• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    For it to be legal in MD, it has to be rated by the manufacture at over 1200 Ft/LB
    I am "guessing" that is "Close to 1100-1200 with a 16.5 barrel.
    Are you sure or am I missing something?

Can you hunt with a pistol in MD?

Handgun Regulations

Any modern handgun used for deer and bear hunting must have a barrel length of 6 inches or more and use ammunition which produces a muzzle energy of 700 foot-pounds or more. Muzzleloading handguns (both single shot and revolvers) may be used to hunt deer in all counties.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    And for those of us that stocked up on a certain hunting cartridge when it was on sale....SUCKS TO BE US! Now our stockpile is worthless and we have to buy new ammo at 5x the cost.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    And for those of us that stocked up on a certain hunting cartridge when it was on sale....SUCKS TO BE US! Now our stockpile is worthless and we have to buy new ammo at 5x the cost.
    So what a ban on particular ammo type really does,is reduce the amount and type of firearms than are annually fielded.
    I’m not so certain that manufacturers disagree with proposals like this.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019

Handgun Regulations

Any modern handgun used for deer and bear hunting must have a barrel length of 6 inches or more and use ammunition which produces a muzzle energy of 700 foot-pounds or more. Muzzleloading handguns (both single shot and revolvers) may be used to hunt deer in all counties.
    MD DNR Hunting guide, page 30

dnr rifle reg.JPG

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    This last month I sat down and figured out what HP sub sonic ammo my 10/22 and Marlin 39D like,, and ordered 4000 rounds.
    I ordered 2 cases of 20ga slugs for my H&R for fear they would be discontinued.,,
    I picked up a Henry 44mag lever gun,, and about $300 worth of various ammo to start sighting it in, seeing what groups.

I will be hunting with lead based ammo for the foreseeable future.

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    Trying to keep up with all the anti 2A and anti hunting legislation is a friggin full time job.

Anyhow,
    I have done a little redneck research and put it down on paper,, nothing that is ready to submit, but will give one a general idea of what direction to go with written/oral testimony.

The overview is,, there is zero studies in MD showing lead poisoning or contamination from deer or small game hunting.
    The legislators submitting this legislation could not offer any documentation from MD or in the entire US showing an issue.
    There are NO viable alternative (lead free) ammo for heavy slow moving slugs, SWC or rimfire 22.

There is no MD legal alternative for those who recently purchased some SWC rifles (357, 44).

The few alternatives that do exist across the spectrum are very limited in availability, expensive AND more important, very ineffective compared to lead based ammo.

Oral testimony is limited to 2 minutes,, each person will only be able to get 1 point across.
    Anyone interested in Oral testimony, PM me so we can coordinate, to cover all topics.

Attachments

• Senate Bill to ban hunting with lead ammo.pdf
      96.8 KB · Views: 23
    • 22 Rimfire lead vs copper.pdf
      142.6 KB · Views: 27
    • How-to-Submit-Testimony.pdf
      359.6 KB · Views: 30
    • CCI 22b.JPG
      CCI 22b.JPG
      60.7 KB · Views: 35
    • CCI 22c.JPG
      CCI 22c.JPG
      154.9 KB · Views: 36

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    So after some conversing with the "Anti-Hunters" pushing this ban,, the big golden goose is that Eagles and Predators could be poisoned by the carcasses left by hunters and their exploding lead bullets.
    When reminded that this is not elk hunting in Montana, we don't leave carcasses, they said "Gut piles"

So we bury the gut piles, problem solved :)

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    Now I see this is cross filed to the house as HB1473. Can't find a hearing date in Rules and Executive Nominations Committee. Stewart sponsoring out of Montgomery county.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Now I see this is cross filed to the house as HB1473. Can't find a hearing date in Rules and Executive Nominations Committee. Stewart sponsoring out of Montgomery county.
    Rules and Exec Noms is the committee to decide if it should go to the actual committee to be heard or not. Feb 9 was the last day to introduce a bill have it actually heard in committee. After that date it goes to the rules committee for them to decide if ti gets a hearing or not. If it doesn't get assigned, then it is dead right there.

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    Rules and Exec Noms is the committee to decide if it should go to the actual committee to be heard or not. Feb 9 was the last day to introduce a bill have it actually heard in committee. After that date it goes to the rules committee for them to decide if ti gets a hearing or not. If it doesn't get assigned, then it is dead right there.
    OK makes sense now (at least as much sense as one can find in the MGA). Thanks for the clarification, one certainly hopes it goes no further.

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    Remember, it is incremental.
    Once they ban lead ammo for hunting,, the following year they will ban it for state owned ranges,
    Then private ranges, etc.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    If required to use , the supply in the nationwide supply pipeline would be quickly exhausted .
    That's probably the intention.
    Gun grabbers approach hunters differently than patriots. By the time hunters realize their rights are in jeopardy, it'll all be over.

Coehorn

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2024
    Baltimore County
    The odd thing about this lead ban for hunting is that the MGA must know that Maryland just instituted a new three day long primitive season. The primitive season encompasses sidelock firearms only.

These mid 19th century and earlier percussion and flintlock firearms with rifled barrels won't operate without lead balls. The projectile must be soft enough that the rifling will be impressed into the lead.

This impression will not happen with steel, copper, hard alloys, etc. Some newer Hawken style rifles with a 1:48 twist and faster can get away with a lead-free projectile in a plastic sabot. But the 1:66 twist long rifles MUST use lead balls due to stabilization issues with sabots. The 1:66ers were designed with round balls in mind. Because that's all they had 200 years ago.

A lead for hunting ban will destroy the primitive hunting season. Not to mention the added cost of shooting solid copper bullets in all manner of modern firearms.

As many of you have already pointed out, this about making shooting in Maryland cost prohibitive. The whole saving the planet, tree huggers unite, nonsense is just that.

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    I probably should not be surprised (I am kinda but I shouldn't be) but every time I tell people I know are hunters about this they have no idea. Maybe if we who know about this tell more about it, it may help. I know, dreaming...

Doctortoxic

The Dose Makes The Poison
    Apr 18, 2019
    CalvinBallistan
    The odd thing about this lead ban for hunting is that the MGA must know that Maryland just instituted a new three day long primitive season. The primitive season encompasses sidelock firearms only.

These mid 19th century and earlier percussion and flintlock firearms with rifled barrels won't operate without lead balls. The projectile must be soft enough that the rifling will be impressed into the lead.

This impression will not happen with steel, copper, hard alloys, etc. Some newer Hawken style rifles with a 1:48 twist and faster can get away with a lead-free projectile in a plastic sabot. But the 1:66 twist long rifles MUST use lead balls due to stabilization issues with sabots. The 1:66ers were designed with round balls in mind. Because that's all they had 200 years ago.

A lead for hunting ban will destroy the primitive hunting season. Not to mention the added cost of shooting solid copper bullets in all manner of modern firearms.

As many of you have already pointed out, this about making shooting in Maryland cost prohibitive. The whole saving the planet, tree huggers unite, nonsense is just that.
    That’s a feature not a bug.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    The odd thing about this lead ban for hunting is that the MGA must know that Maryland just instituted a new three day long primitive season.
    Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Sure they do :sarcasm:

The primitive season encompasses sidelock firearms only.

The MGA Does Not Care.......

Again, the MGA Does Not Care.....

Let me say it again, the MGA Does Not Care.....

So, do you think the MGA really cares?????

Handgun Regulations

The regulation is just another ridiculous Maryland gun law. 1200 fpe for long guns. 700 for handguns, 400 for airguns and around 30 for archery..

So if i use my G20 with a 6 inch barrel i can get just over 700 and be legal. If i use the same ammo out of a 16 inch 10mm carbine i can't get 1200 but it's more than 700 but it's illegal..

Just another law to ignore as far as im concerned..

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom