It cost my Wife and I $7626.00 to legally Carry a Handgun in 44 States!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OMD6dawg

I haven't locked down a NJ approved trainer yet but once I do I'll try to update this thread, and my NJ Carry Permit thread if the site owner Kevin helps me out.

Many of the well known ranges in NJ are really milking the new training requirement. Much has to do with the holster draw portion of the training requirement.

For example one well known range in NJ requires you to have an NRA Basic Pistol Class before you can take the Holster Draw Class. You can't take the NJ Qual or Use of Force Class without the Holster Draw Class. They expect people to take 3 Separate Classes to get "trained", instead of making it ONE Class. It's absurd.

Was your NJ Permit issued before 12/22/2022? If it was you don't have to requalify until you next permit renewal time. If it was issued after 12/22/2022 then you likely have to take the "New Training" before 10/1/2023 to remain compliant.

If you do Facebook there is a great NJ Gun Group called "New Jersey Firearms Owners Syndicate". Lots of good people there and lots of good information. It's where I stay up to date on NJ Laws.
    I didn’t need to do all that to acquire NJ. The guy at Woodstown told us that all we needed to do was have a MD Instructor put his instructor code on my application and I didn’t need to go to a NJ trainer. I applied after 4th of July and got my NJ permit (and Fid Card) in late August. It cost me $200 plus $90 for fingerprints and $50 for the fid. My trainer is my frat brother so he took care of my “training part” for me.

Waiting for NYC to fall next.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I didn’t need to do all that to acquire NJ. The guy at Woodstown told us that all we needed to do was have a MD Instructor put his instructor code on my application and I didn’t need to go to a NJ trainer. I applied after 4th of July and got my NJ permit (and Fid Card) in late August. It cost me $200 plus $90 for fingerprints and $50 for the fid. My trainer is my frat brother so he took care of my “training part” for me.

Waiting for NYC to fall next.
    You are not following what Im saying.

Failure too comply with the CCARE law will result in permit revocation.

Unless your original training meets the CCARE guidelines, it is no longer acceptable as of end of this year.

Last edited:

light12pdr

MDS Supporter
    Nov 6, 2015

Unless you're original training meets the CCARE guidelines, it is no longer acceptable as of end of this year.
    Yikes, Looks like I may be subject to those guidelines. What a bunch of crap. I sent an email to NJSP Woodstown to ask. I found info on the Vineland Police website and looking at the shooting qualifications, Thats exactly what I did in front of an NRA instructor.

If I need to requalify, where is the best place to go?

Steel Hunter

Nov 10, 2019
    Does anyone have a tally of how much it would cost to exercise 2A in all 50 states based on CCW and/or unconstitutional HQL costs? Just curious to see a "data is beautiful" plot of the cost going down over time as more states go constitutional carry.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

It cost my Wife and I Me $7626.00 to legally Carry a Handgun in 44 States!​

Oy!​

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    Does anyone have a tally of how much it would cost to exercise 2A in all 50 states based on CCW and/or unconstitutional HQL costs? Just curious to see a "data is beautiful" plot of the cost going down over time as more states go constitutional carry.
    I don't think you can get all 50 states. Isn't California in a new lawsuit about not accepting other states and not issue to non-residents?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    It's possible with a lot of money.

If you own homes in the states that I didn't get permits in, you would be eligible for a permit in those states.

Last edited:

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Yikes, Looks like I may be subject to those guidelines. What a bunch of crap. I sent an email to NJSP Woodstown to ask. I found info on the Vineland Police website and looking at the shooting qualifications, Thats exactly what I did in front of an NRA instructor.

If I need to requalify, where is the best place to go?
    If your qual didn't have holster draw and didn't cover NJ use of force law, your old training won't be valid after 12/31. The original deadline was 10/31 if I remember correctly but they extended it to 12/31.

I'm taking my updated training class on 12/30 in NJ. I'll drop off my paperwork at Woodstown Barracks on the way home, then email copies to Woodstown Barracks and NJ FIU in Trenton.

light12pdr

MDS Supporter
    Nov 6, 2015
    If your qual didn't have holster draw and didn't cover NJ use of force law, your old training won't be valid after 12/31. The original deadline was 10/31 if I remember correctly but they extended it to 12/31.

I'm taking my updated training class on 12/30 in NJ. I'll drop off my paperwork at Woodstown Barracks on the way home, then email copies to Woodstown Barracks and NJ FIU in Trenton.
    Where can a person get that training? If I get it after 12/31, do you know if they will reinstate my license?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Where can a person get that training? If I get it after 12/31, do you know if they will reinstate my license?
    I'm taking mine at range called Recoil in New Jersey. Most of the ranges in New Jersey are offering a discount for people who already have NJ permits and are trying to train for the new carry standards. The price can vary between $75 and $150.

It looks like they still have some classes available at Recoil.

The only glimmer of good news about this is if you take the training now it's still good for your next renewal.

light12pdr

MDS Supporter
    Nov 6, 2015
    I'm taking mine at range called Recoil in New Jersey. Most of the ranges in New Jersey are offering a discount for people who already have NJ permits and are trying to train for the new carry standards. The price can vary between $75 and $150.

The only glimmer of good news about this is if you take the training now it's still good for your next renewal.
    Hey, thank you so much. You are always so helpful and knowledgeable. You always share information.

I signed up for a Recoil class. I see that they dropped the 25 yard qualification shooting. That is good. I qualified the first time with a micro-compact 9mm and it was a challenge.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Hey, thank you so much. You are always so helpful and knowledgeable. You always share information.

I signed up for a Recoil class. I see that they dropped the 25 yard qualification shooting. That is good. I qualified the first time with a micro-compact 9mm and it was a challenge.
    Glad to help my friend.

The new qual should be a breeze for both of us.

OMD6dawg

Unless your original training meets the CCARE guidelines, it is no longer acceptable as of end of this year.
    I did everything you said to a TEE. The guy at Woodstown said the MD training met the requirements. Trust me, I asked several folks and I even asked him for a NJ Trainer. He told me Trenton would approve it and they did. Nowhere did I say what you originally said was wrong, I only stated what EYE was instructed to do from the Gun approval officer at the Barracks. We’ll revisit this in the beginning of the new year if they revoke a permit/fid card I‘ll more than likely never use.

NYC is the real prize, for me.

Last edited:

OMD6dawg

Never saw this post prior to posting my original post. This makes sense. I’ll follow up and check the out the place you posted about.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV

3 hours is all that's required? I thought it was 16 or something like that?

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Alot, but also worse for a MD resident due to them not reciprocating with anyone.

light12pdr

MDS Supporter
    Nov 6, 2015
    I called and spoke to the Recoil range. Very helpful. He said they don't sell ammo so you will have to bring your own. You must bring a gun the YOU own. You must draw from concealment. IWB holster is okay but it can't be appendix carry or in the rear. Holster position wise, he said they would want to see "3:30 or 3:45" position with 3:00 being ideal. Also, he mentioned that there is a form where you can list every gun you intend to carry. Yes the training is (only) 3 hours

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    3 hours is all that's required? I thought it was 16 or something like that?
    I dont believe NJ has a time requirement for the current training. They are very specific about how the qualification is conducted and mandate a Use of Force Class.

The main reason the training can run 3 hours is the holster draw requirement. They have to make sure everyone can safely draw without something bad happening.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I called and spoke to the Recoil range. Very helpful. He said they don't sell ammo so you will have to bring your own. You must bring a gun the YOU own. You must draw from concealment. IWB holster is okay but it can't be appendix carry or in the rear. Holster position wise, he said they would want to see "3:30 or 3:45" position with 3:00 being ideal. Also, he mentioned that there is a form where you can list every gun you intend to carry. Yes the training is (only) 3 hours
    I was just out to call them and see if I was prepared. I planned on bringing my own ammo, but good to know I can't buy more from them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom