• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Makarov Kid

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 7, 2012
    Commietown, Maryland
    So, I am looking for a new toy, but I am drifting away from the guns this time to a sword. I have been looking at katanas awhile now and I made my choice and I want one....of course, who makes good katanas? I am in the $100-$300 zone and I have been looking around and I spotted the Ryumon an they look pretty good. There's also Cold Steel, so who knows where to lead me in the right direction for a katana?

Laharll

Jun 23, 2011
    Pasadena
    Check out Zombie Tools. The Apokatana they sell is down right amazing and usable. Most companies make them just as show pieces. Stick with Either ZT or Cold Steel for the price and reliability.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    How tall are you? Do you have an instructor? Are you looking for traditional or modern blades? Cutting with a Katana isn't like what you see in movies.

shortround91

Mar 21, 2012
    I have several but for the $100 range if you can find mushurai model bamboo is suposed to be one of the best priced katans for the money. You get a aisi 1060 real clay tempered blade. I own a 1095 aisi folded clay temp, a T10(tool steel) clay temp, the bamboo mentioned above, ww2 japanese short sword and two mono steel aisi 1060 blades. Normally clay tempering is more expensive but it is a beautiful look. google the sword buyers guide they have great reviews for just about any price range of katana that you may be interested in. They even sell swords on there site as well. Check them out they saved me from buying a POS and who wants to do that. If you are just looking for a mono steel blade I could sell you one of my two 1060 blades just let me know and I can provide pics for the collection I have right now if you would like to see them first.

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    Besides buying a steel Katana, figure on buying --- if you haven't already --- a couple of practice wooden or hard nylon Kantanas.

PBS...sells a interesting dvd, about the history and making of a Samurai sword ---they also sell a good dvd about the making of the Viking sword.

Gunlawyer

Jan 18, 2013
    Knoxville, MD
    Problem is, with the budget you have laid out, you simply cannot purchase a quality sword. You will be able to get a crude but durable sword-like object from Cold Steel or some such though. Get some cheap beater and have fun and save up and then you can afford, eventually, a quality blade. Like cars or guns, the budget starts in the dirt and goes up into the stratosphere.

Like the poster above, you may consider the cheaper Bugei options or something from Sword Store that will be a bit more in price but will actually be something worth owning.

In the meantime, while you are saving up, here is a website you will enjoy: http://summerchild.com/summer.html

Keith has been polishing an HC L6 wak for me for over 3 years, he is that much in demand. Will post pics when it arrives, hopefully this fall.

Have fun and stay safe!

Chris

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    In the meantime, while you are saving up, here is a website you will enjoy: http://summerchild.com/summer.html

Keith has been polishing an HC L6 wak for me for over 3 years, he is that much in demand. Will post pics when it arrives, hopefully this fall.

Wow...I have held some of Big Ears' L6 blades at the NVA Swordfests as owned by the sponsoring sensei but never had the privilege myself. Here are a few of mine made by smiths you'd recognize.

Attachments

• ad_rb_daito0011.jpg
      ad_rb_daito0011.jpg
      25.2 KB · Views: 394
    • 0006.jpg
      0006.jpg
      28.6 KB · Views: 461
    • Image0015.jpg
      Image0015.jpg
      47.7 KB · Views: 449

shortround91

Mar 21, 2012
    For the best bang for the buck look for the bamboo made my rymon I think. They are 1060 aisi clay tempered and for $100 you cant beat the price.

Feb 28, 2013
    Yeah, now you're talkin my language. If I can't carry a pistol, how about one of these?

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      22.6 KB · Views: 372

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    Problem is, with the budget you have laid out, you simply cannot purchase a quality sword. You will be able to get a crude but durable sword-like object from Cold Steel or some such though. Get some cheap beater and have fun and save up and then you can afford, eventually, a quality blade. Like cars or guns, the budget starts in the dirt and goes up into the stratosphere.

Like the poster above, you may consider the cheaper Bugei options or something from Sword Store that will be a bit more in price but will actually be something worth owning.

Have fun and stay safe!

Chris

I have to call ******** on this. You do not need a multi-thousand dollar price tag to have a real sword. In fact, i bet if you had a time machine, took a cheness blade back to old japan a warrior would take it over a traditional diff hardened blade...

The whole point of the folding and hardening techniques used was to make the steel as strong as possible with the best edge you could...they did not have the ability to make the metals we can today, and those that we have today like the 9260 spring steel used by cheness is far better for a fighting weapon. Beyond that...its not like thr samuari even used their swords in combat often anyway...mostly spear and bow (just like mostly everywhere else in the world). A modern blade in the 300-500 dollar price range is one hell of a sword, mot some sword like object wall hanger...

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    I have to call ******** on this. You do not need a multi-thousand dollar price tag to have a real sword. In fact, i bet if you had a time machine, took a cheness blade back to old japan a warrior would take it over a traditional diff hardened blade...

The whole point of the folding and hardening techniques used was to make the steel as strong as possible with the best edge you could...they did not have the ability to make the metals we can today, and those that we have today like the 9260 spring steel used by cheness is far better for a fighting weapon. Beyond that...its not like thr samuari even used their swords in combat often anyway...mostly spear and bow (just like mostly everywhere else in the world). A modern blade in the 300-500 dollar price range is one hell of a sword, mot some sword like object wall hanger...

I can see how one might believe this to be the case but it is unfortunately a fallacy comparable to saying a Davis .380 is a hell of a gun a member of Delta Force might proudly select over an HK. Why specifically?

Cheness swords are decent beginners blades only after they have been properly rebuilt...and I personally have bought and completely rebuilt a half dozen of them over the years because the mounting fittings, tsuka wood, same' rayskin panels, habaki blade collars, saya sheaths, ito handle wraps, etc. are constructed of the absolutely cheapest pot metal, scrap wood, plastic, cotton "shoelace", etc. and are practically unusable as is. You would have a far more functional Cheness sword from the factory if you simply stripped the thing to a bare blade and wrapped hockey stick tape around the handle.

If you are interested in a reasonably priced beginner sword, again, go to the links I posted and select one. Cheness sword blades are made of average-to-decent modern steel but are thorough-hardened(softer and not as sharp or good at holding their edge) compared to a REAL differentially-tempered sword of better materials, craftsmanship and lineage. If you want to buy and presumably use a japanese-style sword for something besides "plinking", you need one that won't fail you or let you down when you can least afford it. I still own one today that I COMPLETELY rebuilt for the simple reason it matches another better sword I own and when I want to practice with it and cut heavier targets, I can do so w/o putting mileage on one of my expensive swords.

Your points regarding steel are only partially correct. Modern steels are as a starting point/raw material more homogeneous and "clean" than hand-smelted tamahagane but the various folding and lamination techniques used by traditional japanese sword smiths were not just intended to make steel for bar stock but to make steel sword blades that are hard and sharp where they need to be(the cutting edge) and softer and more resilient where they need to be(the spine). Making a functional sword(besides a foil, epee, etc.) that has the proper weight, balance, flex and other handling characteristics requires a little more skill than hammering out bar stock industrial steel into a familiar shape.

Again, the Cheness blades are decent for what they are but a Yugo will never tear up the Nurburgring lap time records even if you slap a turbo on it. They are simply outclassed by an astonishing margin and you are unwittingly suggesting that the artistry and expertise of a mass-produced mall kiosk portrait is somehow equivalent to that of a Van Gogh. You get what you pay for in this world most of the time and blades are no less indicative of this reality than firearms. Do you need to drop $3K-$6K on a sword to get a decent weapon? No, but you better damned well be spending more that $150-250 unless you want the sword equivalent of jams, misfires and FTEs always lurking in the wings and waiting for the most inopportune moment possible.

FWIW, here's a few old pics of the only Cheness sword I still own which started out life as a 30" Shura model before I replaced every worthless component on it. It now has a custom-fitted cured hickory tsuka, real iron and water-buffalo horn fittings and silk ito from Japan, a full same' rayskin wrap of the entire tsuka, sea snake skin reinforcements of the saya joining seams, a real smoked bamboo retention peg or mekugi, etc.

Attachments

• saya1.jpg
      saya1.jpg
      20.3 KB · Views: 211
    • DSCF6390.jpg
      DSCF6390.jpg
      22.4 KB · Views: 300
    • DSCF6395(rev 1).jpg
      DSCF6395(rev 1).jpg
      26.8 KB · Views: 252

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    POS in my estimation. Looks nice but all the twists in the metal shaft detract from the proper use of a battleaxe. Correct martial technique for a 2-handed battleaxe requires a long smooth shaft because you need to slide one hand up and down the shaft depending on whether you are attacking, parrying, or need more leverage. A one handed axe should not have a shaft longer than 24" below the head even if the wielder is some kind of 7' 300# Norseman. Regardless of what you see in the media showy custom axes would be for show not real combat. You put them on the wall and when you need one you grab the one you chop wood with. Or find yourself a really good repro of the Danish bearded axe used by both the Scandanavians and Saxons. As long as the blade is good steel and it is mounted on a haft of a wood dense enough to stop sword blades you will be as well equipped as any Viking. Nobody used a double headed or spiked axe from the ground in those days. That came when plate armour was in style later to try and punch thru the armour. However finding someone to teach you the art of the battleaxe would be hard (I'm too old).
    Even in its heyday at around the turn of the 1st millenium most used a hand axe because they could not afford a good sword. A couple of groups specialized in the long axe, the most well known were the Saxon Housecarls who formed the personal guard of the English Kings and Earls in the Viking era and the Byzantine Empire's Varangian Guard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    nexgen98

Latest threads

Top Bottom