• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • owldo

Ultimate Member
    School Superintendent Martirano slicked the county into hiring a new bus contractor, Zum, and it didn't go so well yesterday.

I know what you're thinking, the first day of school always has it's hiccups, but wait, there's more. Parents got an email last night that this Zum company will not be able to cover 20 routes for the rest of this week.

"I’m from the government and I’m here to help"

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    Yellow school buses remind me of segregation and Jim Crow.

Yellow, the color of racism, must be replaced.

Let's paint them white. Less expensive and easier to see. :whack:

I rode haze gray school busses when I lived in Hawaii. We were transported from McGrew Point, Navy Housing, to Pearl Harbor Kai Elementary.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    PG puts up a monster list of school bus routes affected by lack of drivers.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    So, how much of this is bus driver contractors who may have dealt direct with the county either messing with the county by joining Zum then becoming No show, or basically saying F'It, I"m not doing this anymore?

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    So, how much of this is bus driver contractors who may have dealt direct with the county either messing with the county by joining Zum then becoming No show, or basically saying F'It, I"m not doing this anymore?
    From what I'm seeing on social media (not a huge sample size) local contractors have been contacted by Zum to come work for them and no takers yet.

Most seem to feel that Zum was a big reason that they are now either unemployed or working for another contractor and although they feel for the kids, there is no way they are going to work for Zum and help them get out of the colossal mess that they created.

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    From what I'm seeing on social media (not a huge sample size) local contractors have been contacted by Zum to come work for them and no takers yet.

Most seem to feel that Zum was a big reason that they are now either unemployed or working for another contractor and although they feel for the kids, there is no way they are going to work for Zum and help them get out of the colossal mess that they created.
    That’s precious!

”We screwed you, now we want you to help us screw you harder!”

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    1693527082187.png

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County

Ha! Did Zum expect local bus contractors to just be sitting around waiting for work the first week of school? :shrug:

I don't have a dog in this pony show, but I'm really enjoying the fireworks.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Ha! Did Zum expect local bus contractors to just be sitting around waiting for work the first week of school? :shrug:

Contractors meaning School Bus * Companies * ?
    Contractors meaning the actual Drivers and front line street supervisors ?

If the latter , then probably .

It's the way of the world in the contracting universe . When a new contractor takes over a particular contract/ site , the existing on site front line employees , a significant double digit % of employees will apply to the new contract holder for the same jobs , and significant double digit % of them are so hired .

The new employer gets experienced employees with local knowledge and institutional memory . The old employees get to more or less retain their job locations and duties .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009

Eh .

Contract holders change semi regularly in virtually all fields .
    In the " driving around bus loads of 'yutes locally " field , the locality's school system is the 800 lb gorilla of employment . Private schools and church youth groups are a tiny fraction , and otherwise they would have to commute to neighboring jurisdictions , or switch fields .

If they want to commute , PG Schools are also hiring , where they could be permanent full time employees , and get Union Benefits .

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    Contractors meaning School Bus * Companies * ?
    Contractors meaning the actual Drivers and front line street supervisors ?

If the latter , then probably .

It's the way of the world in the contracting universe . When a new contractor takes over a particular contract/ site , the existing on site front line employees , a significant double digit % of employees will apply to the new contract holder for the same jobs , and significant double digit % of them are so hired .

The new employer gets experienced employees with local knowledge and institutional memory . The old employees get to more or less retain their job locations and duties .

Do the employees benefit from the new contract in their daily wages? There was info expressed above that the value of each route, in the contract, went from $70K to $98K.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Do the employees benefit from the new contract in their daily wages? There was info expressed above that the value of each route, in the contract, went from $70K to $98K.

No idea . But very unlikely .

Alternative fuel busses are operable by " regular " bus drivers with minimal transition training .

Overall Contract billing has little to do with the wages of the grunt employees .

chuck

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 1, 2016
    Anne Arundel

If they really wanted these bus drivers, they should have had them hired before the last contract was up. That seems to be the status quo on service contract transitions I've been a part of.

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    It's an empty building that was going to be a farm museum. Lots of dreams with not enough funding. Some good people wanted to keep the Howard County farming legacy alive.
    Both my parents grew up on farms in Howard County.
    Actually, not empty. The buildings house antique machinery, housewares, etc. The displays are set-up in period order so you can take a walk through time. They put on blacksmith demonstrations, equipment demonstrations, educational tours, etc.

It is a very interesting and educational resource and the County has provided no real reason for terminating their lease. (Letter stated “in best interest of the County”.) And to give an establishment of this size only 90 days to find another location and move all of the equipment and displays is absolutely absurd.

Makes one curious if a developer’s project coincidentally appears on that property. (Maybe that’s where Zum’s new lot is going.)

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    One of the justifications for the increase of $20,000,000 for zum was that zum would also be handling sports transportation. Guuuueeeeesssssss whatttttttt? Word is coming in today that games are getting canceled across the county because the teams don't have transportation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom