• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Hopefully it is .45 caliber. i know that you can get 1911's in .40, but with the FBI switching back to 9 mm, and with being able to buy hot +P 9 mm loads that are as good as a HOT .40, between those 2 the 9 mm is the better way to go...IMHO :-). Less expensive to shoot, less recoil, less wear and tear. I bought a G22 years ago because I wanted to learn gunsmithing as a p/t job, which, I have not given up on, but equipment/tool wise can get quite expensive. And I do not care for the .40 round. For a larger caliber, I prefer my SIG P220 in .45 with the .22lr slide to help defer costs. But with Arthritis getting worse, this is getting harder to grip. I have done a grip reduction and stipple on my Glock which has helped ( and looks damn good if I say so myself :-), but, still does not feel as good as a 1911 :-).

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    It was on sale from Davidson's Gallery of Guns and I bought through Fox's Firearms in Columbia. It's sorta double covered too.

That's awfully brave of you to admit. That name is mud around these parts...

Didn't realize. I had a good experience myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fox caused lots of problems for members and also the admins + owner of the site., then was subsequently banned. The owner of Fox even filed a lawsuit against the site, after being banned, to try to force an issue. Fox lost the lawsuit. There is an internal to MDS boycott of Fox because of what they did to harm the forum.

Last edited:

dant98

Oct 25, 2013
    Wow. Sorry to hear that.

How about Baltimore's Best Pawn? I almost bought from them. Would have been the same price in the end, but although their list price was cheaper, shipping from Davidson's was double and they charged a $10 state fee.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Wow. Sorry to hear that.

How about Baltimore's Best Pawn? I almost bought from them. Would have been the same price in the end, but although their list price was cheaper, shipping from Davidson's was double and they charged a $10 state fee.

BBB is an IP here.

Buy from the IP's. They are good people and are even helping support the fight for the lawsuits and also keep the lights on for the forum.

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    I highly recommend Baltimore's best pawn. Always great service and friendly folks to talk to. Their prices are competitive with anywhere else and since it is still a pawn shop you gotta try to haggle a little

dant98

Oct 25, 2013
    Thanks all. I'll probably check them out first next time I'm in the market. They're pretty close to me.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

donw@fyi.net

Mar 20, 2014
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Hey! Don't forget wheel guns! I own a bevy of fairly high quality semis but I find myself reaching for my Ruger GP100 fairly often. Its single/double. Points really well. Never jams and has a very nice touch on single action.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    Before you do any pistol shooting... If you are a Maryland resident, Do you have your Handgun Qualification License? In not... get it first. If Yes... proceed to...

Call the Ranges which are local to you. Most will have an in house stable of rental guns. Shoot as many as you have interest in and choose a few that seem to be the best fit for you. Then reshoot those few until you make your final choice.

Here is a link to our IP section... You can find Ranges and other resources there.
    http://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106

He can still go to a range and rent a handgun and shoot before he gets the HQL. Since his intention is purchasing one, then yes, it's good to get the ball rolling.

7rip

*mostly harmless
    Jun 11, 2009
    Churchton, MD
    On Target

One note about On Target in Severn. When I went there today (10/29/2015) to rent some revolvers to try out I was told that I needed to either be with someone else or have a firearm of my own with me. It seems that someone rented a gun and once in the range tried to kill themselves with the rental. I guess they figure if you're with someone else they'd stop you(?) and/or if you already have a gun with you then you won't really need to use the range and a rental to off yourself.

It has actually been a few years since I've been to any range and this might be old news and standard policy across the board. I didn't know about it so I had to go back home to grab one of my guns and then go back.

Aside from that they seemed to have a fair selection of rentals and you can swap guns as often as you like at no extra charge.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Did you shoot that Taurus ?
    Get a few different brands of ammo. My friend had to buy a Wilson Combat mag for his to make it reliable. My Dads Ruger SR1911 was good to go

dant98

Oct 25, 2013
    Had a great time with it today. Went through a 50 round box and every round fed fine and went bang.

Only shot at 15 yards. Clearly need to work on my technique, but I think everything hit paper. Felt very good.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom