• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Emergencies happen and you're likely to be the first responder for either yourself or people near you. If someone is injured, do you know how to respond to a variety of injuries? Burns? Life threatening bleeds? Broken/dislocated bones/joints? airway issues? Do you know how to give narcan and have you picked it up yet?

So my intent for this thread is to post up training videos you animals think are valuable along with some medical gear you think is useful. I'll kick it off with a couple random training videos and then share a couple of the med kit bags I have in various places. I welcome feedback and more input for those that want to share.

general response to a gunshot wound(the steps could be followed in many emergencies)

Stop the bleed direct pressure, tourniquet use(cat gen 7), and packing a wound.

Airway control

vented chest seal application

burns

Splinting orthopedic trauma

hands only cpr

choking infant

kid choking

unconscious kid choking

Last edited:

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    med kit stuff

I've got three main med kits. My backpack, car, and school ones. My backpack one is supplemented by a couple extra TQs in the side pouches of my pack, some celox gauze in the side-pocket, and some easy-to-reach bandaids for booboos in the top front pouches. I've also got a iiia panel in the backpack, cause why not.

20210517_225648.jpg
    20210517_225944.jpg

The backpack kit has benadryl, powdered aspirin, eye drops, eye wash, cortizone cream, triple antibiotic, a bunch of different bandaids, steri-strips, rolled gauze, some sponges, nonstick pads, vented chest seals, emergency blanket, some different kinds of medical tape, shears, a SWAT, a CAT gen7, and pain-killing wound-wash. It's the general kit that takes care of the majority of stuff we get ourselves into.

The car-kit is a ems innovations 5 patient trauma kit....
    20210517_230401.jpg
    https://store.emsinnovations.com/p-18-5-patient-trauma-kit.aspx
    The stuff in there stores well and treats a lot of stuff. Whenever I am in my car, my backpack is in there with me, so everything in this kit supplements my packpack kit above.

My school bag is set up to be able to treat a wider variety of things and more people. If I'm at school, my backpack is there next to me, my car-kit is in the parking lot, and this big blue kit is in my office. It's got a few more tourniquets along with a bunch of other stuff like burn gear, ice packs, and some communication things for emergency response scenarios. I also set up a general med kit in one end of it that I can grab and toss to another adult to help me taking care of kids if I need to. We of course have the nurse down the hallway, bleed control kits, AEDs, and more accessible, but I like having a bunch of stuff immediately accessible within seconds of something happening.
    20201001_103010 (1).jpg

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    Respond to many many medical emergencies. As James Yager says, ya know what hasn't went up in this panic, medical and trauma supplies.

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    I only have an individual first aid kit they gave me at a first aid class, but I'm otherwise unqualified to render anything more than first aid to someone during an emergency. It's good there are others out there who are qualified.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Narcan severely interferes with a self-correcting problem. It is one of mankind’s worst inventions and no one should carry it unless forced to by their employer.

I understand the sentiment (a bit) and I am anything but a supporter of unlicensed phramisists and self medication... but I'm not prepared to sit back and watch someone's child die while I do nothing. Narcan can be very effective in saving a life from an overdose. Politics shouldn't enter into life saving first response, IMHO.

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    Narcan severely interferes with a self-correcting problem. It is one of mankind’s worst inventions and no one should carry it unless forced to by their employer.

That’s an incredibly short sighted view. Any idea how many first responders get exposed to fentanyl? Should they die? How about a child that gets into their careless parents meds? Yep, they should die too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

I hope you've got another reason for saying this besides "f-em, let them die". That would be a solid dick-move. Here is a fatal dose of carfentanil. We got trained in school for it because kids and other innocent people have overdosed by just having it on their clothes.

You either value life and recognize its sanctity or you don't. If someone is in trouble and you have the ability to help, you should. I know a lot of people that are struggling with addiction, that have overcome it and are leading great lives, and also many that have died as a result. I hope you sit back and think for a moment about your comment and reflect on if that's the way you would like to conduct yourself.

Attachments

• 637014879571000000.jpg
      637014879571000000.jpg
      95.3 KB · Views: 263

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    I hate first aid. I'm a firm believer that humans are squishy bags of icky goo and that all fluids and organs should remain inside the skin.

I reluctantly accept the reality that first aid is very important. I keep several IFAK's around. I'm heading out on a very long, solo sailing trip where I'll be my own medical help.
    I'm not that squeamish about working on my own boo-boo's but I dread the day where I have to set someone else's compound fracture or sucking chest wound.

I grew up on nuclear submarines where our only medical resource was a Navy corpsman, which I (jokingly) put on par with Civil War doctors, voodoo shamans and bleeding with leeches. The entire crew *knew* that you just didn't want "Doc" cutting on you in an emergency, so we all took great care not to be injured while we were out at sea.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Interesting, I didn't realize this was a thing. Next training session is this Thursday, I've got a game or I would jump on it.

Do other counties do this as well?

I think they do. Just google your county health department and "narcan"

Patriot

Dec 31, 2011
    Harford co.
    Yup. Interesting thing mentioned in the training. They said be prepared for a fight after saving someone's life that overdosed. They said that it's common for the person that overdosed to get mad at you for taking their high away(that they paid hard-earned money for), and that they'll become belligerent to the person that gave them narcan.

Having given narcan a few dozen times and been involved in at least 100 cases where it was administered, I have found it to be extremely uncommon but it has happened. The more common thing is for the individual to be panicked and disoriented similar to some people coming out of a seizure.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Having given narcan a few dozen times and been involved in at least 100 cases where it was administered, I have found it to be extremely uncommon but it has happened. The more common thing is for the individual to be panicked and disoriented similar to some people coming out of a seizure.

:thumbsup: Good to know. The lady running the last training may have had a recent event or something causing her to drive that point home harder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom