• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    A hunter had to act quickly to protect himself last week, when he found himself being stalked by a mountain lion. Jared C Erickson was recording himself hunting elk in Idaho when he realized he'd attracted the big cat's attention.

In the resulting video, which you can watch below, Erickson begins by calling to the mountain lion to stay back, but the animal continues to approach. After a few moments it suddenly begins to leap forward, prompting Erickson to fire two warning shots to scare it back.

I saw this last week and am convinced he was either a really bad shot or extremely spooked because those weren't warning shots.
    If a big cat is stalking me, it is getting a round in the ground a few feet in front of it. If it continues to stalk me, I will shoot until it is no longer moving.
    I don't trust cats; domestic or wild.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I saw this last week and am convinced he was either a really bad shot or extremely spooked because those weren't warning shots.
    If a big cat is stalking me, it is getting a round in the ground a few feet in front of it. If it continues to stalk me, I will shoot until it is no longer moving.

Is it just me but he took way too long to take a shot. Even way longer to give it a warning shot.
    And if those were warning shots, It would have been more effective to make them more in its view instead of behind it.

May 21, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Damn. If that cat lunged I bet he'd have under 2 seconds before it was on him like a cheap suit.

Dude was lucky as hell, glad it turned out good for him and the damn cat.

Is it just me but he took way too long to take a shot. Even way longer to give it a warning shot.
    And if those were warning shots, It would have been more effective to make them more in its view instead of behind it.
    Doing my job for the past 7+ years have given me a new perspective on territorial/dominant animals vs. animals that want to kill you.
    That: P. concolor, Cougar, Puma, Mountain Lion, Nittany Lion, Florida Panther, et al was not defending territory or cubs. It was actively stalking the guy.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Yup. I’d agree with the assessment that at least the first one was not a warning shot. The second one maybe.

I’d have put one in the ground much sooner. That cat started out maybe 40 feet from him in the video. Zero chance I’d let a mountain lion get that close to me (knowingly). He is danged lucky it immediately veered off. Because he would not have had time for a second shot as it sprang towards him with the first shot missing.

Yup. I’d agree with the assessment that at least the first one was not a warning shot. The second one maybe.

I’d have put one in the ground much sooner. That cat started out maybe 40 feet from him in the video. Zero chance I’d let a mountain lion get that close to me (knowingly). He is danged lucky it immediately veered off. Because he would not have had time for a second shot as it sprang towards him with the first shot missing.
    I'm sure the "21 foot rule" is a lot shorter when dealing with a big cat.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I love cats domestic and wild. I’ll admit I’d be maybe more likely to hunt wolves than mountain lions because of my love of cats (I like dogs. But I love cats).

But I don’t love ANYTHING enough to let it eat me. I’d much rather feel really bad about the poor dead giant cat than be a hair ball.

And also, there is a lot of spill over in domestic and wild cat behavior and mannerisms. That mountain lion was 100% from the start going for the kill. There was no curiosity or interest in the behavior and either he was going to need to scare it off or kill it. I am glad it worked out for both of them in the end.

But beyond putting the damned phone down. Lesson one of big cats. Appear big and threatening. Arms in the air and waving around while yelling at it is a good idea. Arms in front of you holding your phone and your handgun, not so good.

That is the first thing he should have done and a few seconds in as he backed and it kept stalking him should have been a warning shot in to the ground or air. And if it kept up, one in to it.

Abuck

Ultimate Member
    I love cats domestic and wild. I’ll admit I’d be maybe more likely to hunt wolves than mountain lions because of my love of cats (I like dogs. But I love cats).

But I don’t love ANYTHING enough to let it eat me. I’d much rather feel really bad about the poor dead giant cat than be a hair ball.

And also, there is a lot of spill over in domestic and wild cat behavior and mannerisms. That mountain lion was 100% from the start going for the kill. There was no curiosity or interest in the behavior and either he was going to need to scare it off or kill it. I am glad it worked out for both of them in the end.

But beyond putting the damned phone down. Lesson one of big cats. Appear big and threatening. Arms in the air and waving around while yelling at it is a good idea. Arms in front of you holding your phone and your handgun, not so good.

That is the first thing he should have done and a few seconds in as he backed and it kept stalking him should have been a warning shot in to the ground or air. And if it kept up, one in to it.
    I know there is no bobcat hunting in MD. But GRSF is thick with them, and I see several every year, even in daylight. If I saw one this size tracking me, the 3 S’s would be in play. All pics the same size.

Attachments

• 229A4A98-D8D5-4E5E-B1EE-3E1BB7A987E0.jpeg
      229A4A98-D8D5-4E5E-B1EE-3E1BB7A987E0.jpeg
      232.9 KB · Views: 96

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    My Uncle Ralph was killed by a Cougar

It ran a Red Light when he was crossing Hanover Street. He never saw it coming.
    :lol:

Diet Mt. Dew shot through nose.

I approve of this post

Bobcat Lives Matter!
    Frostburg State University approves

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    Ran into a bobcat about 6 years ago down at the C&O canal towpath without any firearms on my person.

That was one upset animal and the growling was intimidating. I did manage to walk away.

One of the several experiences I’ve had in remote areas as to why I feel strongly about being armed in those remote areas.

Of course the human predators are of concern as well.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    On a serious note, if that guy had shot and killed that animal what would have happened to him?

I know what would have happened to him if he did not have a gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom