• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    I saw this and had a good laugh, if I had to carry more than a small back pack you might as well plant a sporting goods store in the middle of the hunting area.

What do you carry while hunting?
    Gun and ammo
    Back pack with:
    1 roll TP, water, firstaid kit, fire starting device, knife for gutting and some beenie weenies, string, compas plastic bag for heart and liver. Most of all leave no sign of you where there. I hate butt heads that leave their stuff in the woods including empty shells.

Attachments

• Hunters Checklist.pdf
      172.3 KB · Views: 115

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Didn’t want to download the PDF, so I didn’t see the list.
    Hunting private property, I’m rarely ever more than 300 yards from my vehicle.
    I carry a small backpack with extra ammo, range finder, knife, rubber gloves, water bottle, snacks, and an extra lighter weight jacket.
    My vehicle is very well stocked with everything else I might need, along with a very nice 1st aid kit.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    I saw this and had a good laugh, if I had to carry more than a small back pack you might as well plant a sporting goods store in the middle of the hunting area.

What do you carry while hunting?
    Gun and ammo
    Back pack with:
    1 roll TP, water, firstaid kit, fire starting device, knife for gutting and some beenie weenies, string, compas plastic bag for heart and liver. Most of all leave no sign of you where there. I hate butt heads that leave their stuff in the woods including empty shells.
    LOL at the PDF list. Might as well rent a u-haul for everything on that list. The full list It would cover almost any scenario - like if your truck gets stuck off-roading to your basecamp (assuming the winch fails) and you're stuck out there for long enough for the seasons to change and you'd need to be dressed appropriately as you make some new arrows to keep yourself fed (and you'd even have all of the normal utensils that you'd have at home!).

Assuming that list is intended to cover everything that you might conceivably need in your lifetime as a hunter rather than a check list for a day out. Yeah, not hauling a bow press with me anywhere for a day hunt.

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    Here's a thread I started several years ago. Keep in mind, I am a tree stand hunter. I've rarely had property large enough where I could roam freely, though that is a fun way to hunt deer and I have killed my fare share on spot and stalk hunts.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    Didn’t want to download the PDF, so I didn’t see the list.
    Hunting private property, I’m rarely ever more than 300 yards from my vehicle.
    I carry a small backpack with extra ammo, range finder, knife, rubber gloves, water bottle, snacks, and an extra lighter weight jacket.
    My vehicle is very well stocked with everything else I might need, along with a very nice 1st aid kit.
    I like the "within 300 yards of my vehicle" idea. When I used to hunt Quantico I once shot a deer almost a mile from the road. By the time I had dragged it out to the road I was so exhausted I had a hard time getting it into the bed of my pickup.

Last half dozen or so deer I've taken were shot from my 2nd floor dining room. Much more convenient.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I like the "within 300 yards of my vehicle" idea. When I used to hunt Quantico I once shot a deer almost a mile from the road. By the time I had dragged it out to the road I was so exhausted I had a hard time getting it into the bed of my pickup.

Last half dozen or so deer I've taken were shot from my 2nd floor dining room. Much more convenient.
    Oh for sure this.

On the actual topic, it depends on where I am hunting. My property, well where I tend to setup my pop-up blind is no more than 40yds from my house. My stand is about 70yds from my house. The stand I carry more stuff to. The blind setup I sometimes take my pack. Sometimes just my crossbow, rangefinder, thermacell, nook to read while I wait and a canteen or thermos of coffee. I do not sit my blind all day. Usually just pre-dawn till around 9am. Or in the afternoon from around 4pm till after dusk. If I shoot a deer, I'll go in and get my pack.

My stand sometimes I'll sit all day and it is more work if I decide I need or want something from inside. So I almost always bring my pack, which has my minimum pack stuff in it. That is 8x32 binocs, headlamp, LED utility light to hang from a tree for dressing, 25ft of paracord, harness deer drag, deer call, a couple deer tags and butcher tags in luggage tag covers, a few zip ties, folding knife, a few small zip lock bags (I toss my knife in one when done dressing), butt-out, small first aid kit with some extra trauma supplies crammed in it (hivent pack, celox packet, trauma pad), tourniquet, matches in the water proof first aid kit bag, lighter, small lithium ion battery pack (the lipstick sized ones) and charging cable for my phone and for my LED lights, hunting/camo utility gloves, lightweight camo balaclava, canteen.

Seasonal/weather/duration of hunt I'll throw extra stuff in my pack.

Could be a rain jacket. Could be a rain jacket and rain pants. It could be a medium jacket. Or long underwear. Or extra wool socks. Or all of the above. Often a snack. All day it'll probably be a PB&J sandwich or two, some trail mix, a couple of granola bars and some jerky.

If I am going to be out on public land, I may have a pop-up blind, or tree stand in tow and usually have a 2nd canteen of water.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD

That is the reason I now have one of thoes roll up plastic deer sleds so much easier.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I got a 3L pack and carry the following

Hunting license, permission slips, deer tags all in a sandwich bag.
    Knife
    pen
    Drag - 1' of 1" dowel with 6' rope on it.
    1 gallon zip lock bag for heart and liver.
    Flushable wipes for cleaning the arms. They disintegrate and I check for it and they are gone in a month.
    Granola bars
    Season depending - Crossbow cocker and wax, muzzle loader starter reloads and bullets.
    Quiver mounts on my back pack
    Rain jacket and pants, if threatening storms could be an issue.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    I've found that folded paper towel sheets are much more useful that TP. Paper towels will hold up in the rain, TP not so much.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    That is the reason I now have one of thoes roll up plastic deer sleds so much easier.
    Nope, ATV for me.
    I’m lucky enough that both places I deer hunt most frequently, allow me to keep a four wheeler on the property. At both places they are under roof!

Last edited:

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    This thread reminded me.

Back when all the vehicle registration expired on the same day, that day for some reason was around opening day of Turkey season. For something like 3 to 4 years in a row, my hunting buddy would forget to put his new sticker on and we would have to turn around half way there at zero-dark-thirty to go back to his place to get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom