such that a remmy 870, mossy 500 (even though you don't like them) or winchester shotgun bought used will serve a home defense role well. Keeping it simple sometimes has a value. This is one of those occasions.

None of the mainstream bread and butter gun manufacturers are going bonkers on an excellent customer service department. Right now, it seems everyone wants price, and they are trying to stay competitive.

Forager

Imported curmudgeon
    Feb 12, 2012
    In the Lion's den
    If you absolutely have to have a pump, a used Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 is the way to go. Police trade-ins are very available in many different places (check with Streicher's locations; the one in Greensboro, NC usually has a few), and while cosmetically abused, mechanically they are very sound and very slick. I've bought several that way and never paid more than $200; generally closer to 1/2 that.

Either the 870 or the 500 are the most bomb-proof pumps on the market, and two of the 5 most bomb-proof pumps ever designed (Winchester 1897 and Model 12, and Ithaca Deerslayer being the other two). You have to try to go wrong with them, and parts are available just about everywhere imaginable.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Forager said:
    If you absolutely have to have a pump, a used Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 is the way to go. Police trade-ins are very available in many different places (check with Streicher's locations; the one in Greensboro, NC usually has a few), and while cosmetically abused, mechanically they are very sound and very slick. I've bought several that way and never paid more than $200; generally closer to 1/2 that.

Either the 870 or the 500 are the most bomb-proof pumps on the market, and two of the 5 most bomb-proof pumps ever designed (Winchester 1897 and Model 12, and Ithaca Deerslayer being the other two). You have to try to go wrong with them, and parts are available just about everywhere imaginable.

I've got a 500 and a Maverick 88, the quality differences are noticeable which is why the 500 is my go to shotgun. I can't imagine either not functioning though, they seem rather simple and unbreakable. Might sell the Maverick at some point though, it's not really a necessity in my collection and just takes up space that something else could.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom