• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    LMAO that poor kid is going to hate life when he has to set there for hours on days and not see a single Deer. My nephew has a real impatience issue. I have taught him some patience in Deer hunting by taking my sweet time to get to the stand to pick him up at the end of hunts. He use to get very frustrated with not seeing anything for weeks. I can't imagine going in the woods and shooting a Deer in a few seconds and leaving in no time at all. well that's just no fun a'tall LOL

Someday I'll explain to him that Hunting was invented by Cavemen who had really bad marriages...

I am a kid in that regard sometimes...I don't mind sitting there but seeing NOTHING frustrates me...Ive gone out a few times and seen nothing but trees! no birds/squirrels/deer/ etc..

Ive gone out deer hunting quite a few times this year and the doe I shot was a quick afternoon/evening...I sat there maybe an hour or so which is not long and shot the doe around 645pm loaded her on the 4wheeler no tracking helped...sometimes it just happens quick!

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I am a kid in that regard sometimes...I don't mind sitting there but seeing NOTHING frustrates me...Ive gone out a few times and seen nothing but trees! no birds/squirrels/deer/ etc..

Ive gone out deer hunting quite a few times this year and the doe I shot was a quick afternoon/evening...I sat there maybe an hour or so which is not long and shot the doe around 645pm loaded her on the 4wheeler no tracking helped...sometimes it just happens quick!

Here's my Deer Hunting Ritual. Some guys will go out in the woods and set for hours and hours. They think a Deer could pass by at any time. It "could", however, I prefer to be there at the last 90 minutes of the day. Therefore I'm not setting for endless hours and I'm not getting frustrated with all the tree watching.

I go in the mornings and hunt until 9am at the latest in most cases. The Deer are more active before the Sun even thinks about coming up and they are on the prowl at the last 30 minutes of light. Given this repeated "habit" over decades of hunting I feel really sorry for those guys who set for hours and hours and then whine about not seeing anything.

Even so, I can set all I want and still not see anything for several days close enough to shoot at, but, I will tell you this fact, I see Deer EVERY TIME I go to the farm to hunt. The problem is I can not be on 4 sides of the farm at the same time and them rascal sure seem to know where I am not.

Where are all the Deer during the day ? Sleeping.

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    The mountain area I hunt has a different pattern it seems - I can see bucks and other deer anytime from sunrise until about 2:00 PM, but they don't seem to come through in the late afternoon. So, I bring my lunch and hunt from sunrise until 1 or 2, and head home. See more nice bucks during the middle of the day than other times it seems, the area I hunt must be a corridor they use to go from one area to another.

Shot this baby while still-hunting with my bow last year, at almost 12:00 sharp. 4th week in a row I'd seen a buck between 9:30 AM and 1:00 PM.

DSCN0802.jpg

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    The mountain area I hunt has a different pattern it seems - I can see bucks and other deer anytime from sunrise until about 2:00 PM, but they don't seem to come through in the late afternoon. So, I bring my lunch and hunt from sunrise until 1 or 2, and head home. See more nice bucks during the middle of the day than other times it seems, the area I hunt must be a corridor they use to go from one area to another.

Shot this baby while still-hunting with my bow last year, at almost 12:00 sharp. 4th week in a row I'd seen a buck between 9:30 AM and 1:00 PM.

I'm not that lucky to have Deer traveling all day. Every nice buck I have ever gotten has been between 5 and 15 minutes after Sunset. I don't recall ever shooting a deer in the morning. I guess if it somewhat of a Rut situation then Bucks might be traveling all day of course, but, I have simply narrowed down to best times and have pretty much stuck with that 90 minute religion. Of course the deer at my farm are so dedicated to their routines you can almost set a clock by them. Same trails everyday. Same time everyday. They are almost boring to hunt. Like being too expected. LOL

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code

DSCN0802.jpg

Nice buck!

problem is with my area theres one main road/driveway coming in...so we either have to park across the creek just off the main road then walk 100yds or so in...which is no big deal...or crash through the woods with no real benefit. Ive been patterning these deer around my property and they are there most of the night...leave around daylight and come back in around 0900 stick around for a couple hours then come back close to dusk. Which is when I shot my doe. If the neighbors are making a bunch of racket they don't come in as much which is irritating...or if idiot boy (19yr old neighbor) comes stomping through...scaring them off...:lol2::sad20:

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    When I went over to the Farm Friday to do some Crow hunting and shoot my muzzleloader, I left about 10:30am and I did see a Spike, a 4 pointer, and a Fawn when I was leaving. They were all three laying down on the hillside about 100 yards apart as I was going out of the road of the farm. This has been a common thing for as long as I can recall. The lay on the South face of the ridge and sun themselves all day. I won't say deer don't move during the day, but, the deer at the farm are just lazy asses. LOL I'm mean, it's really bad when you could just drive in and out of the road and just pluck them off one by one on the hill side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom