How many loaded mags do you all have ready?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    serious question,,
    Where is everyone "bugging out" to??
    I'm stealing a boat and heading to the eastern shore. I don't have a "bug out bag" but I have a bag and some loaded mags I can throw in there if I need to. I usually keep 3 mags loaded for each weapon I will take which will be an AR in 5.56 or 7.62 and a G41. If I'm feeling spicy I have a few mags loaded up for the VEPR 12 with 00 buck. I should get a chest rig mag holder or plate carrier but I just don't care enough to get one. Lighter is better.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    All my Operator friends who actually went into FUBAR situations carried 2 mags, sometimes 3 if they were feeling frisky but never used a whole 30 round mag. WEIGHT was the concern. They would prefer to save the weight for batteries for the NODS. Sometimes you can eliminate 1 thing for 2 or 3 other things that you would actually use.

You as a single fighter would never survive having to use 120 rounds plus whatever pistol rounds you have.

Triggerfinger

States Rights!
    Sep 1, 2012
    Richlands, North Carolina
    All my Operator friends who actually went into FUBAR situations carried 2 mags, sometimes 3 if they were feeling frisky but never used a whole 30 round mag. WEIGHT was the concern. They would prefer to save the weight for batteries for the NODS. Sometimes you can eliminate 1 thing for 2 or 3 other things that you would actually use.

You as a single fighter would never survive having to use 120 rounds plus whatever pistol rounds you have.
    Look at the physical condition of the weakest member of your family, that's your anchor, that's your Achilles heel. If you ever have to move and leave your house with all your defenses and prep items, you'll be in the open and they will find you and most likely kill you because of your slowest family member....or even yourself if you're not even able to at least run a short distance to break contact in an ambush.
    People always see themselves as the victor in a fight, but odds are you have a fairly good chance of being killed or badly wounded as 99.9% of the population aren't Rambo's. In a firefight numbers matter....no matter how good you are.
    Best bet is stay in the home that you have as long as you can and establish a defense network with your neighbors. Alone you're a target, but in a community you're a team.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Look at the physical condition of the weakest member of your family, that's your anchor, that's your Achilles heel. If you ever have to move and leave your house with all your defenses and prep items, you'll be in the open and they will find you and most likely kill you because of your slowest family member....or even yourself if you're not even able to at least run a short distance to break contact in an ambush.
    People always see themselves as the victor in a fight, but odds are you have a fairly good chance of being killed or badly wounded as 99.9% of the population aren't Rambo's. In a firefight numbers matter....no matter how good you are.
    Best bet is stay in the home that you have as long as you can and establish a defense network with your neighbors. Alone you're a target, but in a community you're a team.
    Hell even the best "operator" in the universe is sometimes killed by a ricochet from some idiot who doesn't even have an elementary school education and learned gun fighting from bootleg American 90s action movies on VHS. We all have as much time as we have and not a minute longer.

I don't really plan to bug out. But I keep one in my bedside gun and two more mags with it. In my safe I've got a pair of loaded mags (not in the gun) for my G21 and three for my .223 AR in there. Carrying I always carry a spare mag, even if it is just in my pocket.

If that wasn't enough, either I probably have time to reload magazines, or I wasn't making it out of whatever anyway.

If, IF, I were to "bug out", it depends entirely on the circumstances. It could just be my G19 and a spare mag. It might "what can I fit in my van without bottoming out the suspension". Within limits, carry what I can in a vehicle. If I have to bail out of the vehicle on foot, don't be stupid is take all of that.

If I need to maximalize all the things on foot for long distance foot, I'd probably just wear my LIIIa soft plates because them plus the carrier is about 2.5# and relatively little bulk. And I'd go with a long gun and 3 mags (one in it, two spare) and probably carry my G19 concealed with a spare mag. Everything else would be oriented towards survival from "not people". That is around 13# for armor, rifle, handgun, magazines, and the ammo for them.

If I knew I didn't have far to go on foot, or I was starting with wheeled transport, I'd go with my steel LIII+ plates and carrier, the 3 ARs mags and 1 pistol mag that fit on the plate carrier, and the 2 AR mags and 2 pistol mags that fit on my battle belt. Plus my G17 and my AR. And probably my AR-10 ready at hand in the vehicle too. That's about 42-44#.

As it stands, 50# is my absolute limit for backpacking (including water weight) and I try to target 40# or less, depending on terrain. That's the kind of weight I can hike in moderately difficult terrain 10-15 miles day in, day out. Easy terrain 15-20 miles a day no problem. Which means all loaded down, and I am already at my limit of what I can comfortably carry long distance. I could for sure carry 70#, but that is going to wear me the hell out, and short of darned flat terrain I know I'd have a hard time doing more than 10 miles in a day, and probably not for multiple days in a row.

And no matter what I can do for endurance, carrying 40+# is going to slow me a lot if I have to run or sprint. Let alone 70#+. I give a HUGE amount of credit to grunts that can carry 110# of crap into combat. Or even do a ruck march carrying 70#. I think I could probably manage it. I know I'd be damned worthless afterwards (12 miles, 3 hours, 70#).

And just be a-okay with possibly needing to peel that off and leave the armor and some of the ammo behind if I did walk away from my vehicle and couldn't get back to it. Or if I had the time, change my load out to the soft armor and concealed piece.

99% sure I won't need to ever actually need to worry about any of that.

Last edited:

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    serious question,,
    Where is everyone "bugging out" to??
    "Bugging in" is the new bugging out. Or so I've heard. One rule of prepping is "don't discuss your preps" but I guess I'll share a little.

I am acquainted with a network of people. Our agreement is that any of us will shelter another member or the entire group if they get pushed out of their homes. We also don't plan on waiting for the situation to devolve to its lowest point before taking action.

There's a lot more to it than that, but you get the gist.

WHBD

Oct 4, 2023
    Crownsville

I have a hard time believing that. Standard load out is 6 mags and one in the gun. And dual tube NVGs will run over 30 hours continuously on one lithium AA or 123A...and most of them use a 4 battery pack as a counterweight on their helmets...That is Days of NV...and it's only dark half of the time. Most missions aren't that long...and lithium batteries weigh almost nothing.

Cool_Moo5e

Sep 4, 2023
    Harford
    I have a hard time believing that. Standard load out is 6 mags and one in the gun. And dual tube NVGs will run over 30 hours continuously on one lithium AA or 123A...and most of them use a 4 battery pack as a counterweight on their helmets...That is Days of NV...and it's only dark half of the time. Most missions aren't that long...and lithium batteries weigh almost nothing.
    A few of my friends who were in Iraq did agree, you'd have 5 or 6 mags minimum

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    This is how I roll. It doubles as body armor of sorts.
    1706031210051.jpeg

This is my buddy from AFGH, he wasn't allowed to carry a gun so we made him carry extra ammo.
    l6w5jos4qd0y.jpg

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Yeah. My buddies lied to me. Tell us you know nothing about living at night and doing ops at night your whole career.
    Tell me, how standard are Team and Unit guys?

WHBD

Oct 4, 2023
    Crownsville
    Yeah. My buddies lied to me. Tell us you know nothing about living at night and doing ops at night your whole career.
    Tell me, how standard are Team and Unit guys?
    Fair. Not standard obviously. Mission dictates your loadout. You're not the only one with friends and I talk NV stuff in depth with them as I'm passionate about it. *shrug*

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Fair. Not standard obviously. Mission dictates your loadout. You're not the only one with friends and I talk NV stuff in depth with them as I'm passionate about it. *shrug*
    Typical for the guys I know. Tank top for style points.

4ff5a04b39b13d00ffdcc74899ef0e81.jpg
    1dc7c10ac64855d044d8274bd75f6c2e.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom