• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dant98

Oct 25, 2013
    Mostly range shooting, not competitively. Although not a huge consideration, home defense. Possibly backup for hunting someday (just starting hunting).

I've shot 9mm , which a friend of mine has. I shot a .40 years ago and enjoyed it then. Also shot .40 and .45 at a club shot a few weeks back. Do like the .45, but the .40 is smooth bang for me and just a bit cheaper to shoot.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Apd09

May 30, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    My 2 cents, look around for a Sig P226 used. Find one that's in your price range and buy it. Something like this since you wanted 40 cal which is 490, http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=511532258

Then as you have extra cash pick up the exchange kits

22lr for 250
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=511495098

9mm for 300
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=511532753

357 for 320
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=510196968

It's a great way to have a bunch of different firearms on a budget. Because they all run on the same frame you just swap out the slide but if you wanted to have actual firearms this would not be route. However the advantage of this is same grip, same feel, same sight picture, multiple calibers for practice.

Just a thought, I picked up the p226 in 22lr and got the 9mm exchange kit and it's phenomenal firearm.

Sent from a galaxy far, far, away....

dant98

Oct 25, 2013
    Glock does the same thing, don't they? I can get a glock 22 and just change it the top end to shoot different calibers?
    I do like the look and feel of an external hammer though.

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    You can get a glock 22 and buy conversion barrels from lone wolf. Mine have been 100% reliable. But you have to start at .40 and go down to 9mm. Can't go from 9mm to 40.
    Don't need a whole slide.

Look in the classifieds. Sig .40 for sale. It's not mine but I have one and like it.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    Also consider just going to a shop and handling a bunch. You'll probably be able to really narrow down your options by feel. Good luck! I picked up a cz75b in 9mm a month or so ago and love the fit in my hand.

dant98

Oct 25, 2013
    I did visit a shop. They had a Taurus PT809, which is just like the 840. Felt like a good weight in my hand and comfortable grip. Also held a Ruger. I don't recall the model, but similar to a glock 22. I liked the way the slide locked back automatically, but the slide release is a bit small and was hard for me to operate. I haven't held a Springfield XD yet and didn't consider picking up a Sig as I expected it out of my price range.

Apd09

May 30, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    I did visit a shop. They had a Taurus PT809, which is just like the 840. Felt like a good weight in my hand and comfortable grip. Also held a Ruger. I don't recall the model, but similar to a glock 22. I liked the way the slide locked back automatically, but the slide release is a bit small and was hard for me to operate. I haven't held a Springfield XD yet and didn't consider picking up a Sig as I expected it out of my price range.

I have a Springfield XD 45ACP, love it. I have big hands and it's a great fit. I've found lots of pistols feel too small but the XD fits perfect.

Sent from a galaxy far, far, away....

dant98

Oct 25, 2013
    I'm also in the big hand club. Not even considering compacts because of it. I'll have to handle and XD and see. Springfield was holding a give away last month with daily prizes, but, alas, I was not among the lucky ones. FWIW, the Taurus was nice and chunky too. If anything is say the buttons had the opposite problem of the Ruger and were maybe a bit too big.

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    Big hands aren't a bad thing. Sigs, berettas, large frame glocks and springfields should all be good. Ruger makes some nice reliable pistols, just not generally considered pretty. But people feel that way about glocks too.

I have no experience with Taurus semi autos.

Not sure where you are but if you are near Carroll co we can meet up and you can fondle some of my pieces.

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    You might consider building your own Glock also. The Timberwolf frame is really nice, and then, I think you can buy any size upper in .40 or 9mm or .357SIG for it. But that frame is REALLY nice....check it out at http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Products.aspx?CAT=3168
    Replaceable grip panels like on a GEN 4, higher grip, built in Beaver tail, just a all around nicer frame, but, you would be getting just about all the best modifications right up front.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I'm in the process of shopping around for my first handgun. I haven't got a lot of handgun experience yet, but I figure I gotta start somewhere.

I've been shooting for maybe 3 years now. First purchase was a Remington 700 while I've shot at 100 and 200 yd ranges. Then I got a Benelli Nova I've used for trap shooting almost monthly since i got it last year and one pheasant hunt.

Now I'd like to expand into handguns. The best advice I think I've been given is to find a way to try as many different guns as you can, so I think heading to one of the ranges that let you pay a rental fee and swap out as many guns as you want would be best.

Who would you say has the best selection? If it helps, I'm specifically looking for something in .40 S&W. I've already shot Glock 22 and might be interested in the longer Glock 35, but I'm also want to make this purchase on the cheaper side of things ($300-$500, not $500-$800).

I'd like to try the Taurus PT840, but I don't know if any of the rental ranges will carry this.

I've been to Gilberts before, but not OnTarget. I also saw MSAR on a google search, but they're kinda out of the way for me... more in the area between DC and Baltimore or west of Baltimore as far as Fredrick.

It might have been mentions earlier in the thread, but I have to recommend Shooter's Discount in Mt. Airy. Lou has a decent selection of LE Trade In's that are very well priced. I remember when he had Glock G22 Gen 3's for 400 bucks, with tritium night sights.

dant98

Oct 25, 2013
    Ended up going kinda a different direction. Got a 1911.

Taurus PT1911FS. It was on sale from Davidson's Gallery of Guns and I bought through Fox's Firearms in Columbia. It's sorta double covered too. Taurus lifetime warranty and Davidson's also has a replacement guarantee.

In any event, it sure is pretty!

530fac21409a6689f8fb7e97033eb2b2.jpg

11d903f9e03ad29f56c0071f8265f835.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dant98

Oct 25, 2013
    Thanks, James!

I've only had a chance to clean t so far. Hope to put a few mags through tomorrow afternoon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom