• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    The “Best Gun Shop and Range” was sold off to new owners but back in the day, it was the tlts for simplifying your shooting and life

No Cell Phones - Had to Leave them in your car. No Distractions or EMI with their security system to keep you safe and secured.

Best Gun Advice - Sigs! Nothing but Sigs for Room Clearing and CBQ Tactics. Even the youngsters on the counter would tell you that want their Police Customers and Competition Team would only use Sigs especially for Room Clearing.

Don’t like Clandestine aka Chadwick - Neither did they. Hated him for no good reason so you could too. They were so classy too

And best of all, Cheesesteaks!

They knew where to get the Very Best Cheesesteaks. So Good that they couldn’t stop shoving them into their Cheesesteak Holes to even acknowledge a customer or answer a question.

Maybe sometimes to explain their No Cell Phones to a new customer between bites or gulps of soda but that was it.

Real Foodies besides Gunnies.
    But you could only really be a operator with them if you brought you own Select Fire for them to finger bang.

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    It’s been many years since I’ve been to Fred’s but I’ve never been a fan. High prices, crowded, and more than once I received an elitist attitude. I think the last time I went there was for Blackhorn 209 and they demanded more information than I gave for a wear and carry permit. I put it back on the shelf, and decided I’d spend less money on it at BassPro. Interestingly, I still have the same can.
    That's unfortunate. All of the good places that people are naming are near Baltimore.

Waingro

Apr 4, 2018
    But you could only really be a operator with them if you brought you own Select Fire for them to finger bang.
    530068.jpg

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    After a quick glance through the pages, I'm not seeing Fred's or MSAR. Does anyone have any heartburn with either of these two shops?

They are what they are .

Good news , they are well stocked with accessories and supplies on the shelf .

Prices of guns run from high to higher .

Due to major foot traffic for the ranges , the staff are usually busy , and only occasionally knowledgeable .

But they do have a good variety of rental guns , for you to test drive various models you may be considering .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    That's unfortunate. All of the good places that people are naming are near Baltimore.

Not too far a drive from Waldorf , GLR Enterprise in Charlotte Hall , and JMJ Guns 5 minutes away in Mechanicsville both have good service and good prices .

CaptChaos

MDS Supporter
    Mar 1, 2008
    Calvert County, MD
    I actually wound up stopping in there today. As mentioned above, they are well stocked with guns and all kinds of accessories. Prices are still high for guns, ammo prices were between high and tolerable. I saw 9mm brass Blazer for 30 cents per round before tax (bought it online recently for 28.5 cpr shipped). They had tons of guns for rent which is great if you wanna try out before you buy.

It was a little hard to see but they seemed well stocked on compact and micro compact guns, I saw some Glock 43s and P365s, but again prices were high. The P365 was $600. I heard a guy at the counter looking at something else (a Canik maybe?) saying he saw it for $150-200 lower online.

PSG Armory is a nice little store (IP here) with very knowledgeable guys who want to help. Prices a little high but they have a decent stock of compact and micro compacts to look at. The P365 was $569. LCP 9 Max was $399.

There are a few FFLs in Calvert that operate out of their homes. One is 10X Firearms (www.10xfirearms.com) which has great prices for everything I checked. P365 is $499. LCP Max was $373.

Last edited:

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I've had hit and miss there, but it has been packed the handful of times I've been there the last few years. So much so, I don't even try to go there to use the range anymore.
    I'd say that's fair. It was the badly managed crowds that stand out in my mind. I remember being really annoyed by the fact that there seemed to be no good system for getting counter help. They needed a sign in sheet or something so people got helped in the order they actually arrived.

Aug 5, 2022
    Upperco
    I'd definitely recommend checking out Duffy's if in the area. Purchased a DDM4V7 from them a few months ago, and it was a pleasant and stress free experience. It was my first purchase from them, and surely not the last. Spent about a half hour with the paperwork and the background check, all went smooth. I definitely recommend their shop, plus the drive through the backroads of the rural areas is relaxing.

SouthCo

Nov 20, 2012
    PSG Armory in Northern Calvert County seems like a good one. I was in there yesterday and met Eliott, aka Panda, and he was a friendly guy. The had quite a bit of inventory. Prices a tad bit higher than online, but buying online you have to consider the cost of shipping and FFL transfer fees so their prices looked good to me.

I've only been to MSAR a few times recently to use the range and had no issues but I go early. I can't speak to their prices or customer service in the gun shop because they had very limited inventory and nothing interested me enough to look at prices.

Last edited:

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I'd definitely recommend checking out Duffy's if in the area. Purchased a DDM4V7 from them a few months ago, and it was a pleasant and stress free experience. It was my first purchase from them, and surely not the last. Spent about a half hour with the paperwork and the background check, all went smooth. I definitely recommend their shop, plus the drive through the backroads of the rural areas is relaxing.
    I like Duffys

They are expensive though

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I like Duffys

They are expensive though
    In general I agree. I bought a little Walther .22 there at a REALLY good price, so don't avoid going there on that reputation. I had stopped in looking for something less common that I might have bought at their regular mark up and saw the Walther and bought it on a whim.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    After a quick glance through the pages, I'm not seeing Fred's or MSAR. Does anyone have any heartburn with either of these two shops?
    Those are the 2 closest ranges to Me/Wife, the next closest ranges are an additional 40 min drive.

That said,, we don't even consider either an option.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    PSG Armory in Northern Calvert County seems like a good one. I was in there yesterday and met Elliot, aka Panda, and he was a friendly guy. The had quite a bit of inventory. Prices a tad bit higher than online, but buying online you have to consider the cost of shipping and FFL transfer fees so their prices looked good to me.

I've only been to MSAR a few times recently to use the range and had no issues but I go early. I can't speak to their prices or customer service in the gun shop because they had very limited inventory and nothing interested me enough to look at prices.
    I would have to disagree on PSG Armory prices, They are equal or lower than online prices on the 3 items I looked at/bought.

1000 rnd case brass 9mm 115 (norma) - $310
    Holosun 507K grn - $319
    New Marlin S.S. 45-70 Trapper - $1249

They where friendly and helpful with all my questions

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Those are the 2 closest ranges to Me/Wife, the next closest ranges are an additional 40 min drive.

. Well , this thread was about * Gun Shops * per se , and not about ranges .

A gun shop attached to a range is a different sub category . They have a large captive audience , and greater % of muggle customers . Likely to have a larger selection of holsters and carry gear , and big sellection of cleaning supplies .

Gun prices will be what market will bear . Ammo Selection will be large , stacks will be deep of the common range loads , and prices will be semi high to high . Even when using their ammo isn't explicitly required , the majority of range users will buy there - shoot it there .

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JBIRD EST.1984

Latest threads

Top Bottom