Musings on the viabiity of local gun shops after October 1.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    I have been thinking on the business viability of some local gun shops after October 1. I'm not talking about Bass Pro, of course, or Walmart. But it seems to me there are a number of local shops whose business model has been built around EBRs and large capacity handguns. I have to wonder if there will be enough business selling revolvers, 1911, HBARS and Mini-14/30s along with "Traditional sporting arms" to sustain some of these businesses.

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    Money is a great driver of innovation. Don't count the gun stores out yet. I suspect they'll roll with the punches and make it to fight another day.
    -Jim

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I think they will do fine in continuing to sell "high capacity" handguns and nonregulated Modern Sporting Rifles along with non-evil rifles and shotguns. Customers will just have to get >10 round magazines for their handguns from out of state.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I'm sure MD dealers will be sought after at out-of-state gun shows, since they will have piles of > 10 rd mags for sale. All the mags they couldn't sell with the gun.

CZ Fanboy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 19, 2013
    I know one gun shop in White Marsh is going to Texas, so it looks pretty bleak. I hope the politicians realize what they just did.

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    There may be a few in trouble, but keep one thing in mind, ALL OF THESE HIGH CAPACITY pistols will STILL BE SOLD, just with 10 round mags. I imagine like during the AWB back in 94. The only REAl HIT is going to be on high capacity rifles that I can see. Could be wrong.

Things will definitely NOT be the same....UNLESS...:-) a NRA or MSI lawsuit takes heed and reverse's things! I have my toes and fingers crossed!!

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I know one gun shop in White Marsh is going to Texas, so it looks pretty bleak. I hope the politicians realize what they just did.

They unfortunately rejoice at what they did. They got rid of a gun shop which they think passes out guns like candy to felons and minors.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    As reluctant as many are today to have to get the HQLicense, people will in time. This assumes the law sticks and the lawsuits fail. I'm hopeful the small gun shops will adjust and be able to stay in business.

Next question might be is what is the best non-banned firearm for home defense? Rhetorical question.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Nope , (presuming the HQL sticks ) the handgun market will never be the same. Notwithstanding the avoid/ comply debates among existing enthuiasists , we are a small and finite group. The backbone and future of the industry is fresh blood, those attaining age , and first time buyers. Faced with the expense , hassle , and delays for gratification will disuade huge percentages of first time buyers. For a paralell , look at NFA now. Look at how many of us have thought they'd kinda like to have supressor , or SBR or whatever , but are put off by the expense and long delays. The HQL is moving the choke point to HQLs .I'm predicting handgun sales to be +/- half previous levels. And regulated rifle sales will be zero. Between those , that's a big hunk of sales dollar volume , and profits. A markedly smaller pie can't sustain the same number of slices. I like blue steel and walnut rifles , shotguns , etc but there's not enough unmet pent up demand to expand to support the existing dealer network.

Stores that do an extensive non-gun business can probably still survive. On the flip side those with low overhead , sole proprieter who mainly do it because they like guns, and gives them somthing to do, and a happy to break even , and make some pocket money at the end of the month , can probably still do that. Pure gun stores that need to be profitable will be an endangered species. A number that can already are in the process of relocating out of state. I have long predicted that +/- half of them won't be around at end of 2014 , be it bankruptcy , relocation , or planned shutdown on their own terms.

aireyc

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    It's going to suck for the dealers not releasing in 8 days who sell a lot of regulated rifles at unreasonable prices.

why2kmax

Jacka$$
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury PA
    So this thread just made me thing of something. What happens if you have NFA items at a local gun store waiting out the 10-12 months it takes for BATF to send your stamp and the store has to close its doors before you get the stamp What happens to your property? How do you end up getting it? does it have to be transferred to another FFL and then you start the process all over again? Is there some process in place from BATF for situations like this?

ofofhy

Jan 27, 2013
    Balto City
    As reluctant as many are today to have to get the HQLicense, people will in time. This assumes the law sticks and the lawsuits fail. I'm hopeful the small gun shops will adjust and be able to stay in business.
    How many people turn 21 everyday in the state of MD? A certain percentage of those people will want to purchase a handgun, and they will most likely go through a LGS.

Also, as Minuteman said, people will eventually relent and get a HQL, because afterall, people are going to want to add to their collections. When a new model comes out (of course after it gets on the roster) people will still want it.

What you may see is a version of the grashopper and the ant. Those shops that have built a rapport with their clientele through good customer service and knowledgeable staff will most likely survive. Those that treated customers on al dollar signs might fail.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    From my impression from the one time I went in there, no loss.

Hmm, I got just the opposite impression. They did a transfer on a long gun for me a while back and were reasonable and pleasant to deal with. I also just bought one of their remaining in stock hand guns the other day. A popular model that no one else currently had in stock. The guys behind the counter know firearms, and were very helpful. Besides, anytime a gun shop feels pressure to shut down and move to Texas, just like when an elected pro-2A official decides to throw in the towel and go to Texas, both because of the ass hats in the Governor's office and the legislature see no problem with stomping the Constitution, its a loss.
    :mad54:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom