Learning Reloading: HOW To, What to, and What not to ...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    This is precisely why most of us refuse to purchase unsealed containers.
    Question: I purchased brand new IMR4064. I was surprised when I unscrewed the cap that there was no "peel off" membrane similar to over the counter medications. The bottle was just wide open. Is this normal?

I've already shot some of those reloads and they were fine. Just curious about the seal.

Oh my. (#5 cough, cough).

@chilipeppermaniac I have also recently joined the reloaders. Squaregrouper is right on in his responses. My reloading bench is in the garage and subject to all sorts of temperature and humidity swings. I store all of my powders and primers in the house. I purchased a 40mm grenade ammo can to store everything in. It has a watertight seal. Toss in a few desiccant packs for good measure. You can often find them locally on Facebook marketplace for reasonable prices.

I have a faux Yeti cooler with calcium chloride as a desiccant I store my bulk powder in my shed with. My theory is it will always be dry and any temperature fluctuations will be very slow.
    A sealed Yeti cooler's insulating properties are downright impressive. I have kept frozen meats rock solid frozen for 48hrs inside of them. When using one as a cooler (tailgating, camping, etc.) they are just an overpriced cooler.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    I don't recall most powder I buy having a peel off seal either for tamper evidence or preservation. Most do have something in the cap that seals to the bottle (Styrofoam like gasket). Curiously enough, powder doesn't seem to suffer too much from not being perfectly sealed up. I've heard plenty of stories about buying surplus powder in paper bags back in the day.

So yeah, probably normal.

Question: I purchased brand new IMR4064. I was surprised when I unscrewed the cap that there was no "peel off" membrane similar to over the counter medications. The bottle was just wide open. Is this normal?

I've already shot some of those reloads and they were fine. Just curious about the seal.
    There should have been a thin, styrofoam/plastic "gasket" between the lid and container. You can feel it hold vs. release when unscrewing the lid the first time. (Not unlike a gentler version of breaking the seal on a bottle of Coke- the resistance isn't strong, but clearly there before the seal is broken) I have never had a LGS question me when I loosen (not remove) the lid on a can of powder. They know what I'm doing.
    ETA- In layman's terms, a sealed container will usually have the "foam gasket" stay on the bottle, while an unsealed container will have the "foam gasket" stay in the lid. The important part is feeling the resistance midway through unscrewing the lid. The resistance is only felt before the seal is broken.

Last edited:

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    I keep powder in a large, thick wooden chest in a temperature controlled environment. I  try to keep it under 25# (I  do  keep it under 50#.)

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Best practice is to have only one container of powder and primers at a time on the loading bench.
    I absolutely follow that rule, although prior to that I screwed up a can of Unique because I started to pour Bullseye that had been in the hopper into the can of Unique. I caught it just as I started to pour, and I probably could have mixed in the very little bit that got in there with no ill effects, but I dumped the whole thing on the lawn. Fortunately that was back at a time when powder was still $15-$16 a can, and it was still fairly available, so I wasn't out too much money and I was able to replace it with another one from Bart's Sports World when it was still there.

@chilipeppermaniac I have also recently joined the reloaders. Squaregrouper is right on in his responses. My reloading bench is in the garage and subject to all sorts of temperature and humidity swings. I store all of my powders and primers in the house. I purchased a 40mm grenade ammo can to store everything in. It has a watertight seal. Toss in a few desiccant packs for good measure. You can often find them locally on Facebook marketplace for reasonable prices.

My Dad's reloading area was in the garage, and he never did anything special to store his powder - it just sat on a shelf against one wall of the garage - although the climate in SW Nebraska when I was growing up was fairly dry. It would get cold in there, although he had a gas heater stove in one corner that he'd turn up when he wanted to work out there in the winter.

Temperature swings in that garage were pretty high, although I don't think he ever turned the stove off completely in the winter - he'd keep it running on low if he wasn't in there. I imagine it would get as low as the low 40s in the winter and 90+ in the summer - it was not air conditioned.

Again, I can only ever recall him having a single can of powder that went bad.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

Ponder, you should rethink your ammo cans as storage for powder.

See the first video I posted especially at 5:40+ and/or follow squaregrouper's method, or build a wooden box, use an already built wooden crate. This is to mitigate the change of essentially a bomb going off if things ever did get HOT.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I keep powder in a large, thick wooden chest in a temperature controlled environment. I  try to keep it under 25# (I  do  keep it under 50#.)

