How Long Does Canned Food Actually Last?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    They can actually last well beyond their printed “expiration” date.

Good Housekeeping
    • Hannah Jeon
    Read when you’ve got time to spare.

More from Good Housekeeping

tin cans on a calendar

Photo by Getty Images
    When it comes to stocking up on pantry essentials, everyone knows that there's nothing as convenient as canned foods — these staples are not only affordable and easy to cook with, they’re also basically a must-have if you’re filling up your pantry with non-perishable items that have a long shelf life (especially in the case of an emergency). But if the back of your pantry is filled with old cans of soup, green beans, and anything else that you bought quite a while ago, you might be wondering: Exactly how long does canned food last, and is it safe to eat canned food beyond its printed expiration date?

Here’s the good news: Canned goods actually last indefinitely if they're kept in good condition, according to the USDA. But that doesn't necessarily mean that they’ll still taste optimal ten years from now! There are actually several factors that limit the shelf life of canned goods, but in general, foods that are more acidic will expire sooner, while low-acid canned foods will actually last for longer. If you’re wondering about specific canned foods, though, here’s how long they’ll last on your shelf, as well as in the refrigerator after you open them.
    Does canned food go bad?
    Canned foods that are kept in good condition are actually safe to eat indefinitely, according to the USDA. However, there are several factors that may affect their shelf life, such as can corrosion and rusting, high temperatures, and other container problems. Over the years, many canned foods will experience taste and texture changes, and may eventually lose their nutritional value — which is why it’s recommended to consume different types of canned products by a certain time for the best quality. (Accordingly, the “use-by” or “best-by” dates that are often printed on cans are for quality, not safety.)

So is it safe to eat canned food past its “expiration” date? While canned goods past their “best-by” date may not taste optimal, there’s actually no real health risk in consuming canned goods as long as they remain in good condition. Just make sure that you never buy bulging, rusted, leaking, or dented cans, and that you always store canned goods in a cool, dry place — in fact, the USDA says to never store them in any place exposed to high or low temperatures, or in places such as under the sink, above or beside the stove, or in a damp garage or basement.

And of course, after opening canned foods, make sure to store leftovers and unused portions in the refrigerator; for best preservation of quality and flavor, you should store it in a glass or a plastic storage container.
    How long does canned food last?
    Canned Ham

Shelf-stable canned ham (such as Spam) lasts 2 to 5 years on the shelf. After opening, it will generally be good for 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator.

Low Acid Canned Goods

Low acid canned goods include items such as canned meat and poultry, stews, pasta products, and soups (except for tomato soup), as well as vegetables such as potatoes, corn, carrots, spinach, beans, beets, peas, and pumpkin. According to the USDA, these canned goods will last for 2 to 5 years on the shelf after they’ve been canned, and will last 3 to 4 days if you store it in the refrigerator after opening.

High Acid Canned Goods

High acidic canned goods include juices, tomatoes, and fruit products (such as grapefruit, pineapple, apples, peaches, pears, plums, and all berries), as well as pickles, sauerkraut, and all foods treated with vinegar-based sauces or dressings. These foods are good for 12 to 18 months on the shelf, but after opening, will last 5 to 7 days in the refrigerator.

Home Canned Foods

If you’re canning your own foods at home, you should know that these foods will last up to a year on the shelf. Before using, though, remember to boil 10 minutes for high-acid foods and 20 minutes for low-acid foods as a precaution (even if you detect no signs of spoilage). After opening, your home canned foods will last around 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator.

Hannah Jeon is an editorial fellow at Good Housekeeping, where she loves to cover home, health, entertainment, and other lifestyle content.

How was it? Save stories you love and never lose them.

Logo for Good Housekeeping

This post originally appeared on Good Housekeeping and was published April 15, 2020. This article is republished here with permission.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    We’ve had this discussion here before. It’s been a while. As your post states, if the cab is intact, the food is good. Bacteria cause spoilage. The doubling time (how long it takes for the number of bacteria to double) is sometimes as low as 15 minutes. They don’t sit in cans for 2 years then suddenly become active.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    We’ve had this discussion here before. It’s been a while. As your post states, if the cab is intact, the food is good. Bacteria cause spoilage. The doubling time (how long it takes for the number of bacteria to double) is sometimes as low as 15 minutes. They don’t sit in cans for 2 years then suddenly become active.
    ^^THIS. OP could benefit from Search skills and considering what basic discussions and info is likely to have occurred previously

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    Um, as an old Army puke, I was issue meals 20 years old. Right now, I'm using apple butter canned in 1978. If the can didn't swell or the lid pop it could still be good. You'll know it's bad when you open one.

Heck, I just fed the barn some MRE's form the 1988-19991 time frame. The pork patty still tasted the same.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Working on canned cherries that my grandmother canned back in 1980, still good. And good memories.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Wait.....what??
    What word or words didn't you understand?
    I have about 40 jars, from various years, of cherries, peaches and apple sauce, that my grandmother canned over the years. And in some cases, in my younger years, I helped.

Waingro

Apr 4, 2018
    I knew I liked you :lol2:
    It's just hard wrapping my small brain around someone eating something out of a can today from before I was born

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    It's just hard wrapping my small brain around someone eating something out of a can today from before I was born
    When I was a Cub Scout in the 70’s we ate WW2 c-rations when camping. The scoutmaster supplied them. Still good.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Glass jars actually, canned by hand.
    Youngsters these days.....:D

Waingro

Apr 4, 2018
    Glass jars actually, canned by hand.
    Youngsters these days.....:D
    I remember my grandmother canning when I was a kid. I wasn't old enough to retain the knowledge unfortunately. Now this crazy doctor and his scoutmasters old nazi braunschweiger I'm not too sure about:lol2:

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I remember my grandmother canning when I was a kid. I wasn't old enough to retain the knowledge unfortunately. Now this crazy doctor and his scoutmasters old nazi braunschweiger I'm not too sure about:lol2:
    Mr Mengele was the best scoutmaster…had a thing for DoubleMint Gum.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    As Teratos said, sugary items tend to hold up much better than other things. Same for stuff canned using salt.
    Canning techniques also impact the length of time home canning lasts. When using a hot water bath technique on stuff with added sugar there is usually not much problem. But I started canning stuff with less sugar and salt....and losing them much more frequently. That's when I began using a pressure canner. No loss and much longer shelf life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom