• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Is Lee comparable to Hornady? Been thinking of pulling the trigger no pun, on a reloading kit.

I have no experience with the Hornady presses, I'm using a Lee classic turret and really like it. I've also got a Lee breech lock single stage that I've put to mostly sizing and a few odds and ends jobs. I definately like being able to have my dies already set in the turret and the ease of switching out loading for different calibers.

Patriot

Dec 31, 2011
    Harford co.
    I have no experience with the Hornady presses, I'm using a Lee classic turret and really like it. I've also got a Lee breech lock single stage that I've put to mostly sizing and a few odds and ends jobs. I definately like being able to have my dies already set in the turret and the ease of switching out loading for different calibers.

+1

I have never used any Hornady gear except for a powder trickler so I can't tell you much about them but I am very pleased with my Lee classic turret press. As Buff stated being able to easily switch between calibers by leaving the dies in the turrets is pretty sweet. Turrets themselves are less than $10(at least they were when i bought my last one 6 months ago) so its not a big deal buying 1 for each caliber. The auto indexing feature makes punching out a bunch of pistol rounds pretty fast and easy but the auto indexing feature can be easily disabled by simpling removing the rod in the center of the press. This essentially turns the press into a single stage. IMHO the Lee press is a very nice compromise between a single stage press and a progressive.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The non-Classic works fine also ( origional=cast alum , "Classic"= cast iron , ie the alum came a cpl decades first).

The LEE Turret will do anything a 3 or 4 position turret needs to do. The fantasy Turret is the Redding T-7 , but is $$ . Lot's of people love to hate the LEE Progressives , but turrets are well regarded.

Hornaday reloading equipment is good quality. Horn , RCBS , and Lyman are closely competive. LEE is very value oriented. Some of theor stuff is inovative , some is perfectably suitable at a good price , and some will probably make you wish you had the more expensive gear.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    The non-Classic works fine also ( origional=cast alum , "Classic"= cast iron , ie the alum came a cpl decades

The only thing I didn't like about the original Lee turret press was where the spent primers were disposed of, I've got my press mounted to a bench plate and the spent primers were directed into the press base and would build up between the press and the plate making it a PITA to clean up the primers. At least with the Classic they are directed thru the ram into the collection tube.:thumbsup:

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    I will also chime in to praise the Lee Classic Turret press ( also have no experience with Hornady).
    1) it is a very well made press.
    2) the turret for each caliber is the way to go. I have turrets for all of my rifle calibers and and the less fired pistol calibers such as the various .32s,45 Colt, 44 special and .44 magnum.
    3)The autoindex works well if you load that way (I don't), or it can be removed and the turret indexed manually.
    I also have the inexpensive Lee "C" press and an older Challenger which get used for other stuff.
    DocAitch

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom