• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KP Shooter

Le Flâneur
    Dec 1, 2009
    Long Island/ MoCo
    So a friend and I were talking about open carry and conceal carry and an intereseting point was brough up. If you carried a flintlock pistol, say something from the mid 1800's, would it be considered a violation of the law. It is my understanding is that if a firearm is that old, it is not really deemed a firearm anymore, but more of an antique (firearm)?

Thoughts on the topic?

I hope this wasn't asked before. I was not really sure how to search for something like this.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    No - it would be considered an assault-flintlock, and only the military and police should have assault-flintlocks.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    It was a 'weapon of war' in the past and no has use in the hands of civilians....

Not sure but I think Maryland would still consider it a weapon/gun for the purpose of carry/use. The only difference age would make is if it's old enough to be considered antique, no FFL would be required to purchase. But I could be wrong.....

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    This was argued to death a few years ago.

A former member, long since banned, used to claim he could carry his pre-1899 revolvers.
    Somewhere on my other computer I have bookmarked a long thread in which a real lawyer just took him apart.

Hint: it may not be a "firearm", but it is a weapon. They will crush you: lock you down and crush you.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Maryland Code
    CRIMINAL LAW
    TITLE 4 - WEAPON CRIMES
    Subtitle 1 - General Provisions
    Section 4-101 - Dangerous weapons.

(ii) "Weapon" does not include:
    1. a handgun;

(c) Prohibited.-
    (1) A person may not wear or carry a dangerous weapon of any kind concealed on or about the person.

(d) Penalties.-
    (1) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 3 years or a fine not exceeding $1,000 or both.

If your defense in court is that a pre-1899 pistol is not a "handgun" or "firearm", then you screw yourself under the above law. You'll probably do prison time so that the legal system can make a very public example out of you. You'll also be permanently disqualified from owning firearms.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Legality aside, why on earth would you want to carry a flintlock pistol? You're more likely to blow your leg off with the thing than ever use it to defend yourself.

iobidder

1 point'er
    Nov 11, 2011
    Everywhere
    No - it would be considered an assault-flintlock, and only the military and police should have assault-flintlocks.

We just traded ours in for sling shots

Legality aside, why on earth would you want to carry a flintlock pistol? You're more likely to blow your leg off with the thing than ever use it to defend yourself.

Bacause there is almost nothing else to argue about

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JBIRD EST.1984

Latest threads

Top Bottom