I knew something like this would be posted. Based on my initial thought when I began to consider hand loading, I thought I would accumulate as much powder as possible and pack my brass while I could still afford to.

It wasn't until I was thinking about accumulating powder at the best prices possible before they got unobtanium, that I found out the storage limits. Seeing that it was way lower than I thought it could be, I said, "5 lbs wtf?"

Then I thought about things. If someone needed/ wanted to have more, it would be possible to keep something like <5 lbs in My house, <5 lbs at my sister's, <5 lbs at dad's ... Not that I would blow through 15 lbs that fast, but for example for any of you who may do high volume shooting and reloading and want to stay safe and within the law.

Anyone see any issues with this?

Last edited:
    Ponder, you should rethink your ammo cans as storage for powder.

See the first video I posted especially at 5:40+ and/or follow squaregrouper's method, or build a wooden box, use an already built wooden crate. This is to mitigate the change of essentially a bomb going off if things ever did get HOT.
    Calcium Chloride (CaCl2) is a very inexpensive and effective moisture absorber. It is marketed as Damp Rid for basements, but can also be bought for 1/10 the price as driveway ice melt (check the ingredients)
    The big caveat is the CaCl2 "juice" is so corrosive it makes seawater seem mild. Do not use it around metal if spilling is a reasonable concern.

Last edited:

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I knew something like this would be posted. Based on my initial thought when I began to consider hand loading, I thought I would accumulate as much powder as possible and pack my brass while I could still afford to.

It wasn't until I was thinking about accumulating powder at the best prices possible before they got unobtanium, that I found out the storage limits. Seeing that it was way lower than I thought it could be, I said, "5 lbs wtf?"

Then I thought about things. If someone needed/ wanted to have more, it would be possible to keep something like <5 lbs in My house, <5 lbs at my sister's, <5 lbs at dad's ... Not that I would blow through 15 lbs that fast, but for example for any of you who may do high volume shooting and reloading and want to stay safe and within the law.

You can keep as much powder as you want as long as it is stored in individual freedom pills.

Defense Initiative

Aug 2, 2023
    Maryland

Can you see any residue on the mouth of the container?

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I was once given an old , now passed reloaders "stuff".
    Included were 4 still sealed "Cardboard Pringles tubes" of "Unique" & "Bullseye" pistol powders.
    I have no idea when they stopped using those with the silvery-pink & silvery-orange color scheme.
    Sealed even I checked them & they were both fine.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD

Whatever makes you happy.

Personally, I don't have any relatives in this state - and I have more that 15 different powders.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I was once given an old , now passed reloaders "stuff".
    Included were 4 still sealed "Cardboard Pringles tubes" of "Unique" & "Bullseye" pistol powders.
    I have no idea when they stopped using those with the silvery-pink & silvery-orange color scheme.
    Sealed even I checked them & they were both fine.

Had the plastic pull out spout that the cap screwed on to? Are they labeled Hercules, or Alliant?

If my memory serves, those containers were around into the early to mid 1990's.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Would you believe I don't remember?
    Vaguely, a flat tin top with a smallish screw cap, no memory of a pull out anything. The "Hercules" sounds familiar.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Would you believe I don't remember?
    Vaguely, a flat tin top with a smallish screw cap, no memory of a pull out anything. The "Hercules" sounds familiar.

Here's an example of what I'm referring to. It might jog your memory.

The powder in this photo is 2400. All of the powders had different color schemes. The red ring you see atop the 2400 container actually could be grabbed to pull a plastic spout out of the top of the can. It worked well for pouring. The spout could then be pushed flat again after use. Flat with the spout pushed in is how product originally shipped, as pictured.

Alliant purchased Hercules in the mid 90's I believe. For awhile, these cardboard containers continued, but were relabeled. Later on, they did away with these containers, and Alliant transitioned to plastic.

EDIT: UNIQUE pictured below, with threaded spout pulled out of can as mentioned. Cap is missing in this example.

918-1.jpg
    Mvc-011f.jpg

Last edited:

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    That sounds about right.
    I don't remember pulling anything out but I use a powder meter so I may not have.
    The one on the right, as viewed, looks right.
    :bowdown:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom