Maryland Assault Weapon Ban 2010Proposal Just Introduced (EDIT: Bill Withdrawn)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    One of my delegate responded back to be. Of course it was the only Repubican, who responded to the emails I sent to my area reps.

Dear Delegates Boteler, Bromwell, Schuler, and Senator Klausmeir,

As a registered voter and community member in legislative District 8 I respectfully ask you to vote "NO" on SB516. Please oppose all anti-gun legislation which punishes law abiding citizens who are already purchasing their guns lawfully.

Sincerely,

Consider it done! I have always been a pro gun legislator. Have a great weekend!

Del. Boteler

Trapper

I'm a member too.
    Feb 19, 2009
    Western AA county
    February 5, 2010

I received your email regarding Senate Bill 516 - the Assault Weapons Ban Bill and I appreciate your input on this issue. I feel this bill is an infringement on the rights of legal gun owners and therefore, should SB 516 come before me, I will vote against it.

Thank you for contacting me. Please let me know if I can be of help to you on any other issue.

Sincerely,

Ed Reilly
    Maryland State Senator
    Maryland District 33

Thank you for your email, I strongly oppose this bill

Mac Middleton

Got a couple responses back, do we have a list of those opposed yet?

TheTruth

Sep 19, 2006
    (sorry - I need to rant)

What a pathetic, outmoded piece of legislation. It is nothing but an ass kiss to the 1990's anti-gun liberal Clinton agenda to ban "evil looking guns" that are used well less in 1% of crimes (which all rifles are categorized in.) It might even be a tiny fraction of this overall as Mr. Novus correctly pointed out. Didn't the 10 years of the so called AWB federally show that Clinton's law was useless?

This is a useless piece of feel good legislation that will do absolutely nothing to save lives based on the real data offered in this thread. I guess it baffles me why they still insist on trying to do this and waste legislation time... but - again, look at the sponsors. Baltimore City, Montgomery and PG county "progressives" who just don't understand firearms.

Hopefully this won't even get a hearing. I would never write something like this to my senator (my letter about this was respectful), but as stated... I needed to vent.

(sorry - rant over.)

Wreckdiver - remember this is still a senate bill, it isn't in the house (yet and hopefully never will be). While contacting your delegate is good step if it gets there, don't forget to write your senator and the SJC members as well stating your opposition to this monstrosity. We have beaten this this before and I am confident we can do it again. We just can't let up!

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I've let Lennett know of my extreme displeasure - and that I'll be telling all my fellow citizens about the foolishness of an AWB. I am a district 19 voter, too.

LongTom

Jan 13, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    Ok cool cool thanks man.

So I have some time :D :party29:

You may think you have some time but political events reflect strongly on the final price of goods and services. If they know you need it NOW they'll charge for it accordingly.

If supply gets cut off politically, demand goes up exponentially - and so does desperation.

It's the same concept that last minute airline tickets have. Desperate people will be charged their firstborn child and their soul to the devil for the same ticket you paid a moderate fee for a month ago. This is also why Pre Ban grandfathered assault rifles used to sometimes be in the tens of thousands of dollars.

If this bill passes - as that date draws near, expect to pay highway robbery levels for an already expensive AR. As the last rifles are sold in the state, prices may even multiply by many times base price.

...Unless you buy one online... Even online prices can reflect MD decisions to a small degree.

Even the fact that the bill is being considered can effect prices.

Case in point - when Obama won the election, all the gun stores quickly emptied their ammo stock and prices climbed steadily. Obama has been jokingly referred to as the best firearms salesman the world has ever seen. And in a way it's true.

Last edited:

Tactical Patriot

Jan 22, 2010
    You may think you have some time but political events reflect strongly on the final price of goods and services. If they know you need it NOW they'll charge for it accordingly.

If supply gets cut off politically, demand goes up exponentially - and so does desperation.

It's the same concept that last minute airline tickets have. Desperate people will be charged their firstborn child and their soul to the devil for the same ticket you paid a moderate fee for a month ago. This is also why Pre Ban grandfathered assault rifles used to sometimes be in the tens of thousands of dollars.

If this bill passes - as that date draws near, expect to pay highway robbery levels for an already expensive AR. As the last rifles are sold in the state, prices may even multiply by many times base price.

...Unless you buy one online... Even online prices can reflect MD decisions to a small degree.

Even the fact that the bill is being considered can effect prices.

Case in point - when Obama won the election, all the gun stores quickly emptied their ammo stock and prices climbed steadily. Obama has been jokingly referred to as the best firearms salesman the world has ever seen. And in a way it's true.

Thanks for the advice.. I plan to buy one this week. I don't think supply and demand will change to much, because the bill is not nation wide. Local distributors may run low, but that's it.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    So if we include Berrett, that makes at least three MD manufacturers which will be gravely effected by this bill.

I will look up the ATF data on how many firearms they manufacture a year if I can find that page again.

Just in 2008 LWRC made 2,749 rifles and I bet every single one of them would be banned by this bill.
    Fulton (McKee I think) made 3,874 "miscellaneous" fireams in 2008 (not sure what they mean by miscellaneous).

Berretta in MD made 84,000 pistols that same year. I wonder just how many models this bill would ban and make Berretta want to move to another state so they could make them?

I will love to see the fiscal report this bill would not effect any MD manufacturers. It will seem so ridiculous in light of the truth.

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    Just in 2008 LWRC made 2,749 rifles and I bet every single one of them would be banned by this bill.
    Fulton (McKee I think) made 3,874 "miscellaneous" fireams in 2008 (not sure what they mean by miscellaneous).

Berretta in MD made 84,000 pistols that same year. I wonder just how many models this bill would ban and make Berretta want to move to another state so they could make them?

I will love to see the fiscal report this bill would not effect any MD manufacturers. It will seem so ridiculous in light of the truth.

And that does not even count all of the FFL's who made a killing since the election. I bet MD. made a bundle off that tax revenue. We should look into how much revenue the state of MD. made last year from the sale of these firearms. And how much it would impact various local businesses if this law were passes.

GBMaryland

Feb 23, 2008
    MoCo
    There are several things that really bother me about the state politicians that are proposing these bills.

Aside from the obvious intent to try to eliminate private firearm ownership, without a cause based on real data indicating that a ban is warranted...

As a life long democrat I find this whole thing fairly disturbing for several reasons:

1) These bills are pretty much being wholly proposed by Democrat party members of the State.

2) In a year where Federal elections are coming up, and the party requires as much good publicity as possible, these bills will likely cause Republicans, Independants, and, probably, a good number of Democrats to vote Republican; It may be a State issue, but the Federal elections don't happen in a vacuum...

3) Clearly, our State represenatives could care less about how this impacts other issues, such as the up coming Federal elections, local businesses within the State, the lack of a demonstrable relationship of gun ownership to crime, and the fact that personal property of a valuable nature being at risk will cause extreme ill will.

Which tells me that they are A) Self centered B) interested in their own agendas to the point of a lack of reason C) must have other non-sensical issues that we have yet to discover

I can tell you one thing:

Any member of my party that thinks I will not walk into a voting booth out of protest and vote down the line for every Republican on the ballot, needs to seriously re-examine their position on the issue.

Frosh and the rest remind me alot of Nancy Pilosi, who clearly started trying to push her extremely left wing views and agendas. Anyone willing to go that far deserves whatever fall from grace they evenutally get, and it always happens.

I'm here to tell you that if I have to walk door to door distributing fliers for the republican party (-yuk-) over this, I will.

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    Reply from Delegate Frank S. Turner:
    Thank you for contacting me concerning SB 516 - Maryland Assault Weapons Ban of 2010.

I will listen to the debate on the floor to determine my position on the bill. I will attempt to balance the constitution protection guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment and the argument presented by those individuals wishing to ban assault weapons. Once the arguments are made I will make my decision.

Hearing from you is an important part of the legislative process and I appreciate your comments and concerns for this very important issue.

Very truly yours,
    Delegate Frank S. Turner
    House Ways and Means Committee
    Chairman, Finance Resources Subcommittee
    District 13 - Howard County
    410-841-3246/301-858-3246
    Fax: 410-841-3986
    E-mail: frank.turner@house.state.md.us
    http://mlis.state.md.us/

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I will attempt to balance the constitution protection guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment and the argument presented by those individuals wishing to ban assault weapons.

Yes, because a Constitutional right should always be moderated by the roar of a special interest mob. Moron.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    And that does not even count all of the FFL's who made a killing since the election. I bet MD. made a bundle off that tax revenue. We should look into how much revenue the state of MD. made last year from the sale of these firearms. And how much it would impact various local businesses if this law were passes.
    95,191 NICS checks in MD in 2010 and I believe this includes MD regulated firearms transfers but would also include many....MANY...firearms that will be included in this ban which are not currently regulated.
    In 2008, MD had about 30,000 regulated firearms transferred, many, if not most would be banned firearms under this bill.

So to top off the loss of industry on the manufacturing end if they banned these guns, many MD dealers will be hit hard by this and run them out of business.....which is what Frosh and his cronies want of course, but it will be ridiculous if the Legislative Services claims there will be no impact on the MD economy again in their fiscal report.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    Thank you for writing to express your thoughts on gun legislation introduced during this session of the Maryland General Assembly and pending before the House Judiciary Committee, on which I sit. There are currently 12 bills related to gun owner rights and responsibilities before the committee, and likely more bills will be voted out of the Senate and then be considered by the House. There has been a great deal of interest in HB 52 and HB 207, as well as some others. I have voted in favor of HB 207 over the past several years, and it has won support in the House but has failed to pass the Senate.

As the committee receives hearing testimony and debates the various gun-related bills this year, I will keep your concerns and thoughts in mind. You can keep up to date on the status of each bill at the following website address: http://mlis.state.md.us/2010rs/subjects/guns.htm. After all have been heard and considered by the House Judiciary Committee, I will send an email explaining the final outcome.

Thank you greatly for writing and letting me know your thoughts on this important policy.

Gerron S. Levi

Maryland State Delegate (District 23A)
    Bowie, Woodmore, Lanham-Seabrook, Glenn Dale, S. Laurel
    301-858-3101
    410-841-3101

gerron.levi@house.state.md.us

I sent email to all delegates... thought this one a little different. I have received
    any from Sue Hect in 3A...I live in Frederick county.... Senator Alex Mooney is on
    our side...emailed and called last friday....

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    partyboytowsonhigh1956

Latest threads

Top Bottom