• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    At what age would you let your child or if you were the president of a hunting club would you let a kid pick up their gun and walk out into the wood by themselves to hunt?

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    My kids did the hunter safety course at 8. That said it depends on the kid. My son about 10. You have to judge each on their maturity. My 11yr old Daughter still demands chamber checks.

243hunter

Oct 26, 2012
    Illinois
    I started hunting by myself when I was about 9, Is that too young, most likely. I think it comes down to how mature the child is, and how responsible they are. 12-14 would be more realistic in my opinion.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Received my first .22 single shot when I was 9 and I was whacking groundhogs in W.VA. by myself when I was 12.

But then again, I was taught firearm safety while I was still in the woom. As were my children.

It does depend on the child though.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    My kids did the hunter safety course at 8. That said it depends on the kid. My son about 10. You have to judge each on their maturity. My 11yr old Daughter still demands chamber checks.

What he said.. depends on maturity and how well they follow gun safety.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    I was just wondering about the legal side of things. You got to be 18 to purchase one but can be any age to walk around the woods unsupervised with one? This bring maryland and all I would figure they would have a law about this somewhere.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life

^^^This.

I was 13 when I started hunting.

My youngest son took the H.S. class at 12 or 13.
    He's now 17, and he bow hunts and also has permission (when we discuss it!) to use either one of the muzzleloaders or my 870 slug gun, and hunt on his own.

They key to the whole thing is education and how you raised the child.

hvymax hit the nail on the head with his post!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater
    I personal think it should be between 17- 18. Reason I say that is cause would you let a 12-13 year kid walk up to your gun ranger with a gun and without a parent present and just let them start shooting? I would not let something like that happen while I was there.

Yingpin

Ultimate Member
    May 31, 2013
    Kingsville, MD
    If I were the President of a Hunt Club I would be pretty concerned with the safety of the other members and would likely require the young hunter to be with another member until about 16 or 17 depending on the consensuses of the group.

Depending on how long the young hunter was a member, he may have already made a solid impression on the rest of the club and I think that would be the deciding factor. If all of the members can speak to his character then I wouldn't see an issue with maybe a little younger.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    As said before, it depends on the kids' maturity and mental capacity ( this goes for the parent as well ), which age he/she is ready to be a gun user. I was in the woods by myself with my own single shot gun at the age of 7 or 8. I grew up around hunting and guns and I was taught deep respect for them early. Some kids don't ever need to be near guns, and some kids need some serious training.

I would never push or impose a gun on any kid. Let the kid prove he/she is serious about it and let them prove the interest is there. Otherwise the Parent is basically making the kid do something they are not old enough for. Sort of like the dad who wants his kid to be a sports star when the kid prefers ballet.

If the kid has the interest, expressed interest, then do it. The younger the better. The younger they are the more they learn and the more they remember for life.

I didn't get serious about guns and hunting with my nephew until he about 10 years old. He got to the point of constantly bringing it up and hounding me about shooting and hunting. I knew at that point... he is now ready.

Just because he jumps up one day and says, "I wanna go hunting" does not mean run right out and buy the kid a gun and take him hunting.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I personal think it should be between 17- 18. Reason I say that is cause would you let a 12-13 year kid walk up to your gun ranger with a gun and without a parent present and just let them start shooting? I would not let something like that happen while I was there.

I have to disagree with that totally. Kids are teenage show-offs at that age. They are beyond teaching moral, ethics and safety. Besides at that age, if they had an honest ounce of interest in guns or hunting it would have shown itself years before.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I was just wondering about the legal side of things. You got to be 18 to purchase one but can be any age to walk around the woods unsupervised with one? This bring maryland and all I would figure they would have a law about this somewhere.

Crazy ain't it ?

My dad bought my first gun that I owned. I was killing tree rats out on the farm by myself in the woods at age 8. It sounded like this in the Winter, "Mom I'm going squirrel huntin' over behind the barn"... "Don't be too long son".

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    My family started me shooting under supervision at the farm at the age of 8. We would go hunting with my grandfather and dad at 11 and by myself at 14. This has gone down to my grand children( I have 12) so this is at least 5 generations and no problems.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    If I were the President of a Hunt Club I would be pretty concerned with the safety of the other members and would likely require the young hunter to be with another member until about 16 or 17 depending on the consensuses of the group.

Depending on how long the young hunter was a member, he may have already made a solid impression on the rest of the club and I think that would be the deciding factor. If all of the members can speak to his character then I wouldn't see an issue with maybe a little younger.

If I were the president of a hunt club I'd have to know the kid personally before I ever let him step foot in the woods by himself.

NO. WAIT... let me try this again...

If I were the president of a hunt club I'd have to know the know the kid or adult personally before I ever let him step foot in the woods by himself.

I don't give a damn how old you are. If I don't know you, or your hunting experience, you ain't a hunting with, or near, me period. Age, nor Hunter course certificate, means not a thing to me. I know guys who have been "hunting" their whole adult life and it amazes me they are not dead or haven't killed someone else.

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    Started carrying a single shot .22 hunting with my Dad when I was 6 years old. Had carried a toy gun for 2 seasons before that, to show him I understood what keeping your gun pointed in a safe direction meant. Started carrying a .44 Magnum rifle to hunt moose and caribou when I was 9, and was hunting small game by myself by the time I was 7.

But, I was born in Alaska in the 1960s, different time and a diferent place.

Kimerazor

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2011
    "FEE state"
    Regarding a young person hunting, say under 12, how do you account for some of these issues that may not have been experienced by them:
    - malfunctions
    - trespassers who end up on your property (all types)
    - dirt in end of barrel

Any other gifts from Mr. Murphy.

The opportunity to teach is missing if they are alone.

NRA Life Member
    SAF Life Member
    GRRN Supporter

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom