HERE we go... She wants a little teeny gun now!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    So we're at Freestate and Theresa starts eyeing up this thing that looks like cigarette lighter. Then she starts talking about wanting something really small for CCW. (She's really small.)

We take a closer look at the one she took a likin' to, (really shiny one :sad20: ) and I notice the word "Raven". Well, having just read bad stuff about them, I nixed that.

There were a couple others she was interested in made by North American Arms. But I don't know much about them.

But at least she's interested in getting another gun - and for practical reasons!

We've been very happy with the Rugers (2) that we already own. So I've been looking at the LCP. I've seen both good and bad comments on it here.

At least I know what I can get her for her birthday.
    :)

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    LCP's are a handful. NAA makes decent stuff and so does Seecamp. I believe the NAA pocket pistols are direct copies of the Seecamps. I haven't heard much about them lately but the Boberg XR9's are an interesting concept and may be worth looking into. The biggest downfall I see with the Bobergs is the price, MSRP was running somewhere around 900.

Edit...Just checked the Boberg site. Their production is moving at a snails pace since they seem to be handcrafting all the guns and tuning the mags to each gun. The XR9's are going for 2k on GB :(.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Have you had the conversation about the relationship between recoil, gun weight, inertia, and stopping power? The smaller pistols are light and cute. Consequently they are not much fun to shoot. IMHO to carry a gun the individual should be well practiced with that weapon.

I carry a P64 (commie Walther PPK) sometimes. It is cute, slim, and ready to knock someone down. However like most small guns, it is not a beginner pistol.

Sounds like you have a good lady.:thumbsup:

Ruzo

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2011
    Phoenix, MD.
    Hey Safe its me Bryan from the Range. I gave ya that holster during the pistol class. Let me know when you're going again, and I'll let her try out my Sig p238. I also have the LCP and the other poster is right, its like shaking hands with a gorilla with torrets. The Sig is way sweeter to shoot.

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    Bauers aren't made any more. A company called Precision Small Arms makes a copy of the Bauer.

PSARight.jpg

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Bauers aren't made any more. A company called Precision Small Arms makes a copy of the Bauer. Here's mine:

PSARight.jpg

Horst & McCann had a Bauer a couple of years ago for $275. I should have bought it. Saw another at a gun show here in NC, but I already had a .25 I really didn't want.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    If it has to be really tiny, my favorite by far is the Baby Browning. If new, Kahr P380. Once you see the Kahr, you'll probably forget about the LCP, despite the Kahr's higher price.

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    She doesn't really like revolvers.

I want to keep the caliber up to at least .380. (I'd prefer 9mm, but probably unrealistic in a gun the size she's now talking about.) I want her to have more stopping power that that which comes with a small caliber handgun.

@ Bryan - I know the price point on the Sig p238 would turn her off. She's the one who writes the household and business checks to pay the bills. And when I start talking money out of her comfort zone, she chases me around the house with "the calender".

OTOH, I would love to let her try out your LCP! Do you have any "regular times" that you are at Freestate? If so, maybe we can make it a point to meet you out there and send a few down range.

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    I'd add the LCP or Springfield Bodyguard 380.

Did you mean S&W Bodyguard?

Just took a look at that. Looks like a decent gun. But I'm not sure how I feel about an integrated laser.

Are they reliable? (The laser part)

And I wonder if she would have the mindset (under duress) to be able to turn it on when nanoseconds count. Or would it just become a potentially deadly distraction.

Thoughts?

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    LCP's the way to go IMHO. I got one last year, my fiancé enjoys shooting it, and with the CT laser it is easy and capable of being consistent. For a large handed male it'll take some getting used to, you really have to hold it deep in your hand to get a good grip and shoot consistently. Mine has fed, fired, and ejected hundreds of trouble free rounds so far. My only concern if I were to CCW it would be the focus on the grip in a moment of crisis. Before I added the CT's it was shooting minute of basketball for me at about 10yds. Now I can group in a baseball size at the same range.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I like my LCP. It is a handful, and not a range gun. It has been 100% reliable for the, though, and it is what I often carry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jlng1984

Latest threads

Top Bottom