How Old Were You When You Bought Your First Firearm?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    16. It was a Chinese AK47. $313.95 out the door. My mom had to sign for it and she sold it to me for $1 when I came of legal age. Back then, before Maryland became a dictatorial nanny state, you could sell these things face to face with absolutely no paperwork. 27 years, over 10K rounds and I still have it.

Rocky BearDog

1 mile south of freedom
    Sep 6, 2011
    Millers, MD.
    Got my first gun at 9 from my Dad - .22 single shot. At 11 that was traded up for a Rossi .22 pump which I still have and use today. First 20 gauge single shot shotgun at 10 - HR Topper Jr - from Dad and still have it. The first gun I ever bought myself was at 16 - old, ratty .22 no name revolver, from a neighbor for $35. First legitimate gun I bought was at about 23 - Smith and Wesson 686 .357 Magnum - which of course I still own today. I'm 53 now.

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    Can't be sure of my age, was probably 14. Bought a 91/30 at the Edmondson Flea market at the drive-in where home depot is now in catonsville. Paid $22 if i recall correctly. Dad and i stripped it down to refinish it, but lost track of the parts over the years. Managed to source a beautiful stock from another member here last year. She's a real tack driver. Can't imagine a 14 year old walking around a flea market for hours holding a rifle these days. Pretty sure it wouldn't end well. Different times for sure.

Fender

Sep 26, 2014
    Rocky Ridge, MD
    21. Came back from Afghanistan so I had some tax free cash saved up and always wanted an M14. Ended up getting a Springfield M1A National Match. Pretty much every gun I have bought since then seems cheap in comparison.

Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    I was 19 when I purchased my first firearm, a Remington ML 700. I then realized it was a pain in the shoulder to shoot and I didn't like muzzle-loading, so I just got a Nagant. Now... they keep multiplying...

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    I was 18 or 19 at the time. I bought a 30-30 lever action Marlin. I guess I liked the old Westerns but I didn't want the top ejecting Winchester so I could put a scope on it. I thought I'd go deer hunting but never did. Just killed a lot of empty beer cans with it. At the time the cartridges were 25 cents a pop. I eventually sold it to my brother after he was discharged from the USMC.

Doug33w

Aug 22, 2010
    Sykesville, MD
    I bought my first pistol when I was 25. I was deployed to Iraq and purchased a commemorative Sig P229. A couple of months later I purchased a Mossberg 500 at a Houston gun show that was too large to fit in the box. I grew up in New Jersey, I walked to gun sans box from the gun show to my car down the streets of Houston afraid I was going to be arrested. No one batted an eyelash. That was 2009, I've purchased many more firearms since then.

M1842

Jul 27, 2009
    47, came from a non-firearm family but always wanted to learn how to shoot. Finally bought a Savage Mark II .22LR bolt action and found a range to start practicing at. Now it is an obsession :)

Last edited:

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    32 maybe? Dunno. I also came from a non-firearm family. Bought a house in the ghetto and after a couple of years, I realized I was the only person in da hood without a piece ;)

Went to OnTarget and got an intro class and shot a bit (handguns), but eventually decided to pick up a shotgun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    18, Universal M1 Carbine. Father was not amused, but then started on his Philippines stories :D

Mike H

Jan 9, 2013
    20, I believe. Was a junior at the Univ of MD and a supervisor in the student auxiliary division of the police department. Kept the gun in my desk drawer -- probably wouldn't be a good thing to do now. The gun was a Dan Wesson 357 that I still have 35+ years later.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Let's see bought? Was 13, Winchester mdl 70 30-06 from Farmers Co-op less than $100, first handgun Ruger Blackhawk .44 mag..... kinda down hill from
    there, the fever hit and continued...

-Rock

CSJ

Dec 20, 2013
    Rockville
    Bought am M9 special edition in the late 90's when I was in my mid-thirties. Had no interest in an AR until Maryland said I couldn't buy one - now I wish I had not waited so long. Introduced my brothers and sons to firearms. It's great to all get together and go shooting. Bought my eldest son a Colt 1911 for his 21st birthday this year. Have a brand new one in the safe waiting for my youngest son to turn 21 next year. Love this sport. Now I just need to by some land to setup my own range (wishful thinking)

Edit

I just heard about the shooting in S.C. Thoughts and prayers go out to the victims and their families. What bad timing in regards to posting about gifts for my sons.

Last edited:

O-Hebi

Jul 19, 2013
    33 years old. I was in a conversation about the 2nd Amendment and whether I believed it meant what it said. My response was in the affirmative and one of the older guys told me that I should put my money where my mouth is. A week and a half later we resumed the conversation with me being the proud owner of a Glock brand Glock G35 and a Stag Arms Model 2T (which looks nothing like it originally did).

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    First one a Savage single shot shotgun around 1954 when I was 14, then a Marlin .22 lr that I traded in 1957 for a Remington Model 722 in .257 Roberts, which I still have in the house. I've since bought and sold well over 200 rifles, shotguns and pistols. Spent 21 years in the Army, 1963-1984, and have a healthy respect for firearms and weapons...they are our friends. I feel less safe in Laurel, MD than I ever did in Saigon, Nha Trang, Pleiku, Ban Me Thout, Tuy Hoa or Long Thanh North.

Lew--Ranger63

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    32. CVA wolf. Mix of disintrest, trepidation, lack of familial approval and lack of any need. Taking up hunting so I have a need. Trying not to be come completely obsessed.

CLee

Mar 31, 2013
    Pax River area
    Well, my husband usually bought all of our firearms. Right before all the HQL crap went into place he had me buy my Ruger Mark3 I use for Rimfire Matches. I've since bought another Ruger 10/22 for Appleseed and a Mosin Nagant rifle. Waiting on my C&R license to come back now. LOL

JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    I was 11 when I saved up my allowance and lawn mowing money to buy (with my dad signing the papers) to buy an H&R single shot .22 (this was 1967). Already had a Spanish .410 side by side that I had gotten for Christmas 6 months earlier.

Bought my first handgun (S&W model 39-2) a few days after my 21st birthday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom