• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • imaoldcowhand

Aug 3, 2018
    (Yes, I stole the title)

How practical is a Compact Pistol, e.g. Beretta, Taurus etc.
    I know that they are just smaller versions of their big brothers, and usually some parts are not interchangeable.
    Magazines are hard to find and much more expensive. And for the round count you can get the same if not more in smaller packages like a striker fired pistol.

I'm asking because an associate offered to sell me one, but I'm not sure that it's worth the extra expenses. I'm not a collector and I don't carry, not sure that even as an compact pistol that if carried how well it would conceal.

That being said, I am intrigued by it.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I know I'm probably going against the grain here, but why buy a gun you don't need?
    spanky-surprised-header.jpg

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    I love shooting handguns, if it’s a good looking gun, decent price, shoots well, and you like it why not?

What make model is it?

beetles

MDS Supporter
    Dec 19, 2021
    (Yes, I stole the title)

How practical is a Compact Pistol, e.g. Beretta, Taurus etc.
    I know that they are just smaller versions of their big brothers, and usually some parts are not interchangeable.
    Magazines are hard to find and much more expensive. And for the round count you can get the same if not more in smaller packages like a striker fired pistol.

I'm asking because an associate offered to sell me one, but I'm not sure that it's worth the extra expenses. I'm not a collector and I don't carry, not sure that even as an compact pistol that if carried how well it would conceal.

That being said, I am intrigued by it.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any input.
    I am not even sure what "compact" means, at this point. A Glock 17 is not a compact pistol, but it is about the same size as a Walther PDP Compact Pro. Both have a similar capacity. So there's that.

It sounds like you are being offered a compact hammer-fired pistol. If it is a "compact" version of a 1911, unless you have to have the SAO design, I would say, not practical: heavy frame, low capacity. But some people swear by them and wouldn't carry anything else.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Full size, compact, sub compact.

I dunno, terrible classifications. They should all go with small, medium, and large. Micro is stupid too. Micro should just be small.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    If you don't carry I don't see any need for a compact HG. THey can't do anything better than it's larger cousins except be carried/concealed.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    If you don't carry I don't see any need for a compact HG. THey can't do anything better than it's larger cousins except be carried/concealed.
    Indeed. The larger pistol the better for the range. That's why a child's pencil is larger because it's easier to grip and handle.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    I'm so confused by OP posting. OK. Let start over. What do you have currently?

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Get it if you want it, don't get it if you don't want it. There's not a right answer here.

imaoldcowhand

Aug 3, 2018
    G8tor
    I know I'm probably going against the grain here, but why buy gun you don't need?

It's not need, just want. It would be a replacement for one that I have and don't need. And really I don't have a need for any gun.
    ------
    Gcs7th & beetles
    Being offered a Taurus PT92C, hammer fired SA/DA. I did have at one time a SS Colt Officer's Model 1911. Nice pistol, but as stated it was small and heavy
    ------
    jr88
    If you don't carry I don't see any need for a compact HG. They can't do anything better than it's larger cousins except be carried/concealed.

More logic, I can't argue with that.
    ------
    Michigander08
    I'm so confused by OP posting.
    OK. Let start over. What do you have currently?

Currently I have an S&W M&P9 Shield 1.0. I bought it used, on a whim. While never having had any FTF/FTE or any other problems with it, I find that it's just a bit small for me. Must be small for others too. I had it listed in the classifieds and didn't get a bite on it. Probably just keep anyway.
    ------
    smokey0188
    Get it if you want it, don't get it if you don't want it. There's not a right answer here.

More logic that I can't argue with.
    Not looking for right or wrong answers, just opinions
    ------

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    You mentioned Beretta and Taurus. Is this a 92 sized compact? If so, it’s still a big gun despite the name.

ETA: somehow I missed your last post. So yeah. That is a big ‘compact’.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom