• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brute

Unwitting Accomplice
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2020
    Laurel
    Heritage Training & Shooting's range in Frederick will no longer be open to the public as of 10/1. The retail side will stay open. Announcement at the link:

I only shot there once a couple years ago, it was a nice facility. But their class costs were a lot more expensive than most others.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I never shot there but that is a bummer.

I would think that Sat or Sunday would still be open to the public some, but guess not.

Hope it works out for them. The retail side may suffer if people can't also shoot there.

fwgj

MDS Supporter
    Apr 18, 2022
    Up County MoCo
    I am (was?) a member and other than Guntry an hour away in Ownings Mills, it was a safe, high end facility that I enjoyed shooting at. VERY disappointing news. The range will remain open to public until Oct 1. Will be there a lot in Sept, that's for sure.....Haven't been a fan of MGN (but that may have to change) and have never tried Gilbert Shooting Range in Rockville (but will have to give them a shot now....pun intended)

Wish someone would build an XCAL in MD near me....would be a member in a heartbeat and spend the full weekends there......

Other than Gilbert and MGN, are there any other public range options in Moco or Frederick? Will I need to start looking for ranges in HoCo?

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Made me look ! A combination gym , shooting range , and piano bar . That's certainly Unique .

fwgj

MDS Supporter
    Apr 18, 2022
    Up County MoCo
    Made me look ! A combination gym , shooting range , and piano bar . That's certainly Unique .
    XCal is pretty cool. Was out in Ashburn as the facility was next to a TopGolf I visited with friends. If I relocate to VA, I will make sure I'm within 20-30 min drive......

N3YMY

Ultimate Member
    Jan 21, 2013
    I only shot there once a couple years ago, it was a nice facility. But their class costs were a lot more expensive than most others.
    Not sure which is worse.

Losing access to one of the few places the public can shoot, or the fact they are so expensive and now we will ALL be funding it at a higher price via our government…

RennBaer

Aug 16, 2022
    NY-istan
    This is now the 3rd shooting facility in MD, VA, and WV to close to the public and become agency-only in just the past year. I hope it backfires spectacularly. There are already too few places for civilians to legally shoot.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    This trend is going to pick up speed until the money tap turns off. Then the places that went agency only will either be bought by the new contract holder (see SPAS) for pennies on the dollar or they will reopen to the public. People will patronize them again. The cycle will continue.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Federal LE agencies should do what the FBI did for Frederick City, they funded and built their range. Would be great for the agency and small police depts. They have a 25 point line, Range shack, Classroom and SIMS house. We used it all the time. It's sweet actually.

dwb1987

Mar 6, 2013
    Frederick County
    I think the MGN put a real dent in their business. Not as nice but price rules

Yeah Heritage at $59 a month is crazy, not hard choice for most when MGN comes in at $325/yr. Both are $25/hr for non members though. Being open more than 25hrs a week also is a big plus for MGN. For $600/yr you better be open 10 hrs a day all week. The facilities and staff at Heritage are way better for sure. MGN would be more palpable for me if they had separate ranges, one for people bringing their own guns and then another for tourists renting machine guns.

This really sucks though. Wonder if the recent negligent shooting they had recently played any effect on this change. Their insurance cost has to be astronomical.

Are they still going to do training for lowly civilians?

fwgj

MDS Supporter
    Apr 18, 2022
    Up County MoCo
    MGN would be more palpable for me if they had separate ranges, one for people bringing their own guns and then another for tourists renting machine guns.

This really sucks though. Wonder if the recent negligent shooting they had recently played any effect on this change. Their insurance cost has to be astronomical.

Are they still going to do training for lowly civilians?
    As I mentioned earlier, it only took one visit to MGN with the youngsters looking for the "biggest rifle they could rent" to keep me at Heritage, higher cost or not. I too wondered how much the Feb accident played into this. Heritage will still offer their training classes from what I understand and heard when I talked to Customer Service yesterday.

csanc123

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2009
    Montgomery County
    I am (was?) a member and other than Guntry an hour away in Ownings Mills, it was a safe, high end facility that I enjoyed shooting at. VERY disappointing news. The range will remain open to public until Oct 1. Will be there a lot in Sept, that's for sure.....Haven't been a fan of MGN (but that may have to change) and have never tried Gilbert Shooting Range in Rockville (but will have to give them a shot now....pun intended)

Wish someone would build an XCAL in MD near me....would be a member in a heartbeat and spend the full weekends there......

Other than Gilbert and MGN, are there any other public range options in Moco or Frederick? Will I need to start looking for ranges in HoCo?
    Just opinion...but I certainly disliked Gilbert's...must buy their ammo to shoot at the range...cannot bring your own.

I've had no issues at MGN. Friendly staff...The range officers always keep an eye out and are very helpful. Heritage was great too....a fancy version of a range. Too bad they (Heritage) are changing their operational model...it leaves little in the way of options for many. But...definitely no to Gilbert's. That place just left a perpetual distaste for me. Your mileage may vary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom