• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    I plan on bringing it to the shoot this weekend......already told Alucard I would be bugging him to help me accomplish getting it zero'd.....poor guy.

I'll have my MkII BTVXP (Dick's special) this weekend too. Its a sweet little shooter, and can be relied upon to turn in around 1/2" @ 50yds with the right ammo. Look me up and I'll give you a box of SK Std+ to try out in yours.

hughmon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2008
    You are going to love shooting that rifle. I have one that I bought recently, but it is the blued version.

Its a sweet-shooting accurate rifle. A joy to shoot, and affordable to shoot as well.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Savages are fabulous rifles, mine is a 93V17 which shoots like a dream. Only thing I dont like are their semi automatic .22s have a miserable hard to load key shape mag, fortunately the bolts use another mag style.

When it comes to bolt action rifles I dont know of another choice short of a CZ.

Enjoy!

Aug 2, 2007
    Harford County
    anything furter than that, and the bullet is likely to just bounce off anything that you are trying to hit.

Don't be too sure of that my friend...

From: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=539949&page=1

After shooting the 300 yards and taking back the target to the Jeep, we realized that one round had gone through the whole turkey, the clothing layers in the front AND the layers in the back as well!!!!!!!!!! And this had to occur between 250 yards and 300 yards. This was MUCH MORE than I ever had anticipated for the standard velocity 22LR round!!!!!!!!!!

Not only that but because the clothing was wrapped around and folded/taped in the back, it was the equivalent of shooting through 3 layers of clothing in the front and 6 LAYERS of clothing in the back plus on layer of duct tape!

Oh and Houndkeeper, GREAT CHOICE in rifles! The Savage BV series is FANTASTIC. It is insanely accurate for an off-the-shelf, affordable rimfire. I have easily put down sub-MOA groups (averaging ~.4"-.5") at 100 yards with mine.

You might want to consider upgrading the optics. The scope that comes with the package is pretty crappy at best. Not saying it won't do the job for hitting stuff at 100 yards or less, but these rifles beg for a decent optic. I have no problems hitting a soda can at 200 yards and I wouldn't doubt that I could push it past 300 with some more practice. Believe me, the BV series is boringly accurate at 100 yards... you will eventually want to push it further and you'll want decent optics.

The guys over at Sniper's Hide also have much love for the Savage:

Mark II FV Trainer:
    http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=693727#Post693727

EGW Scope Bases (I have also had my factory bases come loose even with Red LocTite, I definitely recommend these bases)
    http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=699540#Post699540

Another MkII:
    http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=756128#Post756128

Opinions on "the best" precision .22LR:
    http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=709814#Post709814

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I shot a few groundhogs in upstate NY when I was in high school with a Marlin mod 60, Marked range flags out to 300yds in the field, and even hit a couple at 200 or so yards, even COM shots didn't penetrate, or put them down, supposedly a 40gr CCI mini mag would be doing something around 800FPS at 200 yards, still enough to kill something technically, but hell if I could kill anything wih it. Within 50-100 yards, they would drop with a head shot, or run about 10 feet and drop with a COM shot. I did manage to hit one in the head at about 250yds, thought it dropped, walked out to it, and the lil'bastard got up and started to run, I shot it from close range, and found the first 200yd shot bounced right off it's head, and just knocked it out. The other problem is that with so much as a breeze, a 22 gets blown around enough to be about impossible to hit something that far out, but that is when my uncle introduced me to his 22-250, and the problem was solved:D

Aug 2, 2007
    Harford County
    That might be a little challenging tomorrow with the weather forecast calling for 15-30mph northerlies.

What ammo does yours prefer?

Graham

It groups absolute best with Eley Club Xtra and that's what I like to use for longer range shooting. Anything that's not subsonic to start will have a lot of fliers once I get past ~150 yards. I have had the best luck with Eley Club Xtra, Remington Target, and Wolf Match Target. I have tried LOTS of different ammo and these three stand out by far as being the most consistent.

And I probably shouldn't have said "easily" with the sub-MOA groups. Most 3 round groups are about .7"-.8" at 100, but breaking 1/2 MOA isn't uncommon at all (probably one out of every three groups or so).

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I love my 93R17. If I ever buy another .22 rifle (other than the GSG-5) it will be a Savage for sure. The trigger is sweet!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom