If I add you to my trust, can I then sell you the suppressor?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Worsley

I apologize for hurting your feelings!
    Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster
    I would think so. Sounds like the OP is just trying to save the potential new owner $200.
    I’d just sell it to them, the rest is their problem.
    If they bought it themselves from an FFL they’d be paying it anyways

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Saving money is part of it, the other part is how to minimize the wait time. Right now when someone buys a can, it is about a year process. I was wondering, 1) how long does it take to add someone to my single shot trust (seems like weeks not months), and 2) can the person added to my trust assume ownership upon purchase vs having to go through the year long process?

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Saving money is part of it, the other part is how to minimize the wait time. Right now when someone buys a can, it is about a year process. I was wondering, 1) how long does it take to add someone to my single shot trust (seems like weeks not months), and 2) can the person added to my trust assume ownership upon purchase vs having to go through the year long process?

1. Adding somebody to the trust takes a long as it takes to sign in front of a notary.

2. No, they can not. It has already been stated that once the settlor leaves the trust, the trust is dissolved. In addition to that, you are purposefully attempting to avoid the RPQ check on this person, just to save time and money.

You can't do what you've asked. Asking the same question multiple times will not change the answers you will get.

The easiest way and the legal way to do it is to walk into a shop, have the buyer do a form 4, and pay the transfer fee for the stamp. There is no other way for you to try to work around that. Who cares if they have to wait 6 months for approval. That isn't your problem. Staying out of jail is your problem, not to make life easier for somebody else.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    1. Adding somebody to the trust takes a long as it takes to sign in front of a notary.

2. No, they can not. It has already been stated that once the settlor leaves the trust, the trust is dissolved. In addition to that, you are purposefully attempting to avoid the RPQ check on this person, just to save time and money.

You can't do what you've asked. Asking the same question multiple times will not change the answers you will get.

The easiest way and the legal way to do it is to walk into a shop, have the buyer do a form 4, and pay the transfer fee for the stamp. There is no other way for you to try to work around that. Who cares if they have to wait 6 months for approval. That isn't your problem. Staying out of jail is your problem, not to make life easier for somebody else.
    My plan is to add my son to my trust so that when I check out he takes over what's in there.
    Will that not work?

Worsley

I apologize for hurting your feelings!
    Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster

So you are saying there is a chance?

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    If hes listed as the successor trustee, there isn't even Form 5s. He should just assume control of the trust.
    The ATF forced trusts to be ones that can't pass from generation to generation like you think. All trusted after a certain date are ones that dissolve on the death of the creator of the trust.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

I thought everyone on the trust needed to provide fingerprints to the ATF if they are a trustee. Am I mistaken? Wouldn’t they have to do that in addition to having it notarized?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dovk0802

Sep 20, 2017
    DC
    I've transferred NFA items from another trust and out of mine on a form 4, I filled out myself. Once the stamp is received, update the trust inventory.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    The silencer shop thing may be due to how they word their trusts. If they only name beneficiaries and not successor trustees that could be one difference.

I thought everyone on the trust needed to provide fingerprints to the ATF if they are a trustee. Am I mistaken? Wouldn’t they have to do that in addition to having it notarized?

IANAL: Only need to provide fingerprints for people who are 'responsible parties' on the trust when you transfer a new item. It's not done when you add people after the fact.
    Example: You and Bob are trustee's. The trust buys a new suppressor. You and Bob have to submit fingerprints. After its transferred, you later add Sally to the trust w/ a notarized form. Sally does not get printed. If the trust then buys another suppressor, you, Bob, and Sally all get fingerprinted and you have to send the new notarized additions to the ATF along w/ your trust.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    The silencer shop thing may be due to how they word their trusts. If they only name beneficiaries and not successor trustees that could be one difference.

IANAL: Only need to provide fingerprints for people who are 'responsible parties' on the trust when you transfer a new item. It's not done when you add people after the fact.
    Example: You and Bob are trustee's. The trust buys a new suppressor. You and Bob have to submit fingerprints. After its transferred, you later add Sally to the trust w/ a notarized form. Sally does not get printed. If the trust then buys another suppressor, you, Bob, and Sally all get fingerprinted and you have to send the new notarized additions to the ATF along w/ your trust.
    The part for me is possible, but I looked around and not many, if any, trusts are being done the way they originally were.

The second part of your post is true. Only when buying a new item does the amendment form(s), RPQ's, and prints need to be submitted to the ATF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom