• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    For me in between Frederick and Hagerstown it’s Hafers as the best with great customer service. Shopped with them since they were in the basement. Gun Center on Rosemont as the worst. Bad customer service, act like they’re doing you a favor in showing you a gun. Antietam Firearms in Funkstown is also good to deal with.

Yep, I agree. Friends and family been there. In the basement shop
    was great.
    For FFL transfers I go to Skeeters in Smithsburg.. Best $..:thumbsup:

Parry

Nov 22, 2020
    On my way out of Maryland
    I just drove two hours in the rain from Rockville to visit JLOWE's guns in Rising Sun today. You would probably think, that is far! Over 110 miles one way just to visit a gun store?

I'm used to the Montgomery County stores so that is my baseline for comparison.

When I arrived, the store had lots of activity for a weekday afternoon in my opinion. I overheard all the workers behind the counter and they actively tried to help each and every customer like they were the only one's there. Then, I finally met the man himself (JLOWE23). Nicest guy you could meet and very down to earth. He showed me the product I wanted to buy, it all looked good. A minute later, I'm filling out the necessary paperwork for the purchase. While I was waiting for the background check to clear, I browsed the other items in the store. Many of the items were on par with online, but much were actually much less than online. After I finished my purchase, driving another 2 hours in the rain to get home, the only regret I have is that I did not buy more. I can't wait until the next time I have the pleasure to shop there in person again.

I highly recommend this place. Each and every worker there was helpful with a good attitude. Maybe it's because I'm used to the my LGS's and I needed a change? Or maybe JLOWE's just does it right. Thanks John!

Trigger Time

Amazed
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 23, 2013
    I highly recommend this place. Each and every worker there was helpful with a good attitude. Maybe it's because I'm used to the my LGS's and I needed a change? Or maybe JLOWE's just does it right. Thanks John!

Glad to here, just makes me more disappointed that I didn't have the cash this week or I would have been up there myself.

Clay

Jul 22, 2021
    Vote for Duffys

They have always been a pleasure to deal with. Fair prices, knowledgeable

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    After a quick glance through the pages, I'm not seeing Fred's or MSAR. Does anyone have any heartburn with either of these two shops?

Spaceballs

Sep 7, 2022
    Pennsylvania
    Vote for Duffys

They have always been a pleasure to deal with. Fair prices, knowledgeable
    Not that I can shop there for guns anymore due to dumb federal interstate laws.. but this deserves repeating.

Duffy's was my go to when I lived in MD.

I've been back for non FFL stuff a few times. They haven't changed. I still refer my MD friends there.

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    I'm surprised I didn't hear kudos for Free State. Every time I go there (which is very rare now) they are absolutely packed.

Roksfr

Ardent Safety Training
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 14, 2020
    Southern AA
    I have had a plesant experience at the updated gun shop at Anglers Sport Center, they have really stepped up their game.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I'm surprised I didn't hear kudos for Free State. Every time I go there (which is very rare now) they are absolutely packed.
    I hated it when it first opened and I lived in Joppatown. I haven't heard much to make think their customer service has improved.

beetles

MDS Supporter
    Dec 19, 2021
    For me in between Frederick and Hagerstown it’s Hafers as the best with great customer service. Shopped with them since they were in the basement. Gun Center on Rosemont as the worst. Bad customer service, act like they’re doing you a favor in showing you a gun. Antietam Firearms in Funkstown is also good to deal with.
    Hafers has a large stock in their store, largest around WaCo and Frederick. . Antietam is great to deal with, they do Cerakoting and have other services also. I have done business with both multiple times.

TRON 2.0

Free light cycle rides
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 13, 2011
    PG county
    My only comment about MSAR is that I have been there when gang bangers have come to practice so I have stopped using the place.
    Bought my first pistol from MSAR way back in the day before they moved into the building they are in now. The prices were good and the staff was knowledgeable. Got to know some of the shop guys and ladies and shot there often. I had to stop going there because every time I went there, I had some hoodrat come rent a gun and try their hand at shooting. Their downfall was all the Groupon discounts they offered. I have had more guns aimed at me than I care to count at MSAR. Too many times did i have to take away a rental gun and give it back to the shop guys. When they moved to the new building, I did go try it out, I was happy they had some RSOs, but it was still the same crowd that didn't care about anyone else's safety.

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    I hated it when it first opened and I lived in Joppatown. I haven't heard much to make think their customer service has improved.

I've had hit and miss there, but it has been packed the handful of times I've been there the last few years. So much so, I don't even try to go there to use the range anymore.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    The “Best Gun Shop and Range” was sold off to new owners but back in the day, it was the tlts for simplifying your shooting and life

No Cell Phones - Had to Leave them in your car. No Distractions or EMI with their security system to keep you safe and secured.

Best Gun Advice - Sigs! Nothing but Sigs for Room Clearing and CBQ Tactics. Even the youngsters on the counter would tell you that want their Police Customers and Competition Team would only use Sigs especially for Room Clearing.

Don’t like Clandestine aka Chadwick - Neither did they. Hated him for no good reason so you could too. They were so classy too

And best of all, Cheesesteaks!

They knew where to get the Very Best Cheesesteaks. So Good that they couldn’t stop shoving them into their Cheesesteak Holes to even acknowledge a customer or answer a question.

Maybe sometimes to explain their No Cell Phones to a new customer between bites or gulps of soda but that was it.

Real Foodies besides Gunnies.

CaptChaos

MDS Supporter
    Mar 1, 2008
    Calvert County, MD
    After a quick glance through the pages, I'm not seeing Fred's or MSAR. Does anyone have any heartburn with either of these two shops?
    It’s been many years since I’ve been to Fred’s but I’ve never been a fan. High prices, crowded, and more than once I received an elitist attitude. I think the last time I went there was for Blackhorn 209 and they demanded more information than I gave for a wear and carry permit. I put it back on the shelf, and decided I’d spend less money on it at BassPro. Interestingly, I still have the same can.

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    Machine Gun Nest, but I go during the week because weekends are too busy. Transfers fees are reasonable.

Also the new gun shop in Frederick 2A Guns and Ammo had a lot of ammo I could not find locally. Bought a cerakoted P 365 from them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom