If I add you to my trust, can I then sell you the suppressor?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Worsley

I apologize for hurting your feelings!
    Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster
    I am not sure how it all works, but if I add someone to my trust, how long will it take for them to be able to use my suppressor? And if I then sell the suppressor to somebody on my trust, can they take possession off it and use it while they wait for the paperwork to go through?

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I am not sure how it all works, but if I add someone to my trust, how long will it take for them to be able to use my suppressor? And if I then sell the suppressor to somebody on my trust, can they take possession off it and use it while they wait for the paperwork to go through?
    If they are on your trust (as trustees) they can use your suppressor, they don't have to own it.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    The trust actually owns the suppressor. If someone is listed as a responsible person on the trust they have as much right to use it as you do. I guess they could buy you out of the trust?

Worsley

Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster
    The trust actually owns the suppressor. If someone is listed as a responsible person on the trust they have as much right to use it as you do. I guess they could buy you out of the trust?
    That’s what I was thinking. If I wanted to sell my can, I could add the buyer to my trust and then sign the trust over to the buyer?

That’s what I was thinking. If I wanted to sell my can, I could add the buyer to my trust and then sign the trust over to the buyer?
    It is a little trickier than that- unless you want them to take everything in the trust.
    As stated above, the trust owns the can, SBR, et al. If you wanted to sell/give everything to another trustee, you could simply remove yourself and other trustees from the trust. The remaining trustee would then be the sole possessor of the trust.
    For selling a single item out of a trust you would need someone smarter than me.

Worsley

Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster
    It is a little trickier than that- unless you want them to take everything in the trust.
    As stated above, the trust owns the can, SBR, et al. If you wanted to sell/give everything to another trustee, you could simply remove yourself and other trustees from the trust. The remaining trustee would then be the sole possessor of the trust.
    For selling a single item out of a trust you would need someone smarter than me.
    It’s the only item in the trust. So that would make it simple. It would make selling a can so much easier and doable.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    Talk to an attorney that deals in NFA stuff. The advice you get on here for legal stuff is worth exactly what you paid for it, nothing.
    This is good advice:lol:
    You don't want to fall on the wrong side of the law, but if you do you should consider the consequences. Such as a minor game violation that'll get you a ticket and a fine compared to a violation that will get you jail time and all your firearms confiscated.

Worsley

Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster
    Talk to an attorney that deals in NFA stuff. The advice you get on here for legal stuff is worth exactly what you paid for it, nothing.
    You are right... I was wondering if I added someone to the trust and then remove myself if they become the owner. But chatting with a lawyer makes sense.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    I think thats one of the reasons Silencer Shop came up with the single shot trust ( I think ). You can add someone to the trust and they can buy you out of the trust.

I have seen a few suppressors listed as a single shot trust, no transfer fee stated, just "buy" the trust. It is probably just a loop hole but a legal one.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I think thats one of the reasons Silencer Shop came up with the single shot trust ( I think ). You can add someone to the trust and they can buy you out of the trust.

I have seen a few suppressors listed as a single shot trust, no transfer fee stated, just "buy" the trust. It is probably just a loop hole but a legal one.
    I believe this would be legal. But it’s worth what you paid for the advice.

And you’d want to make real sure the trust paperwork is real good and you keep a copy of everything in perpetuity for adding and removal.

I’d go the legal advice route. But IMHO even if it falls in to loophole, but legal. I’d probably only consider it with a family member.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County

For the record if something is legal it's not a "loophole" it's following the law.

Merry Christmas!

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

Nope.

They made the single shot so that you can limit access to individual items.

Once the settlor leaves the trust, it is dissolved and all trust property is now in pretty nasty NFA legal limbo.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Isn't the "chatting with a [decent] lawyer" thing (let alone getting them involved in modifying a trust) every bit as or more expensive than the new owner just buying a new tax stamp?

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Isn't the "chatting with a [decent] lawyer" thing (let alone getting them involved in modifying a trust) every bit as or more expensive than the new owner just buying a new tax stamp?

I would think so. Sounds like the OP is just trying to save the potential new owner $200.
    I’d just sell it to them, the rest is their problem.
    If they bought it themselves from an FFL they’d be paying it anyways

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom