• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I just found a link to a study done in 2012; A cache of commonly prescribed drugs, which expired 28 to 40 years before testing, were examined to determine the remaining level of potency, if any.

The drugs were sealed in their original packaging.

It was determined that most were between 90 and 110% of the original labeled strength. The outlier was aspirin, which lost about 98% of its potency. (The silver lining is that it's easy to tell when aspirin is bad, by the smell; it smells like vinegar (acetic acid) when it breaks down. Makes sense, as it is acetylsalicylic acid).

Here's the link:

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    Most drugs are formulated as salts. Keep them dry and cool and they typically last a long time. Some of the expiration dates are due to degradation, but a lot of them are due to mold/bacteria concerns.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I keep most things other than Tylenol stored in the fridge. Heard it is the way. Did I hear correctly?

Sometimes the defrost cycles can cause issues. Long-term storage, in a cool, dark, dry place with steady temps irsprobably best. If the containers have been opened, you may be subjecting the contents to alternating warmer/cooler environment with moisture (relative humidity in unsealed bottles) content changing. That would likely encourage breakdown of contents.

It seems important to leave them in the original sealed packaging.

A good friend of mine is a Doctor of clinical pharmacology (PHd) I asked him about this back a few years ago. He said most prescribed and OTC medication is packaged for 12 months and after that many meds start losing their potency about 10% and exponentially at the same rate every year..so 10% after 24 months, 30% after 36 60% after 4 years etc..not all meds but many common ones including antibiotics. Some apparently do not last that long. He said there are ways to package many meds for longer storage however once opened they will began to degrade right away...

There are companies offering medications packaged for long term storage. Stuff from CVS or Walgreens ain't it..

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Sometimes the defrost cycles can cause issues. Long-term storage, in a cool, dark, dry place with steady temps irsprobably best. If the containers have been opened, you may be subjecting the contents to alternating warmer/cooler environment with moisture (relative humidity in unsealed bottles) content changing. That would likely encourage breakdown of contents.

It seems important to leave them in the original sealed packaging.
    ^^THIS. The enemy is humidity, heat and light. Most drugs will maintain viability if stored properly

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom