Looking for a gunsmith that can hot blue and install/headspace a Krag carbine barrel.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    I have a nice Krag saddle ring carbine that a gunsmith screwed up the barrel and sight on. After being on a LONG backorder, I was able to purchase a Critereon barrel in the white. I'm looking to get it hot blued and installed with proper headspacing. I live in northeast Maryland and would prefer the smith to be within an hour driving distance if possible. I have a message out to one gunsmith, but haven't heard back from him.

Thanks.

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    What did you do with the other screwed up barrel?
    I'm wondering how messed up it is and always looking for used Krag barrels.
    It's still on the receiver. It's really quite usable. In all honesty, most people would think it's fine. It has a slight taper to it, so it's not an original carbine barrel and it has been re-blued. It came with a band style press on front sight like a 1903. I bought a replica Krag carbine front sight for the "gunsmith" to install via a dove tail. The only problems are, the front sight was installed bubba style and there are some minor flat spots from a file in that area. The barrel has very strong rifling and shoots really well. I'm probably stupid for wanting to replace the barrel, since the front sight is the only really noticeable problem and would be an easy enough fix.

The thing is, I bought the carbine as a sporter. It wasn't a cut down full rifle, but a sporterized saddle ring carbine. I put a ton of time and work finding/replacing missing parts and hand fitting a hand guard from one made for a rifle. The butt stock had also been cut short by about .3 inches, by the previous owner, to a allow a rubber recoil pad to fit. I had to inlet the top rear edge of the stock so a steel butt plate would fit. Everything really looks good now. EXCEPT the barrel drives me crazy.

Here are some pics of the process. The top one is the way I bought it. None of these show what the "gunsmith" did to the barrel.
    KC7small.jpg

Attachments

• 03Plate1.jpg
      03Plate1.jpg
      18.5 KB · Views: 48
    • Handguard mod1.jpg
      Handguard mod1.jpg
      47.7 KB · Views: 50
    • HG Mod Rec Inlet.jpg
      HG Mod Rec Inlet.jpg
      43 KB · Views: 49
    • HG Mod sight fit.jpg
      HG Mod sight fit.jpg
      49.8 KB · Views: 50
    • IMG_0426.JPG
      IMG_0426.JPG
      73.4 KB · Views: 46
    • IMG_0429.JPG
      IMG_0429.JPG
      68.3 KB · Views: 46
    • IMG_0431.JPG
      IMG_0431.JPG
      60.2 KB · Views: 48
    • IMG_0454.JPG
      IMG_0454.JPG
      55.6 KB · Views: 50
    • IMG_0458.jpg
      IMG_0458.jpg
      193 KB · Views: 49

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    I can install the barrel and headspace for an even swap of the old barrel if the old barrel is in decent shape.
    If you want to find someone to rust blue and fit the front site post after barrel fitting I can do the barrel swap no problem.
    Its the action wrench that presents the most difficulty for most gunsmiths. maybe some of the ancillary tools like HS guages and finish reamer that's cost additive.

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    I can install the barrel and headspace for an even swap of the old barrel if the old barrel is in decent shape.
    If you want to find someone to rust blue and fit the front site post after barrel fitting I can do the barrel swap no problem.
    Its the action wrench that presents the most difficulty for most gunsmiths. maybe some of the ancillary tools like HS guages and finish reamer that's cost additive.
    That might just work. Would it be best to get the barrel blued first?

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    That might just work. Would it be best to get the barrel blued first?
    I would fit and headspace the new barrel and then find a gunsmith to install the front site and rust blue the entire action and barrel.
    Have a look at where the safety lug on the bolt meets the opposing surface of the reciever. Right above the rear top of the magazine bow rear left corner.
    You should have a couple of thousandths clearance there. Also the front of the bolt face and the safety ring that encompasses the rim of the cartridge. It shouldn't be chipped broken etc.
    If the bolt has contact at the safety lug, it only means there's some wear or it's been lapped in attempt to get the safety lug to act as a secondary lug to the bolt lug. There were those who considered that an improvement to the system for safety and accuracy etc.

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    I would fit and headspace the new barrel and then find a gunsmith to install the front site and rust blue the entire action and barrel.
    Have a look at where the safety lug on the bolt meets the opposing surface of the reciever. Right above the rear top of the magazine bow rear left corner.
    You should have a couple of thousandths clearance there. Also the front of the bolt face and the safety ring that encompasses the rim of the cartridge. It shouldn't be chipped broken etc.
    If the bolt has contact at the safety lug, it only means there's some wear or it's been lapped in attempt to get the safety lug to act as a secondary lug to the bolt lug. There were those who considered that an improvement to the system for safety and accuracy etc.
    I think the front sight I bought, that the gunsmith put on this barrel, should fit the Criterion barrel, which comes with the dovetail already cut. Of course I can't tell how much he boogered it up getting it on there. There is about 8 thousandths clearance between the bolt handle and the receiver. The bolt face looks great.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    What I do with the CBI barrels is Hi force solder a SS front site post on.
    When you fit them, you can blend the bottom of the post to the barrel contours to mimic the original post which was brazed on originally. The CBI dovetails are pretty close, dependent on the final shaping of the post. I think its because the maker needs a purchase to hold them when they're being fabricated.
    I like the Hi force 44 becuase it has superior strength and does not require the same ruinous heat that brazing does to avoid scale build up inside the bore.
    Just tin both the barrel and the post after cleaning, center the post and heat-feed the solder to get a clean line.
    How to center the post is the biggest caveat.
    Rub a pencil across anything you dont want the solder to stick to or sometimes cold bluing the area works, or chalk even.

Attachments

• IMG_0480 (2).JPG
      IMG_0480 (2).JPG
      69 KB · Views: 46
    • IMG_0433.JPG
      IMG_0433.JPG
      42.2 KB · Views: 45
    • IMG_0428.JPG
      IMG_0428.JPG
      42.1 KB · Views: 42

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    Yes, they work on Krag rifles per their website
    CMP is a great idea for the bluing and sight installation. However, I just looked and it appears my local club is no longer affiliated with CMP and according to the CMP website they only work on rifles from people who belong to affiliated clubs.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    It’s in Southern Maryland, but we work with a smith that does hot tank bluing…, just as a option.

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    I can't thank you enough for the help you gave me with my carbine. You do fine work and are full of knowledge. I'm sure our paths will cross again. You're a good man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom