• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr Oni

Military history nut
    Dec 11, 2010
    Brooklyn md.
    Maybe a Bingham?

Was not aware of those. No I remember it was a colt. Maybe it had a chamber adapter I was only 8 or 9. I do remember it saying colt it sat on his desk and we got in trouble if we touched it. I know it was a 22 because I still have the ammo for it.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yes , the Squires - Bingham was the early Sub Caliber " M-16 " ( as they called it , actual semiauto . Most commonly .22lr , but it was listed in the back of Shooters Bible and Gun Digest as also in .32acp , but I've never seen one in the wild .

In the 1980's , of if it was marked " Colt " , it was probably a standard AR-15 with a chamber adapter for .22lr .

Follow up - Was this 20 inch bbl & Fixed buttstock , or 16 inch bbl and telescoping ( " adjustable" ) buttstock ?
    If 20 inch , was it round or triangle handguards ?

SP-1 ( R 6000 ) with triangle handguards from 1964 to " mid '80s " , and used " standard mil spec pins .

Sporter ii ( R 6500) with round handguards used " large pins " . " Mid 1980s until ... .

As far as specific features there was a couple year transition period in the Sportsters . They all had large pin upper and lowet recievers and A-2 stocks . But random combinations of sights , bbl profiles , and twist rates , as Colt used up existing inventories . For example , I know one such Rifle from that era purchased new , and I know it's continous ownership since . Came from factory with Large Pins , marked Sporter , with A-1 sights . Mine from a couple year later production was A-2 , but with 1:9 twist instead of 1:7 .

Bad News - You can't legally have exactly the same gun , without moving .

Good News - You can have something reasonably close , if you are willing to squint a little bit on the details .

If Colt markings are controlling parameter , seek out a Maryland legal Colt base rifle . 16 inch versions are more common than 20 inch . Sporter Target HBAR in original configuration now have collector value in themselves
    At the recent Chantilly , I spotted one in nice condition for $1400 . Welcome to start of the $ vs exact authenticity trade offs .

Dad's was definitely a Fixed Carry Handle , and probably an A-1 , unless Dad purchased it new in late '80s , in which case it would be an A-2 .

Ask yourself now - Do you want close to back in the day , or do you prefer to have option for the various modern style optics ? Are you willing to consider a removable carry handle * Close Enough * ? Is A-2 close enough ? A-1 upper recievers are available , but the days of cheap milsurp parts are gone , and modern reproduction A-1 upper recievers are $ , as are parted out origonals .

At that point , you could add a .22lr adapter kit to the .223/ 5.56 rifle like Dad did . Traditional twist rate for .22lr is around 1:16 . Old style AR 1:12 is reasonably close enough . Modern Era 1:7 and 1:9 adapted to .22 accuracy is typically " Good enough for plinking and close range Drills " . Hence the semi popularity of Dedicated Rimfire bbls and uppers . In addition to twist rate , dedicated rimfire bbls will have an absence of gas ports , so lead deposits and other rimfire detritus entering into gas system is removed as a problem .

* I am Not a Lawyer , nor is there any relavent case law yet * . But if MSP- LD has even 1% technical knowledge , or 1% common sense , it is obvious that while wearing a bbl with an actual .22 Long Rifle chamber , the HBAR rule would Not apply . i.e. an A-1 profile 20 inch bbl with .22lr cjamber would be GTG . I'm not far enough down that rabbit hole to know if any of the usual suspects of AR component suppliers offers such as a category option , or if would be a pure custom project .

OR just buy an M&P 15-22 , or similar . and call it Good Enough.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Was not aware of those. No I remember it was a colt. Maybe it had a chamber adapter I was only 8 or 9. I do remember it saying colt it sat on his desk and we got in trouble if we touched it. I know it was a 22 because I still have the ammo for it.
    Can you convert AR-15 to shoot 22?

In short, yes, an AR platform can be converted to . 22LR. There are two ways to do so. One is to buy a conversion kit, which inserts into the 5.56 frame, fills the larger 5.56 chamber and adapts the mechanisms to the
    to the .22LR requirements. The other is to buy a .22LR upper and change out between the two.

The only noticeable difference between the two systems is a small decrease in accuracy with the conversion kit over the dedicated upper. The reason is two-fold.

First, the 5.56 upper is specifically designed for the NATO cartridge. The rifling is between 1:7 and 1:9. This imparts a huge spin rate (somewhere north of 300,00 rpm!) The bullets are designed for this kind of force.

.22 bullets, on the other hand, are designed for a barrel with a 1:16 rifling rate. The lesser mass and different shape are made for this much slower spin. Because of the much lesser spin rate, .22 bullets can be—and are—offered with either no jacket at all, or at best, a thin plating of another metal.

2ndltsdad

Nov 19, 2014
    Trappe... not Lakeside !
    Yes , the Squires - Bingham was the early Sub Caliber " M-16 " ( as they called it , actual semiauto . Most commonly .22lr , but it was listed in the back of Shooters Bible and Gun Digest as also in .32acp , but I've never seen one in the wild .

In the 1980's , of if it was marked " Colt " , it was probably a standard AR-15 with a chamber adapter for .22lr .

Follow up - Was this 20 inch bbl & Fixed buttstock , or 16 inch bbl and telescoping ( " adjustable" ) buttstock ?
    If 20 inch , was it round or triangle handguards ?

SP-1 ( R 6000 ) with triangle handguards from 1964 to " mid '80s " , and used " standard mil spec pins .

Sporter ii ( R 6500) with round handguards used " large pins " . " Mid 1980s until ... .

As far as specific features there was a couple year transition period in the Sportsters . They all had large pin upper and lowet recievers and A-2 stocks . But random combinations of sights , bbl profiles , and twist rates , as Colt used up existing inventories . For example , I know one such Rifle from that era purchased new , and I know it's continous ownership since . Came from factory with Large Pins , marked Sporter , with A-1 sights . Mine from a couple year later production was A-2 , but with 1:9 twist instead of 1:7 .

Bad News - You can't legally have exactly the same gun , without moving .

Good News - You can have something reasonably close , if you are willing to squint a little bit on the details .

If Colt markings are controlling parameter , seek out a Maryland legal Colt base rifle . 16 inch versions are more common than 20 inch . Sporter Target HBAR in original configuration now have collector value in themselves
    At the recent Chantilly , I spotted one in nice condition for $1400 . Welcome to start of the $ vs exact authenticity trade offs .

Dad's was definitely a Fixed Carry Handle , and probably an A-1 , unless Dad purchased it new in late '80s , in which case it would be an A-2 .

Ask yourself now - Do you want close to back in the day , or do you prefer to have option for the various modern style optics ? Are you willing to consider a removable carry handle * Close Enough * ? Is A-2 close enough ? A-1 upper recievers are available , but the days of cheap milsurp parts are gone , and modern reproduction A-1 upper recievers are $ , as are parted out origonals .

At that point , you could add a .22lr adapter kit to the .223/ 5.56 rifle like Dad did . Traditional twist rate for .22lr is around 1:16 . Old style AR 1:12 is reasonably close enough . Modern Era 1:7 and 1:9 adapted to .22 accuracy is typically " Good enough for plinking and close range Drills " . Hence the semi popularity of Dedicated Rimfire bbls and uppers . In addition to twist rate , dedicated rimfire bbls will have an absence of gas ports , so lead deposits and other rimfire detritus entering into gas system is removed as a problem .

* I am Not a Lawyer , nor is there any relavent case law yet * . But if MSP- LD has even 1% technical knowledge , or 1% common sense , it is obvious that while wearing a bbl with an actual .22 Long Rifle chamber , the HBAR rule would Not apply . i.e. an A-1 profile 20 inch bbl with .22lr cjamber would be GTG . I'm not far enough down that rabbit hole to know if any of the usual suspects of AR component suppliers offers such as a category option , or if would be a pure custom project .

OR just buy an M&P 15-22 , or similar . and call it Good Enough.

Mr Oni

Military history nut
    Dec 11, 2010
    Brooklyn md.
    Can you convert AR-15 to shoot 22?

In short, yes, an AR platform can be converted to . 22LR. There are two ways to do so. One is to buy a conversion kit, which inserts into the 5.56 frame, fills the larger 5.56 chamber and adapts the mechanisms to the
    to the .22LR requirements. The other is to buy a .22LR upper and change out between the two.

The only noticeable difference between the two systems is a small decrease in accuracy with the conversion kit over the dedicated upper. The reason is two-fold.

First, the 5.56 upper is specifically designed for the NATO cartridge. The rifling is between 1:7 and 1:9. This imparts a huge spin rate (somewhere north of 300,00 rpm!) The bullets are designed for this kind of force.

.22 bullets, on the other hand, are designed for a barrel with a 1:16 rifling rate. The lesser mass and different shape are made for this much slower spin. Because of the much lesser spin rate, .22 bullets can be—and are—offered with either no jacket at all, or at best, a thin plating of another metal.

Thanks for all that the only reasonable conclusion is that that was what was done to his rifle.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    IF i had an A1 20" i dont think i would use it a a .22

I hear you .

But ( at least in the earlier posts ) Mr Oni had nostalgia/ sentimental motivation to duplicate the specific configuration from his youth that his Father owned in the 1980's .

Mr Oni

Military history nut
    Dec 11, 2010
    Brooklyn md.
    I hear you .

But ( at least in the earlier posts ) Mr Oni had nostalgia/ sentimental motivation to duplicate the specific configuration from his youth that his Father owned in the 1980's .
    thats the only reason i made the post was to buy the same type of ar my dad had but I now see my memory must be flawed. I thought it was a commercially available model but appearently it must have been a chamber adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom