• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Are you really making me choose only one?!

I'm down to a case or two of 5.45... could really use some more... it's a blast to shoot.

I second A81lp's offer, you are welcome to try either of my guns that shoot 5.45 and I'm sure you'll be a convert...

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    I can't argue with that, even Mikhail himself has been a pretty vocal critic of the 5.45 round. BUT, unlike it's predecessor it's got a fairly flat trajectory and is noticeably more accurate, at least out of the rifles I own. I didn't think much of it either until I shot it.

Benzman

Aug 1, 2010
    Why all of the Century Arms hate, L bought one from Lou and it shoots great. It is a Romanian folder and eveything works great. I have no problem with Century so the snobs can stop already. OK?

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    OK

IF were were to do a group buy on a AK74.....

which model???

(you guys got me thinking)

5 different guys, 5 different answers :innocent0

I have a CAI Bulgy and a Saiga home conversion. I am working on a Bulgarian home build right now. I'm very happy with both of mine, but of course the Century comes with some potential downsides. Benzman, your Romy is almost entirely built at Cugir in Romania so I don't consider it a Century build. Where people have a beef with them is their completely US-assembled rifles and lack of quality control. My CAI Bulgy shoots great but still has an unchromed US barrel which may or may not wear prematurely.

A good Bulgarian build will probably be your best bet, parts are cheap and plentiful and there are several builders producing them. There is still a supply of surplus Bulgarian barrels, just make sure your build uses one of those over US (chrome lined or not).

I prefer foreign arsenal-built rifles over US, unfortunately in the case of the 5.45s they've almost exclusively come in after the ban was lifted and are all "sporters" that need conversion. I'm sure you are familiar with the Romanians, Saiga, etc., and IMO these are the best values. Next up would be higher-end US builders and "pre-converted" Bulgy Arsenals.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Why all of the Century Arms hate, L bought one from Lou and it shoots great. It is a Romanian folder and eveything works great. I have no problem with Century so the snobs can stop already. OK?

Perhaps you can come fix the 9 out of 10 Century AK's I tested today. Only one had straight sights, in spec receivers, non binding carriers, and functioned when test fired.

Century guns are crap unless you can pick through many and test them.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Beware, you know people will complain that they can get it cheaper online, and then they will debalte if its regulated. DOnt let them get to you again my friend.

:D

Attachments

• perez-hilton1.jpg
      perez-hilton1.jpg
      48.6 KB · Views: 184

Cgoet5

Jul 20, 2010
    Harford County
    have a wasr-10 from century arms had some issues when first bought it with feeding. took some minor polishing to some burs on the reciever so the carrier would cycle smooth, works like champ ever since. next ak-47 would have to be a chinese norinco

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Beware, you know people will complain that they can get it cheaper online, and then they will debalte if its regulated. DOnt let them get to you again my friend.

LMAO. Really, come on now, at least the law is clear on the AK-74, it's regulated unless it's a sporter version as defined in MSP bulletin 96-1. What's there to debate?

Now what would REALLY be cool, and regulated, and Form 4, would be a group buy on AK-74 AOW's. That would be cool and more exciting than the Draco's.

:)

I don't argue everything to death.

Mark

FIREHAWK

SPEAK ENGLISH
    Oct 3, 2008
    TOWSON
    i have an IO and it shoots pretty sweet and accurate (:gun7: clays on the berm). it was my first fun gun and i will get a lancaster or arsenal one day but for now i love the IO. i might just buy a wood furniture kit and forget about the lancaster.

Attachments

• DSC00733.jpg
      DSC00733.jpg
      54.3 KB · Views: 136

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    i have an IO and it shoots pretty sweet and accurate (:gun7: clays on the berm). it was my first fun gun and i will get a lancaster or arsenal one day but for now i love the IO. i might just buy a wood furniture kit and forget about the lancaster.

What the other one....is that your Saiga

I decided to stick with imports but it does look nice.

cobracutter

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 6, 2009
    I have an Arsenal and a Century AK.

For the money Arsenal gives you some good quality and performance.

I don't think you could go wrong with the Arsenal.

Just a thought but, have you looked in to a 5.45x39? (AK-74)

There is lots of surplus ammo out there and they are very accurate.

Its also corrosive.what money u save will be eaten in time cleaning

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    I would avoid I.O. like the plague. Their receivers are not in spec to normal European-style receivers (1.0 standard vs. 1.1 I.O.) that could lead to interchangeability issues down the road. They are the same if not worse than Century and TGI builds as previously mentioned. The only cheap AK I would consider buying would be a WASR-10/63 that uses surplus Romanian military parts that were used on ex full-auto military AK's built at Cugir (the military gun not the WASR) with chrome-lined bores.

Benzman, your Romy is almost entirely built at Cugir in Romania so I don't consider it a Century build.

Actually starting in 2000 after Romania was caught selling AK's to unfriendly nations, the government shut down AK production at Cugir to save face and transferred production to Sadar which was already building AK's for the foreign market. However the quality was not as good as those built at Cugir whose quality also suffered after Ceaucescu's 1983 purges that included many technical experts at Cugir who knew how to build AK's well.

Sadar is know the sole producer of AK's in Romania including the WASR's. A lot of the early WASR's had problems because they were built with Sadar quality which was terrible to say the least. To put it bluntly, a Cugir rejected part was still 5 times better than a Sadar rejected part. Now with the Romanian military going away from the 7.62 AK platform as can be observed with the tons of parts kits in country, Sadar bought a lot of them as well to be built into the WASR-10/63 to help improve their image on the commercial market. This is because they were built using parts from their sister arsenal Cugir who as previously mentioned were much better at building AK's than Sadar was even with the purges done by Ceaucescu.

Information can be found here:http://www.mouseguns.com/wasrrev/review.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Imetthevarmit

Latest threads

Top Bottom