• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Epiphany

Feb 5, 2023
    MoCo
    As I mentioned earlier, it only took one visit to MGN with the youngsters looking for the "biggest rifle they could rent" to keep me at Heritage, higher cost or not. I too wondered how much the Feb accident played into this. Heritage will still offer their training classes from what I understand and heard when I talked to Customer Service yesterday.

I concur, and am mourning the loss of being able to reserve a time, show up, walk right in, the range is only ever half full at 9am, and I never have to wait, or clean up (even though I do).

RSOs were always attentive, I will probably go each weekend until they close just to enjoy it.

I suspect the Feb incident played a role as well, there’s no way they wouldn’t otherwise do public only Sat/Sun and open additional weekdays for Agencies.

MGN is where I first shot, and it was fine, but, I haven’t been back since discovering Heritage…

They are often understaffed, and I’ve only ever gone on weekdays in the early afternoon and still frequently had to wait. I’m dreading trying to learn what time to show up on a weekend to not have to wait an hour…

I wonder how much capital one needs to open a range???

fwgj

MDS Supporter
    Apr 18, 2022
    Up County MoCo
    I wonder how much capital one needs to open a range???

Trust and believe, some of my shooting buddies and I have floated the idea...

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    one those prices are insane for well used guns.
    two, sounds like its time for someone to open another range.

Lol, not a deal to be had. For rental guns, those prices are ridiculous.
    I agree, their prices are way to high. So, For sh#ts and giggles I stoped in there earlier today.
    They were almost sold out of everything! I was then told the list they posted, was only a partial list. I couldn’t believe it!
    some guns looked brand new, and some others looked like they were dragged behind a truck.

dwb1987

Mar 6, 2013
    Frederick County
    There was only 2 guns on their entire rental list that wern't priced pants on head crazy, a Glock 31 and 33. (Few months ago when I went to shoot I asked what their price was for .357sig. They said $65 for range FMJ. Sorry but I have gotten .357sig range ammo for $20-25/box 50 for the past year). Everything else was priced within MSRP.

Overwatch326

Aug 13, 2016
    If they're going redcoat only, then I look forward to them going out of business. More business for MGN!

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    Just saw this. Huge bummer. Very professional atmosphere with capable staff. Ammo was priced reasonably even through the 9mm shortage.

Last time I went to Gilbert's, after a range session, I noticed two "young gentlemen" at the counter. They were asking to rent a 9, and then asking how to work it. I ddn't stick around long enough to see if they got range time.

Heritage will be missed.

Parry

Nov 22, 2020
    On my way out of Maryland
    I've invested lots of money in training and membership fees at Heritage. This included weekly gas to go from Bethesda to Frederick.

Now that my access is sunsetting at Heritage, what are the recommendations as an alternative out there? I'm now looking at VA alternatives too.

P.S: Now that Heritage is agency only, it is interesting how the gov shutdown may impact them.

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    I've invested lots of money in training and membership fees at Heritage. This included weekly gas to go from Bethesda to Frederick.

Now that my access is sunsetting at Heritage, what are the recommendations as an alternative out there? I'm now looking at VA alternatives too.

P.S: Now that Heritage is agency only, it is interesting how the gov shutdown may impact them.
    My schlep from Scaggsville was no picnic either.

I too am curious about other Heritage like facilities. Hoping there are some.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I don't have Heritage experience . But from MDS , I'm getting the impression of tightly run , somewhat upscale .

If so , you'd probably want to check out Guntry .

dwb1987

Mar 6, 2013
    Frederick County

I don't think this is going to work out too well for them. I just don't see how going to renting the range to LE/gov only is going to be self sufficient. Most large departments have their own ranges, or if they are smaller they use larger agencies ranges. I highly doubt they will be able to rent out both of their ranges every single day of the week, hell Id be surprised if they'd get 2 agencies a week. Even with being able to cut a bunch of staff now not being open to the public. Their retail store prices are very high for everything, I'm sure they sell stuff but just don't see a way for them to continue for more than a few months. And even if they fill out their "civilian" training classes i dont see how.

I suspect its an issue relating to insurance cost, but then again MGN just had another suicide and they were open few days later. Either way it is disappointing.

It's going to be even further, just on edge of Hagerstown is MD Arsenal. Been to the store multiple times but never used the range. Hope to have some free time soon to try it out. One big negative is that it is only 10 or 12 yards.

Anyone know if the NRA indoor range in Fairfax is still in operation?

Last edited:

Venge

Dec 6, 2013
    Frederick Co.

Heritage Mission Statement
    To provide an environment conducive for practical down-to-earth personal protection classes, training, equipment, and related services.

Heritage Vision Statement
    To be the premier, all-encompassing personal protection training center.

Just kidding! Remember, anyone can be bought with the right number of pennies!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom