• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Lots of good ideas already shared. Here is one other -- If we get snow between now and the season, put out some corn and a camera the day before. Then follow their tracks n the snow back to where they're roosting. That should give you a general idea. Then try to figure out what they are eating when you're not feeding them corn.

Sitting at high points along power line cuts where you can see a great distance can help. One of the best methods is to ask people in the area if they've seen turkeys crossing roads anywhere. Most people remember if they've had to stop their car for them.

msinc

Mar 12, 2010
    I will add that this time of year they seem to answer a really raspy call easier than they will a typical yelp. Get out there and do some calling and see what answers.....first light is always good, but you can also try first "hour"........I have had gobbles this time of year if I do a barred owl call, but not always. Best of luck and good hunting!!!!!

OneGunTex

Escaped Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    Southern Maryland, no longer
    Roosting them in a tree never did much for letting me know where they were going to, especially during fly down in the morning. It does let you know where they are roosting no doubt.
    While I agree that success calling birds down off the roost is low. ... HOT DAMN when it works is it awesome!! Talking to those birds on the roost. ... "yelp yelp GOBBLE yelp GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE" and then 20 minutes later he's thundering in. Ooh it gets your blood going

(The rest of the time, turkey hunting is cold wet and miserable. But when it's good, damn is it good)

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    If you get a gobble, and you know where they go when they come down.
    They know exactly where your at.
    More listening than calling and patience is the key element for successful turkey hunting.
    If you are new to turkey hunting and only learn one thing today, make it Brian's last sentence.

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I've seen a lot of turkeys in public parks on the weekends...oh wait, you probably mean the kind with feathers...sorry.

I used to see a number of them up in Elk Neck State Forest.

akalma

MDS Supporter
    Nov 24, 2008
    МоКо

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads