• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Here is my list:

That pdf list is pretty silly -- half of the stuff in the first column on the first page could be summed up as "weapon" or "Bow and arrows" and the rest is more like stuff to have at your camp if you're hunting far from home. My list for hunting at home or on land where I'm not more than a mile from my truck is pretty similar to OP Harrys'.

Carried/on me:
    Bow & 4 arrows (or gun and 5-10 bullets)
    Safety harness (doubles as a haul line/drag system)
    Face paint (makes me feel like I'm really trying hard)
    Phone on silent
    Compass (if I'm not at home)
    Orange vest/hat in the gun season
    Hand warmers if it's cold
    GPS if I'm in the mountains
    Climber stand if on public land

Small backpack:
    Small first aid kit (includes quick clot bandage in case of arrow/gun shot accident)
    1 liter of water
    snack wrapped in a hankerchief so it's quiet (candy bar, nuts, apple, maybe a sandwich if it's going to be a long/cold sit)
    Book (the only way I can manage to sit still is if I read)
    Extra clothes if needed (e.g. a down vest, gloves, rain jacket, socks, warm hat)

Fanny pack that goes inside the backpack:
    (I found it's useful to have these small things in a fanny pack so they aren't loose in the backpack and I can carry it if I have to track the deer into a thicket):
    sharp short knife and mini sharpener (I use a little 3" buck knife)
    5-hour energy drink (previously opened so it won't be noisy)
    2 big zip lock bags for organs
    2 small zip ties to tie off guts
    Bic lighter, vasaline fatwood sticks (vasaline doubles as lip balm and fire starter)
    Paper copy of hunting license
    Paper tag pre-filled out minus the details with zip tie to attach to the deer
    Brightest headlamp possible

With me but stays at the truck or house:
    Field spray scent elimination stuff (I don't think this stuff works but I still use it since it's cheap)
    6-pack of beer in cooler for if I'm successful (every time I get to go hunting is a success in my mind)
    Sled
    More food
    extra boots
    Make up remover pads (gotta remove that important face paint)
    Bigass flashlight and extra batteries -- I use a spotlight type one that is made for marine use -- makes tracking in the dark way easier
    Dog (mine died this year but ordinarily and again once I get a new dog, my dog will wait in the truck in case I need help tracking)

I do some hunting in the mountains in Virginia as well. In those cases, I take a more robust first aid kit and more water since I'm likely 15-30 minutes walk to the truck and 45 minutes to an hour or more from a town. I've hunted in weather during the deer season there that has ranged from 10 to 60 degrees in a single sit. Last year I killed a deer in 20 degree air with wet, sideways blowing snow. So it pays to be prepared for any weather.

For waterfowl hunting, it's a slightly different weapons and clothing list but the main new thing I added last year is an inflatable camo CO2 life vest to wear on the boat.

Keeping the gear as light and small as possible is especially important if I'm carrying a climber stand. So I've learned to slim stuff down and only take what I really need. But I never sacrifice bringing basic stuff that could save my life in an emergency. The weather is looking like it's going to be cool on Saturday morning, so I'm planning to do my first hunt then. Good luck to everyone!

Last edited:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Here is my list:

That pdf list is pretty silly -- half of the stuff in the first column on the first page could be summed up as "weapon" or "Bow and arrows" and the rest is more like stuff to have at your camp if you're hunting far from home. My list for hunting at home or on land where I'm not more than a mile from my truck is pretty similar to OP Harrys'.

Carried/on me:
    Bow & 4 arrows (or gun and 5-10 bullets)
    Safety harness (doubles as a haul line/drag system)
    Face paint (makes me feel like I'm really trying hard)
    Phone on silent
    Compass (if I'm not at home)
    Orange vest/hat in the gun season
    Hand warmers if it's cold
    GPS if I'm in the mountains
    Climber stand if on public land

Small backpack:
    Small first aid kit (includes quick clot bandage in case of arrow/gun shot accident)
    1 liter of water
    snack wrapped in a hankerchief so it's quiet (candy bar, nuts, apple, maybe a sandwich if it's going to be a long/cold sit)
    Book (the only way I can manage to sit still is if I read)
    Extra clothes if needed (e.g. a down vest, gloves, rain jacket, socks, warm hat)

Fanny pack that goes inside the backpack:
    (I found it's useful to have these small things in a fanny pack so they aren't loose in the backpack and I can carry it if I have to track the deer into a thicket):
    sharp short knife and mini sharpener (I use a little 3" buck knife)
    5-hour energy drink (previously opened so it won't be noisy)
    2 big zip lock bags for organs
    2 small zip ties to tie off guts
    Bic lighter, vasaline fatwood sticks (vasaline doubles as lip balm and fire starter)
    Paper copy of hunting license
    Paper tag pre-filled out minus the details with zip tie to attach to the deer
    Brightest headlamp possible

With me but stays at the truck or house:
    Field spray scent elimination stuff (I don't think this stuff works but I still use it since it's cheap)
    6-pack of beer in cooler for if I'm successful (every time I get to go hunting is a success in my mind)
    Sled
    More food
    extra boots
    Make up remover pads (gotta remove that important face paint)
    Bigass flashlight and extra batteries -- I use a spotlight type one that is made for marine use -- makes tracking in the dark way easier
    Dog (mine died this year but ordinarily and again once I get a new dog, my dog will wait in the truck in case I need help tracking)

I do some hunting in the mountains in Virginia as well. In those cases, I take a more robust first aid kit and more water since I'm likely 15-30 minutes walk to the truck and 45 minutes to an hour or more from a town. I've hunted in weather during the deer season there that has ranged from 10 to 60 degrees in a single sit. Last year I killed a deer in 20 degree air with wet, sideways blowing snow. So it pays to be prepared for any weather.

For waterfowl hunting, it's a slightly different weapons and clothing list but the main new thing I added last year is an inflatable camo CO2 life vest to wear on the boat.

Keeping the gear as light and small as possible is especially important if I'm carrying a climber stand. So I've learned to slim stuff down and only take what I really need. But I never sacrifice bringing basic stuff that could save my life in an emergency. The weather is looking like it's going to be cool on Saturday morning, so I'm planning to do my first hunt then. Good luck to everyone!

Yeah to your last points, where and when determine a lot. As well as where the gear is. The further I am going from a roof or a vehicle, the more I take with me. And especially the worse the weather is likely to be. If it looks like snow and cold, I am probably carrying 10lbs of extra stuff on me between extra dry layers, food and quick shelter stuff (I'll carry a space blanket bivy with me if it looks like more than a dusting is likely, or freezing rain).

Hunting at home I practically hunt naked. Basically, a crowsbow and a safety harness is all I take up my tree stand sometimes if it is going to be a short planned sit (I mean...with clothes on, I was being figurative on hunting naked).

A long drive to public land, especially if that public land is going to be a LONG hike to real civilization, let alone town, I usually keep 1/2-1 gallon of water in my car. That is on top of my regular vehicle "survival" stuff. Which is 2 rolls of TP, lighter, a couple adjustable wrenches, pliers, screw drivers, leatherman tool, 3" locking folding knife, jack, spare tire, tire patch kit, lithium ion jump start pack, GMRS/weather radio, compass, 4 space blankets, first aid kit, tourniquet, Israeli bandage, celox, LED magnetic utility/work light, fleece blanket, browning synthetic down camp blanket in sack/bag. The later two are also great for naps in the car. browning blanket I've tried out twice and its pretty warm and nice and works as a cold weather poncho if you wanted (you could cut a hole and make it a poncho too if you wanted. Not that I want to except in an emergency). But really 95% of the use of those is to use the browning blanket in its stuff sack as a pillow and the small fleece blanket as a blanket for cool/cold weather naps in my car. Plenty warm enough with the windows rolled up down to about 30F with appropriate winter clothes on for a couple of hour nap and feel nice and toasty when I wake up.

Wintertime hunting sometimes I will leave a thermos of soup in my car and mid-day hike back to my car for lunch and a 30-60 minute nap. Usually I stay in the field all day and take the thermos of soup with me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom