• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    What mount were you using on that Grendel?

I am thinking of getting these flip covers. I hate that these expensive scopes don't include an integrated flip cover. My Vortex Red Dot included one.

Scope Flip Cover
    I'm pretty sure that Viper scope you ordered comes with flip covers. At $100 I'd pass on those. I don't use scope covers anymore due to them getting in the way.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    I'm pretty sure that Viper scope you ordered comes with flip covers. At $100 I'd pass on those. I don't use scope covers anymore due to them getting in the way.

I don't think it does. It might include those rubberbanded end-cap covers. They aren't shown in the picture of it and not listed in the included items.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    OK so rings are all over the board price-wise. I was thinking cantilevered. I have some Monstrum rings and they are fine. No issues at all they do not come loose and are very firm in the mounts. Anyone have an opinion on rings?

Monstrum
    I went with this qd mount. It's been solid for me.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    They're not so bad from other places
    $34
    1672783238378.png

$170
    1672783279190.png

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    With FFP I should be able to dial it anywhere I want without effecting MOA, correct? This will be my first FFP scope.

That’s correct. As you change magnification, the size of the reticle changes proportionally to the zoom. The more zoom the larger the reticle appears. The ONLY downside to FFP is that at very low magnification, the reticle can be really small and sometimes difficult to see in low light conditions. This really isn’t an issue if you are aiming for printed or painted steel targets, which is most likely your main use case. It can be a slight issue say hunting where the contrast between the reticle and say trees in the background may be slight especially at dawn or dusk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    My scope is arriving today. Does anyone use the sunshade? Even on reviews no one seems to use it. It does make it look cooler but other than that does it actually help with the sun?

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    My scope is arriving today. Does anyone use the sunshade? Even on reviews no one seems to use it. It does make it look cooler but other than that does it actually help with the sun?
    I do. If the sun is forward of the objective, it can show up on the scope and haze things out a bit. With the shade, you have to nearly be shooting directly at the sun for it to be an issue. It doesn't weigh anything and the bulk doesn't matter on a gun like this, so I just keep it on most times. I feel like it also helps with heat mirage, but it might be my mind playing tricks.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    +1 on the Monstrums. I buy them for $18 and lap them with my Wheeler tool. Reassemble and Blue Loctite when I'm happy with their location. The extra 10 minutes of my time lapping is nice mental insurance.
    Inexpensive doesn't always mean junk. Read the reviews on Monstrum mounts- you'll be oddly amazed.

I am debating getting the lapping tool. Do you think it made any real difference? Should I wait until I mount the scope to see if it even needs to be lapped? With a one piece mount I wonder how much it can be off.

Wheeler Lapping Tool Amazon

I am debating getting the lapping tool. Do you think it made any real difference? Should I wait until I mount the scope to see if it even needs to be lapped? With a one piece mount I wonder how much it can be off.

It lets you know rather quickly how true the scope rings are. After as little as 15-20 swipes with a mild abrasive, you can see some areas of the rings are ground down and others barely have the paint/coating dulled. Does it affect the performance of the scope? I don't know.
    You're welcome to borrow mine, but the travel time to pick it up and drop it off probably negates any savings.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    It lets you know rather quickly how true the scope rings are. After as little as 15-20 swipes with a mild abrasive, you can see some areas of the rings are ground down and others barely have the paint/coating dulled. Does it affect the performance of the scope? I don't know.
    You're welcome to borrow mine, but the travel time to pick it up and drop it off probably negates any savings.

If the rings are really bad it certainly can effect things by slightly bending the scope body, or changing the POI as environmental conditions change. Ed Shell would probably say you do these little things to eliminate the potential variances that might occur. When you are trying to hit a 1 MOA plate at 1000 yds away, your goal is to control all of the things you can control, so that you can stay focused on the few things you can’t control. Mainly wind.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    If the rings are really bad it certainly can effect things by slightly bending the scope body, or changing the POI as environmental conditions change. Ed Shell would probably say you do these little things to eliminate the potential variances that might occur. When you are trying to hit a 1 MOA plate at 1000 yds away, your goal is to control all of the things you can control, so that you can stay focused on the few things you can’t control. Mainly wind.

I went ahead and bought the lapping kit. No biggie lapping the rings looks like it takes 10 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scooby225

Latest threads

Top Bottom