• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Zeroing.

We used to shoot on the 900 inch, 25 yard, line to zero our M-16's. When we moved over to the 200 yard line we had a 200 yard zero.

Well actually , close zero @ 25 would be +/- 300 far zero . zero @ 50 , would be 200 also
    But yeah , that's the concept .

In general , with real rifle @ 25yds , you're function testing , and practicing your standing form .

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    The first time I ever went to a range, I rented a gun from them and bought some of their ammo to go shoot at their range. I had a ton of trouble loading the rounds into the chamber so I could fire it. I went to find an employee for help and it turns out they sold me the wrong sized ammunition for the gun I rented. Thankfully, it was too big (rather than too small) so didn't fit into the chamber.

Of course they started screaming at me for being dumb. I pointed out to them that I rented the gun from their employee and bought the ammunition for it from the same person. They shut up pretty quickly.

Those first time life lessons stick with you.

NO JOKE

Way back when Bollingers held their Guns and Grub cook outs and shoots, Bobby had a guy there that was a "police firearms instructor" supposedly. The way the range was, they did rifle shooting for a while at a distance, 75-100yds, then range went cold, and people went up to the steel gongs closer up for pistol shooting, and no rifle shooting. I guess the rule was you could carry pistols in holsters, and rifles on slings, but no magazine was to be in the weapon until ready to shoot. Problem was, I brought my SKS, which has, a fixed magazine. I had the bolt open, slung on my shoulder, muzzle up and chamber flagged. I walked up to the rifle bench to shoot, and the "police firearms instructor" had a fit and yelled about my carrying the rifle with the mag in it. Now, nothing I was saying was going to make it any better, so I just shook my head.

It gets better. We transition to the pistol range, and he's going on about how you need to be able to trust your pistol. You need to be able to throw it down, in the dirt, kick it around, and trust it will be able to fire. I was NOT doing that with my brand new CZ75. And I trust it. Then he proceeds to tell everyone how elite he was, and he, and his people are so good they can stand downrange and shoot targets out of their hands. He asked something like, if we knew how dangerous that was, and the guy next to me mumbled, "Almost as dangerous as carrying a SKS".

PLEASE, for the love of God, tell me someone here attended that, and remembers it. Bollingers had a few Guns and Grubs meets, which I really did enjoy, and they did post pics here a long time ago, but I think they're gone now. But, it was announced here on MDS, so I hope someone here remembers it.
    I was there. My buddy's MG42 malfunctioned (in a fun way) that day. I'm pretty sure it was the same day as the .50BMG met a HUGE clump of Tannerite.
    I'm also pretty sure the guy and his peeps did a "Tacticool" shooting demonstration for everyone in attendance.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I was there. My buddy's MG42 malfunctioned (in a fun way) that day. I'm pretty sure it was the same day as the .50BMG met a HUGE clump of Tannerite.
    I'm also pretty sure the guy and his peeps did a "Tacticool" shooting demonstration for everyone in attendance.
    Did they shoot a washer or dryer with tannerite in it?

When I went to the pistol line I told Officer Tacticool I should be on the far right of the line because of my pistol. He yelled at me- not understanding that a CZ82 launches brass into the next zip code unless there is someone there to get hit by it.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    I was at Cindy's the other morning (super nice place and staff, BTW) and overheard half of a phone conversation with an employee and some random caller. The caller wanted to know if he/she would be allowed to shoot in the prone position. Most of the staff, as well as those of us waiting for lanes were amused and surprised that anybody would even think about laying on the floor to shoot at a 25 yard target. Especially with the knowledge of what was likely on that floor after tens of thousands of rounds.

I then informed him that I was carrying my g26 in an IWB holster and I’m just exercising my new rights.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    NO JOKE

Way back when Bollingers held their Guns and Grub cook outs and shoots, Bobby had a guy there that was a "police firearms instructor" supposedly. The way the range was, they did rifle shooting for a while at a distance, 75-100yds, then range went cold, and people went up to the steel gongs closer up for pistol shooting, and no rifle shooting. I guess the rule was you could carry pistols in holsters, and rifles on slings, but no magazine was to be in the weapon until ready to shoot. Problem was, I brought my SKS, which has, a fixed magazine. I had the bolt open, slung on my shoulder, muzzle up and chamber flagged. I walked up to the rifle bench to shoot, and the "police firearms instructor" had a fit and yelled about my carrying the rifle with the mag in it. Now, nothing I was saying was going to make it any better, so I just shook my head.

It gets better. We transition to the pistol range, and he's going on about how you need to be able to trust your pistol. You need to be able to throw it down, in the dirt, kick it around, and trust it will be able to fire. I was NOT doing that with my brand new CZ75. And I trust it. Then he proceeds to tell everyone how elite he was, and he, and his people are so good they can stand downrange and shoot targets out of their hands. He asked something like, if we knew how dangerous that was, and the guy next to me mumbled, "Almost as dangerous as carrying a SKS".

PLEASE, for the love of God, tell me someone here attended that, and remembers it. Bollingers had a few Guns and Grubs meets, which I really did enjoy, and they did post pics here a long time ago, but I think they're gone now. But, it was announced here on MDS, so I hope someone here remembers it.
    I wasnt there, but I was in his shop one day and he pulled a 22 rifle off the rack that he just worked on to show it off. When he handed it to me I checked to make sure it was clear and sure enough, there was a live round in the chamber. I’m fairly certain that was the last time I went there.

wquick155

Sep 3, 2022
    crownsville
    I was at Cindy's the other morning (super nice place and staff, BTW) and overheard half of a phone conversation with an employee and some random caller. The caller wanted to know if he/she would be allowed to shoot in the prone position. Most of the staff, as well as those of us waiting for lanes were amused and surprised that anybody would even think about laying on the floor to shoot at a 25 yard target. Especially with the knowledge of what was likely on that floor after tens of thousands of rounds.
    I was the one who took that call at Cindy’s. We get that request every so often and the only reason we don’t allow it is that our target boards sit too high and the angle of the shot; especially at a close distance would cause baffles to be shot. We do mop the floor with de-lead floor cleaner almost weekly although towards the end of the week I wouldn’t want to get down on the floors.

Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore
    Rifle indoors? Like a Mosin carbine with full power loads flinging a ball of fire after the bullet on a dimly lit range?

I didn't see it, only heard it, and decided it was time to go somewhere else. It's a little hard to focus on Bullseye shooting...lol.

There are some pics somewhere on here of a similar thing.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    I was the one who took that call at Cindy’s. We get that request every so often and the only reason we don’t allow it is that our target boards sit too high and the angle of the shot; especially at a close distance would cause baffles to be shot. We do mop the floor with de-lead floor cleaner almost weekly although towards the end of the week I wouldn’t want to get down on the floors.
    I thought you handled it beautifully and very professionally. Coincidentally, this morning there was a young lady who wanted to practice for her Army Reserve rifle quals, also including shooting prone. I think it was her first visit to your shop, and know that she was treated to a first class experience. No floor crawling, though. :lol2:

Spaceballs

Sep 7, 2022
    Pennsylvania
    I was on the rifle team in college. We went to the local indoor range and practiced prone with .22's

Competitions were in various ranges and always had a prone position.

We just sat targets on the floor instead of hanging them on the carriers.

It never seemed weird.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    At face value that seems like an odd request. But, I'll throw this out there. The military still requires shooting from the prone position as part of the pistol qualification table (required for officers). So, perhaps it was a young officer stationed locally that was trying to improve their marksmanship abilities on their free time?

(likely not but you never know)
    You are quite possibly correct. Well done!

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    When I was a kid we'd shoot in the basement of the Marine Reserve Armory behind Northern Parkway Jr High.
    We would always shoot in the prone position there. It's a good thing we did too, after a couple hours of shooting it was hard to see through the haze if you were standing. (The exhaust system never seemed to work very good! LOL!)

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I used to shoot on the Naval academy/NRA youth .22 rifle when I was kid. IIRC we also shot prone indoor at 25.

The issue on a busy public indoor range, lead exposure would be my concern.
    Blood lead tests were a part of our yearly physical because we spent so much time at the range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom