• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • acwatkins

Aug 29, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    In my years of hunting I have yet to hunt with a muzzleloader. Im looking to change that this year. What would be the muzzleloaders version of a Remington 870? Something cheaper, yet very reliable, common and serviceable? Any brands or models to stay away from? I know next to nothing about them. Bonus points if you or someone you know is looking to get rid of one!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Are you looking to put a scope on it, or are you dead set on iron sights only?

HogCommander

Aug 10, 2013
    Texas Hill Country
    Check out CVA Optima v2. Great performance for the price point. Mine loves 250 grain sabots and 100 grains of Blackhorn 209 powder. Devastating on white tails!

If you get one with a factory scope base, recommend blue Loctite on the screws before zeroing.

Last edited:

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Anything CVA really, the Optima and Wolf in-line muzzle loaders are good choices.

If you want versatility, Traditions PA Pellet muzzle-loader allow you to hunt during the primitive seasons in multiple state also. There are open sights.

jef955

MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2011
    Maryland
    I got my first muzzleloader 2 years ago - A CVA Wolf in stainless steel, and put a VX-Freedom 3-9x40 Muzzleloader UltimateSlam on it, and have been very happy with it. I started with Triple 7 pellets, but moved to loose powder (Triple 7) as it allows you to tailor your load to what will shoot well in your gun. Happy hunting !

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I'd take this out to bag a deer, since it's in me clutchy little hands now. Primarily used a my TC Arms .50 cal Omega. Now I want to wallop them :)

hawkin-jpg.430245

TwinTurbskis

professional amateur
    Jun 9, 2020
    Derwood, MD
    I have a CVA Wolf - Its decent enough for the price point, and I have killed deer with it. It'll get the job done. However, depending on your financial situation you may want to spring for something a bit nicer. I have a love/hate relationship with the Wolf.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    I would look for a nib T/C Omega. Their mid price point ,solid performing rifles.
    Shame they’re out of business.
    For any inline, having a ramrod that’s as long as the barrel is a plus in my opinion.
    Some rifles that hinge open like a single shot shotgun ,the ramrod is shorter than the barrel is long because of how they break open.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I have a CVA Wolf - Its decent enough for the price point, and I have killed deer with it. It'll get the job done. However, depending on your financial situation you may want to spring for something a bit nicer. I have a love/hate relationship with the Wolf.
    What do you hate about the Wolf?

This is the first time I have heard someone say that...

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    In my years of hunting I have yet to hunt with a muzzleloader. Im looking to change that this year. What would be the muzzleloaders version of a Remington 870? Something cheaper, yet very reliable, common and serviceable? Any brands or models to stay away from? I know next to nothing about them. Bonus points if you or someone you know is looking to get rid of one!
    I have the Remington 700ML. It's ok, I don't shoot it that much. It's scoped but has irons that are not very useful at anything past 50yds. It takes 209 primers and is easy to take apart and clean. I like it but there are better options out there. My dad gave it to me as a gift so that is what I use. It's also bullet picky. I only shoot Barnes sabots and they are good out to 100yds, it's a .45cal in the sabot to fit the .50cal bore. Bore butter is your friend. I can't remember the powder I use but I run 120grs. I used to use the pellets but you can only do 50gr increments.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I would like to do this as well given season is fall instead of winter but I cannot find a outdoor range that allows for muzzle loading practice.
    Where are you located? There are a few places near AACo and I like Delmarva Sporting Clays on the eastern shore.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    OP says he's shopping on a Rem 870 budget, so I take that to mean cheap, but decent. What is is you don't like about your CVA Wolf?

TwinTurbskis

professional amateur
    Jun 9, 2020
    Derwood, MD
    What do you hate about the Wolf?

This is the first time I have heard someone say that...

OP says he's shopping on a Rem 870 budget, so I take that to mean cheap, but decent. What is is you don't like about your CVA Wolf?
    Oh boy, I'm about to embarrass myself. I'll start by saying I am not a ML expert by any stretch of the imagination. My only real complaint with my Wolf is the accuracy. I have tried 6 or 7 different sabots and a couple different brands of pellets in varying load sizes trying to find what it likes and nothing will shoot consistently for me. I'm a fairly decent rifle shot with my centerfire guns so I don't believe its me, but even at 50 yards I'll shoot one right thru the bullseye, and then the next shot will be 4 inches off center. Its frustrating because I'll pick up my friends Accura v2 and it is noticeably more accurate with the same kinds of pellets and sabots I am using.

This year I'll be trying loose powder instead of pellets to see if that helps. Please don't flame me too hard haha I'm sure the Wolf is great, I've just had a tough time with mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom