How do you really feel about Continental Arms in Timonium?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Are you satisfied with the service at Continental Arms in Timonium?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

LineofSight

MSI Member, NRA Member
    Oct 4, 2010
    All OVER
    Had a bad experience and now I drive past them straight to 2A Sales. Gun connection is on my way to work but the drive to do business with 2A is well worth it.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    My wife and I have been members of the Congressional Club for almost 2 years now. I do not recall any particularly "bad" experience while using the facility. I do recall getting "reminded" of the range rules once by Gibby, and asked to aim higher on my target (rounds were bouncing off the floor due to the length of my target) IIRC the "reminder" was as I would expect for ANY range, firm, fair, and reasonable.
    I have always been treated with the respect I feel I deserve as a customer. My wife has taken her girlfriend to the range and they were both treated well (even had Ziggy joking with them). I was approached by Ziggy once while I was firing a .22 rifle. I had not fired this rifle in the past 20+ years and was not comfortable firing off hand, so I was trying to lean on the lane table. This was not working at all for me (tables are to low and I am 6'1), I decided to kneel down and fire using the table as if I was firing from the "foxhole supported" position. When I explained my situation to Ziggy, he got a couple of bean bags for me to use. Worked good.
    As far as the "unloaded magazine" rule, I do not particularly care for it, but realize that the rule is in place for a reason (whatever that might be). I have never questioned it for a couple of reasons.
    1. My chosen career is full of rules that I don't care for yet still have to follow.
    2. The rule was not harming me or hampering my shooting.

I am a believer of questioning the rules, IF you educate yourself about the rule before questioning it, and if necessary, provide examples as to why the rule is illegal, or unsafe, AND (this is key) do the questioning in a respectful fashion. If this does not work, or is met with resistance, go higher.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    The roadie (Ziggy?) has been the source of all of my bad experiences at Continental. I used to shoot there maybe 80% of the time I would go shooting. Now that number is about 20%. That they pretend their unloaded magazine rule is actually state law is just silly and it spreads misinformation in an area that's already very confusing. I don't at all care that I can't bring loaded mags, it's their business and their choice, just don't tell people something that isn't true.

At this point, though, ownership has received enough complaints about issues at the range to do something and to date has refused to make a change. That's very telling to me.

I won't go out of my way to shoot there, especially now that Free State has opened. It remains a decent range with fair prices in a location convenient to me. Ownership can't/won't address issues with their business, so I'm inclined to avoid them if practical. I hope Free State can provide a better experience as I'd be glad to give my money to an Industry Partner who has actively sought our input as opposed to a business that refuses to not only join the largest community of gun owners in Maryland, but won't listen to them, either.

wait you CAN transport loaded magazines??? some guy in there ripped me a new one and said theyd lock me up for that...whats the state law say?

mckraut

Apr 14, 2009
    Abingdon, MD
    Why is it that gun shops in general have a staff that likes to belittle and insult those of us less knowledgeable? Fascinating business practices. I have walked away from guns I was going to buy because of the A-hole behind the counter. Anyone have a good explanation? I'm curious

/\ This. I always feel like I'm on guard when I walk into a gun shop. Often I get the feeling that some people don't even want my business. On occasion I just want to ******** and get opinions before I make a purchase, but often the attitude I get is that they don't have the time nor care. Maybe I need to buy a couple of guns before I'm cut some slack? Who knows.

P.S. Not that they need another plug, but Gun Connection never makes me feel pressured to buy something or get out. Very helpful, friendly people even though I have yet to buy a gun from them.

kac

Ultimate Member
    Dec 9, 2007
    I was there today with my wife and daughter--me to practice and the wife to try out a number of guns (she's in purchase mode).

Four people working at Continental, they couldn't have been nicer, friendlier, or more professional. We went back and forth several times with rentals, no problems any time, no reference to my magazines on the gun I brought.

In all, a more than pleasant experience.

Tconfo

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2008
    Harford County
    I used to use that range even though I hated going there. It was convienent for me. The customer service sucked but the glock armorer there was a nice guy. It was a range that was 4 minutes frome where I lived. I bought one pistol there when I turned 21,and overpaid but had no idea,and first moved to cockeysville. That being said. When I found out about hap baker being 30-40 min away and started buying rifles, they never saw another dime from me. And I never had to see that long haired ***** again. God I couldnt stand that guy. The woman was clueless, the older gentleman was a nice guy and so was the glock armorer. Everyone else there talked down to me and watched me like I was going to steal something. I don't know why. I follow the rules. I dress in casual clothing usually jeans and a sweatshirt or t shirt in the summer. I am not thuggish. The guys I go shooting with are also not thuggish. I was always respectful of there dumb rules about the head shots and no loaded magazines. I may not agree with them but it's their range, their rules , their business. I'm just glad I don't have to go anywhere near that place. Now it's private land, Delta, or H&M( now that the stupid ammo policy was lifted) for me for shooting, and gun connection for transfers or new purchases. IMO, GC should offer all the other huh mum, continental arms, Gun shops customer service classes. That's how a gun shop should be run. There is something about walking into a store in this day and age and the guy behind the counter remembering your name, what you bought the last time you where in there, and what your interested in perchasing before you even say hi to him that keeps my business. The best part of the whole deal is now he's only 15 min down 95 from me. Seriously though. The only thing Dan and the class act hes got working with him can do better for me is open up a gun range in bel air. It just makes sense.

Cannon

Dec 10, 2009
    Baltimore
    I bought my first gun there, a used S&W .357, I explained I was a noob and it was my first gun. They were very helpful.

Not only did they let me try one of their rental guns of the same model for free(I had to buy ammo of course) but they knocked a bit of $$ of the price of the gun.

Of course I have been there on a very busy day and had bad service but thats the way sh*t goes sometimes.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    I've only been there once a couple years ago but I had no problem at all. I enjoyed it.

actionpistolshooter

Nov 11, 2009
    Dunkirk, MD
    I've not been there as I live in Calvert County so I did not vote, but I've talked to them a few times at gun shows and via phone about ordering in a gun. Generally good service and given the option of ordering from them or buying on the interwebthing plus shipping, transfer fees, and getting a fired shell case done, their prices seemed OK.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    "waiting 2 seconds between shots" rule, what's up with that?

That is not one of our rules.

Good, because no one has ever told me to slow down.

Hap Baker has a 2 second rule.

I shoot there when I have time.

In December, two coworker and I shot together there. One guy was a novice and they were decent to him and he and I shared a lane.

I'll keep going back there.

I do not buy guns there because Gun Connection usually is less $$.

Eviljagtech

Infected w/ Freedom
    Jan 24, 2010
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    Chose last one, this is do to them treating me like a ghost or as if i wasn't there at all. When they did come to help me, they gave me alot of negitive feed back (like someone angry with you) on the gun choices. Then when asking on rentals, the man told me i was dumb for wanting to compare a Glock with anything.
    I said thank you for your time, took my money to On Target, where they were happy to help and answer my questions. They got my money, and a handshake.
    Continental Arms is in my black list w/ Just Guns do to the service being that poor. On Target, Atlantic Guns, 2A and Scotts have been nothing but smiles and very helpful. When your looking to spend 500-1200 dollars, that small amount of attention goes along way.

wlc

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    So with all this negative press on Continental I went on sat. expecting the worse.
    As I entered, "roadie" left so I had no experience with him.
    But, everyone else was fine.
    Jay is always great, the bald guy with the glasses was very nice
    and the women were fine.

I think some members on this forum are overly sensitive.

tzoid

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 8, 2007
    So with all this negative press on Continental I went on sat. expecting the worse.
    As I entered, "roadie" left so I had no experience with him.
    But, everyone else was fine.
    Jay is always great, the bald guy with the glasses was very nice
    and the women were fine.

I think some members on this forum are overly sensitive.

I'm being accused of either being the owner or working for Continental for doing this poll :lol2:

I seriously am trying to see what the impact of this Forum has on a business. I think Dan at Gun Connection appreciates it when someone posts nice things about him and his staff. That equates to free advertising and results in revenue.

Bashing a business over and over because a long haired dude told you to slow down or don't bring loaded mags into the store "It's Illegal" is probably costing Continental revenue.

It is what it is.....

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    26 have said, "I heard on the internet they suck so No Thanks". Too lazy to go and find out for themselves, or even find and ask someone they know who has been there. This is why we have our FUBAR state and federal governments, because people are too lazy to do their own work.

tzoid

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 8, 2007
    Basic Human behavior...

If someone is told something is bad enough times they shut down their brain and assume it must be bad... or good works that way as well.

Some people like their cucumbers pickled..:lol2: what?

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I have never shot at Continental, nor have I purchased a gun there. I did receive a small gift certificate from there for my birthday a couple of years ago and used it to buy some cleaning supplies and a hat, and they gave me a free canvas tote to carry it all home in.

I went back a couple of times to browse, once with my then 9 year old daughter. She was asked if she was a shooter, and once she explained herself, she had the run of the place handling anything she wanted to see. This was a plus for me. We are the shooters in the family and it bugs me when folks talk down to her because she's a kid.

Never saw "the roadie"....was greeted when I came in and was given a "Thanks for stopping in" when I left.

Was it spectacular? Nope.
    Was it sh*t? Nope.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Marty S.

Latest threads