• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    I have a RRA forged lower pre-ban along with a lower parts kit. Also have a Hera stock and foregrip. I need a complete upper with BCG. Not set on caliber it just needs to work with my lower. I don't want to spend more than $500. Any help appreciated. I'm kind of doing this build because I have this Hera stock set. I have no interest in a pistol build.

I already have .300BO and .556 ARs but doesn't mean I wouldn't build another in these calibers.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    $500?

I’d go with something with a cold hammer forged Barrel from palmetto state armory. I built an entire MK 18 clone for about $500 from PSA.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

I had a pre-2013 lower laying around and went this route. Very happy with it so far. It's been reliable through a few hundred shots and dumps brass where it should. I still need to get out to a proper rifle range to check accuracy.
    20221224_211110.jpg

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    How about a Grendel upper?
    20220305_193409.jpg

I looooooooooove my grendel, but ammo is kindve hard to get unless you order it online. It's also kind've a shame to burn a preban lower on a build that doesn't need one.

Heads up, while this PSA grendel is a sub moa upper... the psa adjustable gas block leaked like a MF and needed to be swapped to get this to run. I even sent it back to psa to fix, but they didn't. You could see powder fouling all over the front and back of the psa adjustable gas block and it only ran well suppressed. I tossed an AERO adjustable gas block on it and now it runs reliably.
    Here's the psa gas block...
    Screenshot_20221228_220514_Gallery.jpg

Here's the aero gas block I put on that fixed the issue. It's been great.
    Screenshot_20221228_220554_Gallery.jpg

Here's a group at 100 yds with hornady custum grendel food
    Screenshot_20221228_220316_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Honestly I prefer a long range shooter. Can you get a 6.5 Creedmore in an AR-15 lower or is the cartridge too long?
    You'd need a .308 action. Grendel or 6mm arc would be your best bets for a long range shooter in an ar15 pattern. The 6mmarc is much more accessible in stores.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Using the Hera furniture, if not going SBR, then do a 14.5” 5.56 with a full length rail; one that will let the forgrip snug up to the receiver; for the space gun look.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Another vote for 6.5 Grendel. This is an 18" Odin Works barrel, Midwest Industries handguard, and I think an Aero upper receiver. You might even want a 20" barrel for 6.5 Grendel.

That being said; get a post-ban lower for the Grendel and build a non-hbar 5.56 upper for the pre-ban. I think the 14.5" PSA upper is a cool choice.

rifle-65g-psa.jpg

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    Another vote for 6.5 Grendel. This is an 18" Odin Works barrel, Midwest Industries handguard, and I think an Aero upper receiver. You might even want a 20" barrel for 6.5 Grendel.

That being said; get a post-ban lower for the Grendel and build a non-hbar 5.56 upper for the pre-ban. I think the 14.5" PSA upper is a cool choice.

View attachment 394056

I think the 6.5 Grendel is going to be the winner. And I do want 20" and even saw a 24" that I might consider. What you have here is essentially what I want to build (down to the Vortex optics).

I have 5 built pre-ban ARs and another 4 pre-ban lowers. I am not terribly concerned about wasting a lower on a pre-ban build.

I just need to find a good deal on one. OpticsPlanet (lol yeah I know, everyone's favorite) is running a special on Aero Precision uppers. I'll look around though. Gonna be hard to stay within my $500 budget since I also need a BCG.

Question: Does 6.5 Grendel use standard AR-15 magazines?

Is this junk?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I think the 6.5 Grendel is going to be the winner. And I do want 20" and even saw a 24" that I might consider. What you have here is essentially what I want to build (down to the Vortex optics).

I have 5 built pre-ban ARs and another 4 pre-ban lowers. I am not terribly concerned about wasting a lower on a pre-ban build.

I just need to find a good deal on one. OpticsPlanet (lol yeah I know, everyone's favorite) is running a special on Aero Precision uppers. I'll look around though. Gonna be hard to stay within my $500 budget since I also need a BCG.

Question: Does 6.5 Grendel use standard AR-15 magazines?

Is this junk?

The mag question goes two ways, some say you can use a standard AR mag while others recommend changing the follower due to a different cartridge profile. I don't own one so I can't really comment, other than to say swapping out followers is a minuscule task.

I know nothing about the 'Nuge' upper. I would search for reviews if no one comments here.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    The mag question goes two ways, some say you can use a standard AR mag while others recommend changing the follower due to a different cartridge profile. I don't own one so I can't really comment, other than to say swapping out followers is a minuscule task.

I know nothing about the 'Nuge' upper. I would search for reviews if no one comments here.

I can't find any reviews on Aagile arms. I found a bunch asking about them but no actually reviews.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Honestly, for fitment reasons, Id use a RRA forged upper, and a faxon 14.5" barrel with low profile pinned and welded muzzle device. Adjustable gas block (I like SA but there are some other good ones). And whatever BCG suits your fancy (I like BCM and faxon but there are many good ones)

I would chamber it in 5.56 because that is the only caliber that benefits from a non-hbar on a preban lower (other calibers, the barrel profile doesn't matter). If. it isn't 5.56 AND DI then the HBAR requirement doesn't exist.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I can't find any reviews on Aagile arms. I found a bunch asking about them but no actually reviews.
    Lol. I just went to their site and clicked on "read reviews". They required me to open an account to read reviews? I'll pass.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    Put in for an in stock notification on this upper with scope. It is likely within your budget and you'll have everything you need except a magazine.

Thanks I put in for notification. Any idea what this sells for when in-stock?

Lol. I just went to their site and clicked on "read reviews". They required me to open an account to read reviews? I'll pass.

I wouldn't trust anything on their site anyway. At best they leave out bad reviews. I also can't tell where they are made. I sent an email request to them to see where they are made hopefully they answer. Website is very Mickey Mouse. Maybe it is just a startup?

The highlighted part plus you taking up reloading makes the 6.5 Grendel a no brainer. They are really efficient cartridges.
    This is mine at Peacemaker a few years ago...

For sure I would reload this. Buy once, cry once on ammo. 100 rounds should last me years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom