• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Are you really a physician? Your handwriting is too legible. Ah, maybe you wife numbered them.
    Sister Mildred didn’t keep me after for penmanship lessons in 3rd grade for nothing.

When I worked in the hospital, occasionally a nurse would call and say “we can’t read your order…” I’d say with pleasure: “Then I didn’t write it”.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Sister Mildred didn’t keep me after for penmanship lessons in 3rd grade for nothing.

When I worked in the hospital, occasionally a nurse would call and say “we can’t read your order…” I’d say with pleasure: “Then I didn’t write it”.
    Special attention from one who wields a mean ruler would get my attention, too. You are a rare breed, Doc, but we knew that already.

2flhun

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2009
    Mont Co
    I have a S-load for all of my "modern" pistols and rifles. Less for the older pistols (Mauser HSC, Astra Cub Cadet, Colt 1903, Walther P5) just due to the cost. Average 4-5 for each of these.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    One more...

Seems every time I'm out of state and see Magpuls on sale, I buy one or 2. I probably have 6 or 7 still in the packaging downstairs and another 10 or so loaded and in various guns or my magcan.

My G19 I only have 3 mags, but I also have another department issued G19 and an additional 3 mags. I should probably buy a couple more of those.

My wife and I both have the G43X, so we've got 5 factory mages between us and only 1 Shield Arms 15 rounder. I need to buy more but they have been out of stock everywhere recently.

I've probably got 50 or 60 (maybe more) clips for the M1.

I've got 5 or 6 dedicated CMMG .22 AR mags.

I've only got 3 (but 2 are currently MIA...) Hexmags that I use for my .300AAC.

Felt like more until I listed them out... I think I need one more... of each...

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    For "high-cap" guns, I don't think I've ever been in a situation where I felt like six wasn't enough. Class, match, practice, whatever.

For "low-cap" guns like 1911s, I think it's more like 8-10. If I'm in a position where I don't want to reload between every stage, a bit of buffer helps.

For revolvers, everything's in moonclips, and there's usually 24-32 of them. Loading and gauging moonclips in-situ is a non-starter for me. If I ever shoot a major USPSA or IDPA match using revolver, I might have to double that.

I will say that there have been a lot more times where carrying extended-capacity magazines on me was a LOT more useful since I was able to keep getting in reps as other people on the line ran out... so that is also a thing to consider.

Last edited:

thedutchtouch

Feb 14, 2023
    i'm on the too new to answer this question end, but hopefully you dont mind an add- on question - for those of you with the higher quantities, how do you store them? and do you advise storing them loaded vs empty etc. (does this affect the springs and such or no not really?)

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I keep about 3 loaded in the safe (AK, VEPR, AR10/15 and a couple pistol mags, some speed loaders. The rest are in a drawer, sometimes it's like Tetris trying to fit them back in but I manage. Come to think of it I need to do an inventory and renumber them. Like the doc I use a silver sharpie to number them in case I get a bad one and want to identify it. I like to 40 round pmags as well, with the couplers you get 80 rounds in one unit.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    i'm on the too new to answer this question end, but hopefully you dont mind an add- on question - for those of you with the higher quantities, how do you store them? and do you advise storing them loaded vs empty etc. (does this affect the springs and such or no not really?)

1/2 loaded and 1/2 unloaded. Store them in ammo cans. Rotate them every year or so.

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    Keep buying until the quantity of mags you have just feel ridiculous. Then buy one more.

More seriously...if it is a common gun, I would consider three to me a minimum. If it is an older, less common gun...five? Seven? Ten? Finding mags for uncommon weapons sucks. Hell, one of my Sigs (SP2022) which I love shooting, and is still in production, I've never seen a magazine for out in the wild. Not too many folks have them, I guess. I'd mail order, but I want full capacity, not the Maryland neutered ten round caps. I should have bought several when I bought the gun. Anecdote two: I used to have a S&W 6906. Loved that gun. Shortly before it was stolen I went looking for replacement mags, and they were near impossible to find, even online, and very, very expensive (like $50, or more, each for used). Just like ammo, what seems readily available and cheap today may not be tomorrow.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    20211121_115610.jpg

It started as, "I need enough ammo to fill my magazine". Then it became, "I need enough magazines so that all my ammo can be stored in mags". Then it became, "I need a storage box for my magazines." Then it became, "I need enough magazines to fill all my storage boxes". Then it became, "I need to get enough magazines for my other cartridges and guns to balance things out...and storage boxes specifically for each different cartridge and gun."

So now the cycle continues with these ammo boxes of mags for each gun piling up. It does kind've rock to be able to shoot during ammo shortages though.

If it's a gun you rely on for sport or defense, 6 feels like a bare minimum. 10 mags feels better.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Keeping mags loaded doesn't harm springs if they're good mags. The only real thing is exposure to elements. It's easier to keep ammo "fresh" in things like sealed spam cans than in mags...especially if you've handled the ammo with oiley hands.

If you can keep them pretty protected from the elements, keeping then loaded in mags is fine. I prefer to store ammo in mags because it'll eventually have to get in to those mags to be shot, so it may as well be kept there. It's nice to just grab a dozen mags and a gun then head out the door to go shoot.

Chat-Bot

Disinformation Governor
    Oct 17, 2020
    под скалой
    View attachment 409761

It started as, "I need enough ammo to fill my magazine". Then it became, "I need enough magazines so that all my ammo can be stored in mags". Then it became, "I need a storage box for my magazines." Then it became, "I need enough magazines to fill all my storage boxes". Then it became, "I need to get enough magazines for my other cartridges and guns to balance things out...and storage boxes specifically for each different cartridge and gun."

So now the cycle continues with these ammo boxes of mags for each gun piling up. It does kind've rock to be able to shoot during ammo shortages though.

If it's a gun you rely on for sport or defense, 6 feels like a bare minimum. 10 mags feels better.
    Now with documented proof, when the illegal possession buy back happens, you'll get $85 at $5 a pop.

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    Regarding keeping mags loaded...I did recently see a video which suggested keeping pmags to 28 instead of 30 rounds. Not because of the spring, which should be fine and not fatigue, but rather to ease the pressure on the plastic lips of the magazine which get forced out of shape a bit.

Makes sense to me on plastic magazines. Probably not a problem on metal mags. Not sure if it is a myth or not. I guess I'd lean towards keeping them a round or two short. Still ready for most anything. With any warning at all, it wouldn't take long to top up. YMMV. Magpul suggests "P-Mags are designed to be loaded to there specified capacity and stored long term without any deformation." so... probably not worth worrying about.

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    Near as I can tell, the non-topped off myth always referred to the spring, not plastic deformation. That's been tested over and over again. Probably not a problem. Also, not much of a problem to keep the magazine a round or two light, just in case it might deform the nylon lip, especially if they are going to be stored for years at a time. Use them periodically? Probably not worth the extra precaution. Personally, I'll keep the mags in long term storage slightly light, just in case. Low risk either way, but the cost is pretty damn low, too. And still a damn site better than keeping them empty which I suspect most people do. After all, those wives didn't get old by being stupid.

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    87 is the number you seek. What are you shooting? Match, money or fun? Self-defense or home defense?

In GSSF matches, you fire three mags, three mags and four mags. So, if you don't have a jam, ten mags save loading between strings. Eleven is better!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom