• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boss66tcode

a bit of an Eddie Haskle
    Sep 8, 2008
    in 'da hills
    Even if you are hunting, I'd go with SP rather than HP. Hollow points will function fine, but keep in mind, this caliber isn't known for being a high velocity round. FMJ is best, with SP for hunting, IMHO.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    boss66tcode said:
    Even if you are hunting, I'd go with SP rather than HP. Hollow points will function fine, but keep in mind, this caliber isn't known for being a high velocity round. FMJ is best, with SP for hunting, IMHO.

^^This^^

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    1) only one way to find out if it works

2) HP's made in Russia aren't like the premium ones we have here that are designed to expand every time if the situation is right. They might expand...they might not.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    The only HP in 7.62x39 I have heard of that expands, is the 8m3 bullet which used to be used in the Wolf Classic but NOW in the 124gr Tula HP. The 122gr Tula HP IS NOT the same. My SKS seems to like the HP stuff okay, but for reliability in the SHTF I stocked up on the Yugo M67. I am not opposed to getting a spam can of FMJ though. If you are just looking to hit paper for fun, the UCW and Tula I got at Walmart always worked and was fun if it's just for recreational.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    The only HP in 7.62x39 I have heard of that expands, is the 8m3 bullet which used to be used in the Wolf Classic but NOW in the 124gr Tula HP. The 122gr Tula HP IS NOT the same. My SKS seems to like the HP stuff okay, but for reliability in the SHTF I stocked up on the Yugo M67. I am not opposed to getting a spam can of FMJ though. If you are just looking to hit paper for fun, the UCW and Tula I got at Walmart always worked and was fun if it's just for recreational.

I think if it feeds right you should invest in some type of hunting rounds for the 7.62x39. More expensive, but a few rounds for your go to stash would be affordable. You can't rely on any of that russian junk to expand reliably.

You can't rely on anything to expand reliably anyways. Multiple shots FTW.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates

Have they stopped their price-gouging yet?

22¢ per round .... pretty sure that's cheaper than Walmart. What Walmarts in MD carry it ... I don't recall seeing it

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    22¢ per round .... pretty sure that's cheaper than Walmart. What Walmarts in MD carry it ... I don't recall seeing it

Who buys 7.62x39 from wal-mart? :sad20:

Once you add CTD's stupid ****ing "special ammo handling charge" on top of shipping, that 22 cents per round suddenly ain't anywhere CLOSE to 22 cents per round.

After the shit CTD pulled post-election in 2008, claiming PMAGS were "MSRP" of over 50 bucks each, then "drastically slashing" that price "down" to a "bargain basement" $29.99 each, **** them and their worthless whore mothers.

There are plenty of local gun shops that sell it, there's gun shows all the time around the MD/VA area, and there are PLENTY of online retailers that DIDN'T pull the ******** games CTD and Ammoman have both pulled in the past (look up the Ammoman "Vietnam bring-back SKS" scandal on ar15.com) to EVER justify buying from either of those retailers.

Hint:

http://www.sgammo.com/product/brown...x39-brown-bear-hp-hollow-point-poly-coated-am

Seriously, anyone who shoots regularly that DOESN'T have the Gun Deals ammo page bookmarked is an idiot. :)

Sirex