• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bot12138

Aug 21, 2022
    Baltimore
    Hi guys, new turkey hunter here trying to plan for my first season. Can anyone tell me how to find turkeys on public land? I live in Montgomery county; are there any public land nearby that have a decent number of turkeys? If so, do I just scout by going in early in the morning and blasting off a few locator calls? Or are there any terrain features that I should be aware of?
    Any advise would be helpful, thank you.

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    Cracked corn and game cams will let you know if they’re around but cannot use that to lure them during the season. You might also capture pics of all kinds of critters as well. Also I found they like to bed in the pines if any in the area.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Cracked corn and game cams will let you know if they’re around but cannot use that to lure them during the season. You might also capture pics of all kinds of critters as well. Also I found they like to bed in the pines if any in the area.
    This! I lived in mont county all my life until recently. Germantown the last 35 years after I got married. Tons heading out 118 to Darnestown and towards Poolesville

OneGunTex

Escaped Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    Southern Maryland, no longer
    If so, do I just scout by going in early in the morning and blasting off a few locator calls?
    Yep. Find a high, preferably open, spot in the terrain before sunrise, sit and wait and listen. They typically gobble in the pre-dawn twilight before they get off the roost. At that hour, a locator call won't help.

Once you hear them, finding the roost can be very hard but worthwhile to try to narrow it down. There are a lot of large, tall, limbed trees for them to roost in. Often they roost on the ridge tops, sometimes down in the bottoms. Your most important task will be to find good places to sit within a few hundred yards of where you think they are. Note that we're pretty early still, and Tom behavior changes (esp roosts used) once they get into the season.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Right about the beginning of march or a week or two into it, head out to prospective location and listen for them gobbling on the roost.
    If you’re real lucky from there you can determine where they’re heading when they fly down.
    In the evening at dusk if you’re nearby you can hear them tree help and stuff like that.
    Position yourself in between the roost and where they’re feeding.
    Sometimes you can get them to shock gobble with a crow or hand held gobble call to figure what they do when the hens go to sit.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Used to scout the area at dusk the day before hunting and use a crow call. Turkeys almost always respond if they can hear it, and if they do you can get an idea of where they are roosting.

Get into the woods well before daylight and your odds are pretty good of at least seeing some turkeys.

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    I usually hunt near Woodbine / Lisbon at little Patuxent. I travel the pole lines back in dark. and get settled in. Good view and sometimes they feed on the side of the woods at pole lines. Toms strutting. I have heard most hunters use crow calls. I use a diaphragm call. Too much to carry or keep the slate or box call dry if wet out.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Using calls to locate turkeys may clue them into you being a human before the hunt.

Scout the ground beforehand and look for turkey poop, tracks, and places where the leaf cover has been dug up. The last is a pretty obvious sign not subtle at all.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Go deer hunting during deer season and you will see turkeys.
    Go Turkey hunting during turkey season and you will see deer.
    Go Rabbit hunting during rabbit season and you will see a 12 lb bass.

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    Just drive down the road by Elk Neck. lol!

386d5d398fad019a3a89c7f8dd10cbfd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    I always did best locating turkeys in the morning and just prior to scouting and finally hunting them.
    Roosting them in a tree never did much for letting me know where they were going to, especially during fly down in the morning. It does let you know where they are roosting no doubt.
    Up until the past year or so maybe you could never hunt them past noon. That portion of the season primarily, a bunch of the breeding is over which happens during March in most places.
    If your’e not seeing a bunch of turkeys like in the past, afternoon hunting and taking hens over bait in the fall combined with poor reporting could be why.
    Idk if that’s been discussed in the other thread for where are the turkeys or whatever the title may be.

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    He said he lives in Montgomery county and wants to hunt some public land nearby.
    To me that looks like some woods with maybe some fields in close proximity to a turkey roost.
    Whether that environment exists in Montgomery county I cannot say, doesn't sound like it too much.
    Definitely seen and heard them in Poolesville near River Road. One season a few years back I did not see not one the whole spring season until the day after spring season closed. I saw a big Jake standing on the side of the road near Sycamore Landing watching traffic, go figure….

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Definitely seen and heard them in Poolesville near River Road. One season a few years back I did not see not one the whole spring season until the day after spring season closed. I saw a big Jake standing on the side of the road near Sycamore Landing watching traffic, go figure….
    I used to use my canoe and bow hunt for deer at Triadelphia.
    Isn't that Montgomery county? Or maybe half in Howard it’s been a long time since going there. I think a permit purchase was required too but it’s been a long time.
    I know that wild turkey proliferation has dramatically increased as a whole across the state since then other than in the mountains due to relocating birds, restricted seasons prior to establishment etc.

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    Using calls to locate turkeys may clue them into you being a human before the hunt.

Scout the ground beforehand and look for turkey poop, tracks, and places where the leaf cover has been dug up. The last is a pretty obvious sign not subtle at all.
    Good points Sir. Yes look for scratched up ground as they travel and forage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom