I need some help with a Dillion 650xl. Willing to pay!!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gwynne86

Mar 20, 2011
    MD
    Hey y'all, I have a Dylan XL 650, that I bought in total from a gentleman. He had passed away so I bought it from his family. I have all the parts I'm just cannot get it to run consistently. I would love to have somebody come by give me a hand money beer ammo if you're willing to help thanks

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Location?

A friend and I run multiple dillons. They are great presses. I've broken more than a few parts in them but that's what happens.

First steps:
    What are you loading (caliber and load data)?
    Are you running a case feeder?
    When you say "consistently" I assume that the press is stopped by a malfunction or misalignment. Can you describe or photograph the issue?

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    If you go to Dillon's website there are tons of videos (probably on youtube as well) that detail and explain just about everything there is to know, adjust, setup on their presses.

sundaeman

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 16, 2008
    Besides what is the problem(a) and other questions already asked, is it mounted to a solid, stable surface?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Hey y'all, I have a Dylan XL 650, that I bought in total from a gentleman. He had passed away so I bought it from his family. I have all the parts I'm just cannot get it to run consistently. I would love to have somebody come by give me a hand money beer ammo if you're willing to help thanks
    You gotta tell us what the problem is before we can help fix it.

TBH, the 650 is probably the most idiot-proof progressive ever made. There are things that can go wrong (and I sometimes think I've experienced all of them), but compared to the competition, it's pretty hard to beat. IMHO, a thing to check for with "doesn't run consistently" on a used press is the indexer ring, which can sometimes break (made of plastic). The press will technically still work to some degree with it broken, but you'll have constant issues with the index being off. It's not a lot of fun to replace, but I'm sure there are YT videos to guide you.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland

TBH, the 650 is probably the most idiot-proof progressive ever made. There are things that can go wrong (and I sometimes think I've experienced all of them), but compared to the competition, it's pretty hard to beat. IMHO, a thing to check for with "doesn't run consistently" on a used press is the indexer ring, which can sometimes break (made of plastic). The press will technically still work to some degree with it broken, but you'll have constant issues with the index being off. It's not a lot of fun to replace, but I'm sure there are YT videos to guide you.
    Erwos,

Broken these on 650 and 750. Definitely a thing. The indexer return springs are also a wear point. The surface the indexer slides on also needs to be relatively clean and seems to be an accumulation point for funk.

A guy I know had one that wouldn't run for beans. I literally unscrewed the shoulder bolt a quarter turn. Not saying that's the problem here, but I agree with you on your characterization of the Dillon press.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    A guy I know had one that wouldn't run for beans. I literally unscrewed the shoulder bolt a quarter turn. Not saying that's the problem here, but I agree with you on your characterization of the Dillon press.
    Yeah, you're right about the shoulder bolt and shell plate tension. It is arguably one of the most critical things to get just about perfect... too tight, your press won't turn. Too loose, and you get indexing failures and high primers. The difference between too loose and too tight can be pretty fine. :)

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Yeah, you're right about the shoulder bolt and shell plate tension. It is arguably one of the most critical things to get just about perfect... too tight, your press won't turn. Too loose, and you get indexing failures and high primers. The difference between too loose and too tight can be pretty fine. :)
    I prime off press, even pistol ammo, after the hole my buddy made in the ceiling....not to mention taking out a whole four foot lay in fixture!

Bolt adjustment and keeping the area under the shell plate clean are clutch. Way fewer indexer issues after instituting a cleaning standard instead of "when it feels weird".

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I use a bearing on my shell plate and it works great. I can get the shoulder bolt tight enough to prevent any 'freeplay', but still loose enough for the shell plate to rotate freely. It's a fairly cheap upgrade.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I prime off press, even pistol ammo, after the hole my buddy made in the ceiling....not to mention taking out a whole four foot lay in fixture!
    Not really an option with the volumes I shoot for pistol. Also not personally a big fan of hand-priming due to having that stuff even closer to me. :P I see how it makes sense for lower-volume precision, though.

Gwynne86

Mar 20, 2011
    MD
    Good evening all! Thanks for the responses. I just can't get it to run. I have everything, I just don't get it. It makes me feel really stupid.

Gwynne86

Mar 20, 2011
    MD
    Location?

A friend and I run multiple dillons. They are great presses. I've broken more than a few parts in them but that's what happens.

First steps:
    When you say "consistently" I assume that the press is stopped by a malfunction or misalignment. Can you describe or photograph the issue?
    Chesapeake Beach, Calvert county

Gwynne86

Mar 20, 2011
    MD

To be honest kind of an idiot...lol.

Gwynne86

Mar 20, 2011
    MD
    Location?

First steps:
    Calvert county, MD

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    Get that thing mounted securely to a good solid table or work bench, and send me a PM to work on a schedule. The points above are valid, especially of the allen key bolt that holds the plate.

Great machines. I need to get mine unpacked and put back in service. Running low on good 6.5x55 Swede.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom