• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pilotguy

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Woodstock, MD
    McMahon, the chief, is a 2A supporter in an appointed position within the Democratic machine, so he is not voicing any opinion about the matter. As to the comment about car deaths versus death by violence, he used to be a Tactical team member and supervisor, as well as the commander of the Special Operations Division, which oversaw Tactical and Traffic. He is well aware of the fact that many more people die in car accidents in Howard County than are murdered, which is a point often made here on MDS. I would also note that he was one of only two command staff that I ever knew that always wore his gun belt--meaning he wasn't afraid to still do police work if it was needed.

Jim Fitzgerald, the Sheriff, was the police union president for many years. I know that in the past he was a 2A supporter, but have not spoken to him in over a decade, and so could not tell you what his opinion is now. He is not afraid to speak his mind, however, so if you get an answer from him I would believe that he would tell you exactly how he feels.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    McMahon, the chief, is a 2A supporter in an appointed position within the Democratic machine, so he is not voicing any opinion about the matter. As to the comment about car deaths versus death by violence, he used to be a Tactical team member and supervisor, as well as the commander of the Special Operations Division, which oversaw Tactical and Traffic. He is well aware of the fact that many more people die in car accidents in Howard County than are murdered, which is a point often made here on MDS. I would also note that he was one of only two command staff that I ever knew that always wore his gun belt--meaning he wasn't afraid to still do police work if it was needed.

Jim Fitzgerald, the Sheriff, was the police union president for many years. I know that in the past he was a 2A supporter, but have not spoken to him in over a decade, and so could not tell you what his opinion is now. He is not afraid to speak his mind, however, so if you get an answer from him I would believe that he would tell you exactly how he feels.

Thanks, that is some good information to know. Is Howard County really leaning that far to the left? I was hoping moving here from Montgomery County would be an improvement. Hope might have been misplaced.

pilotguy

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Woodstock, MD
    Howard County has been a solid D for many years. Remember, that Jim Robey was Chief, then County Executive, and now senator--and a sponsor of SB281.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Howard County has been a solid D for many years. Remember, that Jim Robey was Chief, then County Executive, and now senator--and a sponsor of SB281.

Both of my reps and Senator in western Howard County are Republicans. Allen Kittleman, Gail Bates, and Warren Miller. None of them are in favor of SB281. Seems as though I am in the right part of Howard County, no pun intended. Only a matter of time though until the entire cancer spreads and Howard County goes the way of Montgomery and PG.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Thanks, that is some good information to know. Is Howard County really leaning that far to the left? I was hoping moving here from Montgomery County would be an improvement. Hope might have been misplaced.

It was better before all the outsiders came here :D

Paladin

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    Feb 23, 2011
    Shoud have moved to Carroll

Should have moved to Carroll County. Our Sherriff is pro 2A and we don't have a county police force so he is the highest LEO in he county. Our commissioners are 100% republican and we have always been pretty independent - maybe that's why the state shuns us so much and looks to punish us for our republican and independent leanings. One of our Senators actually voted against 281.

BTW I commuted from Finksburg to Wheaton every day for five years - before the Metro made it to Silver Spring (mid - 80's)!!

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Should have moved to Carroll County. Our Sherriff is pro 2A and we don't have a county police force so he is the highest LEO in he county. Our commissioners are 100% republican and we have always been pretty independent - maybe that's why the state shuns us so much and looks to punish us for our republican and independent leanings. One of our Senators actually voted against 281.

BTW I commuted from Finksburg to Wheaton every day for five years - before the Metro made it to Silver Spring (mid - 80's)!!

Yeah, but the schools aren't what they are in western Howard County. The main reason for the move from Montgomery County to western Howard County was the public schools. My wife actually took a job in Ellicott City right after our first child was born because the idea was to move here for the schools at that point. Took 3 years, but we got it done. Granted, there were a lot of other secondary things involved (e.g., acreage, no HOA, bigger house, close to my wife's work, in the middle of my group of clients).

Trust me, if the schools in Carroll County, Frederick County, the Eastern Shore, or further west in Maryland were better than Howard County, we would have moved there. About a month ago, I told my wife I was thinking about moving to Virginia and she immediately started looking at school districts in Richmond and sending me links to nice houses/properties in acceptable school districts. I think she would be onboard with a change of state in a heartbeat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom