• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    So, I was reading some articles about the amount of magazines you should have per gun. The averages were 3-6 for semi-auto pistols and 5-10 for semi-auto rifles.

What's the ideal amount of magazines you like to have per gun?

Is it a rifle, shotgun, or a pistol?

What kind of action do all of these mags serve?

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Modern handguns - Minimum of 6 standard capacity magazines per. Somehow I did end up with about 20 Wilson Combat 1911 mags.

Antique / MilSurp handguns - Two per. Some cost almost half as much as the gun itself.

Mini-14 - About a dozen Ruger 20-round, about ten Ruger-10 round. Actually prefer 10 round mags with the Mini-14

AR - Lost count of 30-round Magpuls. About a dozen Colt metal 20-round mags. Actually prefer 20 round mags with the ARs

Browning BAR DBM MKIII .308 - Six 20-round FN mags. Hard to find and pricey.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    I like to have 6 for each pistol, 5 for my .22 rifle, and at least 10 - 30 rounders for each 5.56 AR. I also prefer 20 round mags in the AR because it allows you to shoot from the prone position easier than with a 30.
    For my surplus pistols, at least 3 mags.

Edwonbass

Jan 28, 2021
    Union Mills, MD
    I don’t have a lot of guns so for me currently it’s 3 for handgun, and 4 for rifle. I would like to get two 20 round magpuls for my rifle and at least one more pistol mag. My wife has the S&W EZ which only came with 2 mags. I would like to find another for that.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    For a fun gun, 3-4 is enough.

For a competition pistol, or rifle, somewhere around a dozen.

I have about 30-40 pmags, because why not?

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    bandolero.jpg

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Glock assorted 9mm - 12ish
    Glock .40 - 4
    Hellcat - 6
    PPS - 5
    Mini 14 - 6
    AR - 20ish
    1911 - 8
    10/22 assorted - 10
    Marlin 795 - 6
    Other various - maybe 25
    Going over this in my head makes me realize I could always use a few more. Especially 1911 and .22 stuff.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    If I had only one gun of a partIcular type I would want plenty of magazines to have as spares. For "redundant" guns of the same type I don't feel the need to stack spare magazines deeply.
    For older guns I definitely keep at least three magazines even though they are range toys - magazines for out of production guns are pricey and hard to find and getting harder to find all the time.
    As a lesson to the wise has anyone tried to find clips for Carcano rifles recently? They are now about $10 each and these guns are essentially single shots without the clips.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    It's all about intended/possible use. When in doubt, it's never enough. But for a carry gun? I'll own a couple more than I would likely carry, even if it's just for range time. But for a match gun: spare your fingers or your maglula time at the match and have a stupidly large number of mags (I probably own an entire manufacturing run of CZ75 mags). For a SHTF stash rifle or carbine? Dozens isn't too many (they'd also make good trade goods). For an extended capacity 10-22 mag? A bunch, because hopefully ONE of them will work well!

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    For a fun gun, 3-4 is enough.

For a competition pistol, or rifle, somewhere around a dozen.

I have about 30-40 pmags, because why not?
    Six is more than enough for most competition pistols. Only time you need more is divisions like single stack.

As for competition rifle... maybe 3, if you're shooting standard capacity.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    Alternatively, you could always buy another gun that comes with more mags.

I picked up a Springfield XD-S 45 last year and there was a rebate for 4 extra mags for free (so the two that came with the gun + 4 more). Not the most economical, but it helped me justify the purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom